Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

The Granddaddyt - P...

The Granddaddyt - Pine Lakes  

RSS

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 9, 2019 5:52 pm  

On a coldish blustery day - Pine Lakes was in excellent condition. Off the path and dry - not much schmutz on the ball in the fairway.

The good - Nice layout in very good condition. A couple of very long par 4's and par 3's. Rolling hills, good bunkering and not a ton of water (though it's there). The greens at PL tend to be good but slow, today they were a little faster - probably a 9 to 9.5. Rolled true - overseeded. Fairways were really good and the cart paths are well above average. Great guys on the bag drop. They had the marshal at the first tee in a kilt - a little cold for that!

The bad - The first hole is an excellent hole - but not as the first hole as all shots on the left tend to keep rolling left into the water which is just left of the fairway - and if you hit it right you're blocked by the trees. It's a short hole which is good - it just would be better somewhere else on the course. There is no driving range.

I like PL - it can get a long for shorter hitters, but today they had the tees up a little which helped. It's a very solid if not outstanding layout. My favorite holes are 2, 4, 8, 14, and 17. You can't go wrong playing PL. I call it Tier 3 in tier 2 condition.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
February 9, 2019 7:55 pm  

The current PL #1 used to be #10 on the old course.  The current #10 was a good first 
hole, but is probably #10 now, so the course can finish on the current #18. 

Hole #3 used to be a par 5.  They added a lake by the green and made it a brutal par 4, a bit
shorter than it was before.       

Thanks!

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 9, 2019 8:01 pm  

3 is tough. Driver driver today   All the years I came to mb we never played there. Played pl about 6 months after moving here 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
February 9, 2019 9:29 pm  

I really like Pine Lakes. I like older courses and I always enjoy playing it.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Estimable Member
February 10, 2019 10:12 am  

"The bad - The first hole is an excellent hole - but not as the first hole as all shots on the left tend to keep rolling left into the water which is just left of the fairway - and if you hit it right you're blocked by the trees. It's a short hole which is good - it just would be better somewhere else on the course." (Undercovr Pro)

Totally agree with UGP, many balls goes in this lake, on the left side of the tee-off. If the fairway was wider, it would be a more easy hole. The fairway is very tight at a 150-160 yards to the hole.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Estimable Member
February 11, 2019 1:39 pm  

Played PL 7-8 times since I'm coming to Myrtle Beach (before and after the renovations) and did always appreciate all my rounds!

And always had difficulties with the long 3rd hole!

Thanks again for reporting UGP.

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Estimable Member
February 11, 2019 2:51 pm  

PL was one of the first courses I played back in 69, it was a fair test then, with the improvements they did it is much more playable I feel, thanks again for your report. 

ReplyQuote
Share: