Notifications
Clear all

Murrell's Inlet area food (and drink)

Page 1 / 2

CarolinaDave
(@carolinadave)
Topic starter  

Hey folks, after a long year-plus off, our group is finally heading to the MB area for our annual trip. We've been down 10+ years now, but have always stayed on the north end of things. This time we're venturing further south for a change, staying in the Garden City area and playing some southern area courses. The golf is all set, so now I'm looking for post-round options.

We've been to the marsh walk area in Murrell's inlet a couple of times and had fun. Looking forward to being a lot closer this year and I'm sure we'll check out many (all??) the bars down there.

We are an easy-going group (8 this year) and don't need to over-plan... with that said, it's good to have a few targets in mind. In particular, we'll probably want to have dinner reservations at least one of the nights we're there.

So - suggestions for a good dinner spot? Favorite places for nightlife/bars?

thanks!

jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Gulfstream Cafe in Garden City is top notch.

Conche Cafe is right on the beach in Garden City. Ask to sit outside, ocean view. American Fare.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

If you are playing any PM golf down around Pawleys Island,
there is the premium Frank's and the Italian Gios.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
coastalguy
(@coastal-guy)
Trusted Member

I second Gulfstream cafe, the sunset views are amazing and it sits right on Marlin Quay marina. Also, a good local spot is Island Bar and grill in pawley's island, one of the best burgers I've found down here, it's right near the hammock shops in pawley's.

ReplyQuote
kio57
(@kio57)
Estimable Member

We really enjoyed Hot Fish Club in Murrells Inlet this year.

ReplyQuote
SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Trusted Member

Pretty much anything on the water (i.e. the aforementioned Gulfstream or Conch Cafe), or in the Marshwalk area is going to have great ambiance, good drinks, and mediocre but acceptable food. They don't make their money off great food, they make their money off tourists who want the water views while they eat. The Conch is less than a mile from my condo, and food quality has gone downhill since they reopened post-Covid. They do a decent sandwich, but anything off the entree portion of the menu is going to be sub-standard. Neal and Pam's about half a mile north on Ocean right across from the Surfside Pier isn't right on the water, but right across the street with great water views, and they've got solid pub fare with a GREAT atmosphere, usually some live music going on. Of the places on the Marshwalk, Hot Fish Club is probably the only one that actually has *really good* food, though I've heard good things about the new J. Peters location (their other local locations were always very good). 

If you want casual dining, Greg's Cabana Bar on Business 17 near Walmart is great. Best burgers on the strand, and great ribs. Tuesdays and Thursdays are rib night, you can get a full rack for $13.49, and they're awesome. Very reasonably priced drinks as well.

Malibu Surfside is a small, family-run Italian place on Surfside Ave right off Business 17. Absolutely spectacular food, mom-and-pop ambiance. Really reminds me of a back-alley restaurant in Rome. If Mama's lasagna is available, look no further. Also the best arrabbiata I've had outside of Italy. Very small place, make sure you call at least a week in advance to get reservations.

Pacino's Mediterranean Grill is absolutely fantastic. Italian/Greek/Middle Eastern food, all prepared from scratch. Plan on a slower meal because of it, and make sure you get reservations, it's also very small place. 

If you want a great steak in a more upscale atmosphere, NY Prime in Myrtle Beach or Frank's/Frank's Outback in Pawley's Island are both great choices. If you want serious upscale dining, Perrone's in Pawley's Island is as upscale as it gets, with spectacular food (their garlic and lemongrass mussels are to die for) and great ambiance.

There are a TON of good restaurants in this area, especially if you get away from the more tourist-heavy waterfront areas. If there's anything specific you're looking for, just ask.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

A couple of places we enjoy, one is Lee's Inlet Kitchen and other is Uncle Mikey's Pizza, both on Bus. 17.  River City Cafe is also in that area and there burgers are decent.

ReplyQuote
CarolinaDave
(@carolinadave)
Topic starter  

Thanks all, this is great - good to get your opinions. Our trip isn't for another month, so keep em coming!

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Almost stopped at Greg's Cabana Bar a couple times...but didn't 

Next time, definitely.

Thanks for the great info SecondAndGoal

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

@jw11 Greg's is really nice but will warn you, he is from Pittsburgh and still loves his Pittsburgh Teams. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member

@jbshepherds

Sounds like a smart man!

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member

I've had very good meals at both the Claw House (on multiple occasions) and Drunken Jack's (we've also had Drunken Jack's by way of Brookgreen Gardens and even the catering has been very good).  Lefty mentioned River City Cafe for burgers.  I do not know how they compare to Greg's but the Prime Short Rib Burger at RCC is the best burger I've had in the area.

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

@jbshepherds

Thanks for the info Shep. I will avoid Gregs.

Joking

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jw11

@jbshepherds

Thanks for the info Shep. I will avoid Gregs.

Joking

If it was a Pirates bar I would avoid also. Lol

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Reputable Member

If you desire pizza, then Aroma's is my top rated pizza on the Grand Strand. Heading north on hwy 17 from Murrell's turn left onto 707 and go about 4 miles, they will be on the right. As a reference you'll pass TPC & Blackmoor on the left on 707.

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: