Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Bag Drop Tips  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

Dobbs2u
(@dobbs2u)
February 9, 2019 10:08 pm  

Our group will be heading to Myrtle Beach Mar 30 to April 6. Golfing a 6 round package all south end
again this year. I had posted on this on the previous Forum and would like to get an updated range
of opinions. Having organized our group trip over the past 9 years I have seen the confusion at the
bag drop concerning who is covering the tip today, I got it yesterday etc. Some of my guys I have to
chase for the prize pool money, I hate to think what happens when it's their turn to cover the tip.

So this year I am collecting $18 per person to have $3 per person per day go into an envelope to be
given to the bag drop. I have 2 questions for the forum.

1. Are all bag drops created equal, that is are the tips pooled and shared? If so, who should I hand the
envelope to? the starter? staff in the pro shop? lead guy at the bag drop? And if not, who do you ask?

2. Is $3 per bag enough? Currently our group is 26 so $78 in the envelope per day. I've already
forewarned the group if their clubs are cleaned post round there may be an additional tip
expected.

Thanks for looking,

Bryan

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago 4 times by Dobbs2u

DenisGilbert liked
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
February 10, 2019 7:33 am  

I like your idea of collecting before the trip and paying out at one time at each course. This way you know everyone is doing the right thing and tipping. I tip $5 - $3 is not unfair, but does $5 per make that much difference, I understand if it does. The bag boys/girls split tips. You can identify who is lead - but it shouldn't matter. If the bag boys do any additional work after the round they should be tipped individually as well. Schlepping those heavy golf bags around is not easy. 

Let's hear from the MBN bag drop - I know some of you will be reading this

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Estimable Member
February 10, 2019 10:20 am  

I like this idea of collecting before the trip. What is a good tip per person? I do not know what is the present standard in Myrtle Beach. I would appreciate to know that.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Trusted Member
February 10, 2019 11:41 am  

I have always let our group (16-24) do their own tips because it gives me, the group leader, one less responsibility.  Some are very generous, some less so.  

Our prize and skin money is paid prior to the first round.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Estimable Member
February 10, 2019 1:57 pm  

Hopefully there will be a lot of replies from golfers and course employees.     
Thinking back to early MB trip years, with a group of guys from a no service muni, most 
didn't know about bag drops or tipping carts attendants they hadn't run into before.   

Nobody likes feeling cheap, but they also don't like feeling hustled.  There is no good way 
of knowing if they pool tips or if the attendants are honest with it, so it feels more
comfortable tipping for each service, so one guy doesn't get it all and we don't feel like
we are stiffing anyone.   

It's a good idea to collect tips for the entire group, especially if you know some don't tip 
or are away from the bag drop at loading time.   Since you collect and have 100%
participation, $2 a bag is probably good enough and $3 is generous enough.   
Don't give to the pro shop or starter.  Give to the cart attendant working the hardest and 
say it's for your entire Dobbs group.    If 2 attendants are loading your group, split it
between in case they don't split/pool.   Busier courses have multiple attendants, less busy 
may have only 1 on duty.          

Club cleaning is another situation and should be a separate tip.  No matter how much you 
tip when you arrive, if someone cleans your clubs at the end, 90% of the time it will be 
someone new, who thinks you stiffed them when you don't tip them.  

If you carry your clubs to the bag drop and the attendant later moves your clubs 5 yards 
to a cart, it's worth a tip, but maybe not $5 for one bag, unless they unloaded your car
also.  I feel more comfortable tipping the car unloader and cart loader separste if they are 
different.    If they load 200 bags, that's $1000 in a day, not counting cleanings.     
Obviously working the bag drop at Legends or Barefoot is more lucrative than at
Azalea Sands.      Of course they don't have that volume every day all year and the average
is probably more like $2-3 for cart attendant, not counting cleanings.      

Club cleaning is a different issue.  I followed a long topic about club cleaning in Golfwrx. 
Those who leave their clubs dirty and like the service say tip $2-$5 and many don't want
them cleaned because they clean them after each shot and dirty towels leave spots on clubs.   
Some say they tip at least a $1 for the effort, if their clubs were already clean. Some said no
tip if they were not asked or it was a sneaky no ask.        

A sneaky gold mine for club cleaning is Rivers Edge.  When you pull up to putt on 9 or 18, 
nobody is there.  When you return to the cart, they have started cleaning clubs.   
The club cleaners know that if they can get to your clubs before you stop them, that we 
will tip.        

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by ArtMBGolf

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Estimable Member
February 10, 2019 2:47 pm  

More suggestions:  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
February 10, 2019 6:11 pm  

Serious question. Are some these guys working for green fees? In other words, is the course paying them by giving them green fees or discounted green fees?

I usually tip 3 bucks or so.

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
February 10, 2019 6:36 pm  

I dont tip for club cleaning...if I'm at my bag when they approach, I tell them they're fine and dont need cleaning. If they start without me around, I figure they're taking their chances. 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Estimable Member
February 10, 2019 9:21 pm  
Posted by: herdman

Serious question. Are some these guys working for green fees? In other words, is the course paying them by giving them green fees or discounted green fees?

I usually tip 3 bucks or so.

I think it's common practice that course employees play golf for free on the courses
they work on and probably the sister courses.   They should also be getting at least
minimum wage.     

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by ArtMBGolf

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
February 11, 2019 4:06 am  

Art - tips are split so no one makes 1000 - at MBN they may handle over 700 bags in a day and everything will be split between 6 to 8 people (not sure on the amount) From what I've been told - bag drop guys make about $300 a day in the busy season. And as you said - it depends on the course. I would guess that at BF - people will tip more than at Eagles Nest.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Trusted Member
February 11, 2019 12:00 pm  

I tipped $5 once at Eagle Nest and  the guy was  very appreciative .

He invited me to stop by early in my mext trip and he would get me in his group to play a very nice sister course for a small green fee...

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Trusted Member
February 11, 2019 12:27 pm  

I Tip at the bag drop, 5 bucks for my bag, 10 if my BIL is with me. As for the cleaning, if they clean them i will give them the same, sometimes my BIL and i will split it , he does bag drop and i do cleaning. 

To me they work their butts off, if they are polite, super friendly and do a good job. I have no issue tipping, i will not stiff them, if they are rude or in a bad mood they will get 3 bucks. That way they cant say they dude is a Jerk for not tipping. Everyone has a bad day, could have been a GF or wife got on him, car issues or something else. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Trusted Member
February 11, 2019 12:34 pm  

I do normally give 3 $, 5 $ if the service is above normal!

That said, I really dislike when someone wants to clean my clubs after a round!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by DenisGilbert

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

Chris14race liked
ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Trusted Member
February 11, 2019 1:28 pm  

I agree Denis.

I don't like that either.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

DenisGilbert liked
ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Estimable Member
February 11, 2019 3:01 pm  

The one bag guy I know gets so much $$ an hour from the course, his tips are pooled with the other guy he works with that morning, then they split the $$,  plus he gets free golf at the courses that are associated with his.  He also hooks up in a bag guy golf outing once a week for cart fees, he does tip 3  to 5 bucks those days.  The worst tippers he says are the locals, he loves the out of town golfers as they " get it " he says..  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share: