Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Winter Kill  

RSS

Last year, late May the courses were mostly in less than ideal shape. I am wondering what we could expect for a May 15 thru 24 trip this year? I know it's difficult to tell the future but I'd be interested in some "best guesses". 

Thanks,

Shack

6 Answers

It appears that MB has had an average to better than average winter for temps
and nothing like last winter.      

I am guessing that winter kill should be little to nothing.  It's still too early to know.   
The bermuda has to be growing again to really know.   

My thoughts are that any bad greens this spring are probably a result from a poor recovery 
from last year.   We also heard that a lot of courses got greens covers and probably only 
needed them a few days this winter.      

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

Courses should be in very good shape for you - good weather year for overseeding. The greens I've played that didn't overseed were all excellent. You should be good for your trip. MBN put the covers on for two nights. Very little cold weather this winter.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

I think like others said, milder winter so far and unless they get a cold snap they will be fine. looks like alot of course took extra precautions with green covers. To much money to loose if not. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to our visit in May.

This winter season we have seen no winter kill whatsoever and all courses have been better then in years past, for your time coming down I would say do not worry.

We didn't have the same kind of winter this year that we had last year to cause the Winter Kill. Everyone is just fine, last year was an anomaly. This is my 22nd year selling tee times in MB, the words: Winter Kill had never been used until last year. Plus over 30 courses purchased green covers to utilize when the temps get into the 20's. The area learned from last year and has improved it's maintenance practices, so as a general rule, you'll find better turf conditions this year than in years past. 

Brian Noblin
Myrtle Beach Golf Talk
Myrtle Beach Golf Packagers
Tidewater Golf Vacations
844-706-7503

Share: