Notifications
Clear all

River Oaks - 5/16  

RSS

mperna2001
(@mperna2001)
Trusted Member
05/18/2020 8:43 am  

I'll start off with the fact I had never played this course prior, one of a handful in the area I haven't played and did not have very high expectations going in. Late Friday I made a last minute decision to play on Sat. morning and was able to find a cheap time on Golfnow at a time I wanted so decided to give it a shot.

I arrived and the gentlemen inside was very nice and welcoming, the guy at the bag drop and the starter as well so the day started off on the right foot. Was told I'd be playing the Fox and Otter 9's. The Fox was the more interesting of the 2 as it has several dog leg holes where the holes on Otter other than #17 were all pretty straight forward. 

Conditions were good, tees, fairways and greens were in good, not great shape for the most part with a few exceptions. The greens here are generally smallish and the course was not long, 6000 from white and 6300 from blue which is what I played. Balls ran out well in the fairway thus lots of wedges into greens. Water comes into play on a few holes but not too penal by any means.

While certainly not one of the best in MB I was pleasantly surprised with this lower tier course and enjoyed the round. For what you pay it is well worth it in my opinion. 

Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Estimable Member
05/18/2020 3:07 pm  

I agree with you.  I played it before the pandemic and it was priced right for what you get.  

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Honorable Member
05/18/2020 6:40 pm  

Thanks @mperna2001 for your report.

River Oaks is a course I haven’t played yet!

Maybe on my agenda for 2021!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
05/18/2020 8:29 pm  

River Oaks installed new greens in 2007 and then renovated the 
Fox + Otter 9's in 2009/2010.   Since then, what few reports we get
on RO have been better than they were before that.   

I haven't seen any info on the Bear 9.  They were going to close it for
development, but that got canceled.   

Thanks for reporting!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
05/19/2020 6:22 am  

I've played with the owner and his son, good sticks. They work very hard to make the course go, it has some fine holes on it. Solid tier 4 and worth the price of admission

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Trusted Member
05/19/2020 3:23 pm  

Haven't played the Bear 9 yet. Only time I've been to River Oaks is their nine hole scramble on Tuesday nights in the offseason. A great weekly event-nine holes, drinks, barbecue, prizes. Just a whole lotta fun with a very relaxed atmosphere. Staff/bag guys are great. Never thought the conditions were less than above average. Been remiss in not playing a "proper" 18 hole round. Nice solid golf. I'd be surprised if it disappoints anyone.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
05/19/2020 4:58 pm  

Your take on River Oaks is spot on, thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Honorable Member
05/21/2020 1:28 pm  

Thanks for the update, it is a course i have skipped over but might be adding it to my list in next few years. Might be a good place to take a daughter to play. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
05/22/2020 7:53 am  

Lower golf course can surprise us sometime. Thanks for sharing!

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Share: