Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

First Golf Course I...

First Golf Course In Myrtle Beach....  

Page 3 / 3
   RSS

I was just wondering if forum members can remember the first course they ever played while visiting Myrtle Beach??

For myself.... it was Oyster Bay in the fall of 1995!!  I fell in love with Myrtle Beach and have been taking fall golf trips with my buddies ever since!!  It will be interesting to see some of the answers and if these courses are still open.

Myrtle Beach National Southcreek in December 1979 or 1980

44 Answers

Might be able to help you get on a couple of these courses since you are a member of a private club. Either I or Quevy might have to play with you.

Contact me before you come and let's see what can be set up.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

Brian can book you on BHI and I'm pretty sure the Cane Patch par 3 is now closed.

Cane Patch is closed.

"Cane Patch is closed."

Well, crap...missed opportunity.  

Another one I missed was the grass putt-putt course up in NMB.  I heard it was not longer either.  

But the driving range of Cane Patch is still open. They closed the Par 3 there in 2017.

That grass mini-golf in NMB was awesome and yes it is now closed.

First trip to MB was May 1980. Played Raccoon Run (long ago closed), then Azalea Sands, Pine Lakes, and then an unexpected invitation to Surf Club. I remember someone telling me to not play the courses with animal names (Raccoon Run was proof of that), but I did like the Big Cats courses a few years later.

@hookerpusher

Those who said don't play the animal name
courses, got that idea before Ocean Ridge Big Cats was built.

I think it was in October 2002.   I was about to lose my job, my big brother called me and asked if I wanted to go.  I said I don't have the $.  He said it's my treat.

Stayed somewhere on the beach. One of the Sands places.

Played Sandpiper Bay, Oyster Bay, Legends Moorland, MBN West and finished with Barefoot Love. At the time BFL had the best service and friendliest staff of any place I had ever played. 

Fell in love with Myrtle that trip.  Have been down 3 more times and coming down for my 60th birthday this year. 

Posted by: @happy26

Have been down 3 more times and coming down for my 60th birthday this year. 

60 is a big one - I remember it fondly  Great place to experience it

First trip to MB was July 2000 with my in laws - not sure of the order but played

Belle Terre executive (now closed) - almost positive we played this first

The others were, Love, King's North and World Tour (all 27 holes).

Belle Terre was suppose to target the business people. It  fails. I played one time with Art. Not a bad track at all. It was near Arrowhead if my memory is not out of bound.

Belle Terre was interesting.  Nothing has happened there except some shopping
around the entrance. 

Correct, it's Near AH.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

First for our group was Cape Fear National about 7 years ago - it was fantastic, and we have been talking about heading back up North to play it again, even though it seems to have vanished from package play options.

I think that first year we played:  Cape Fear, River's Edge, Carolina National, Crow Creek and Founders Club, which was the beginning of our annual May trip.

Posted by: @ugulini

think that first year we played:  Cape Fear, River's Edge, Carolina National, Crow Creek and Founders Club, which was the beginning of our annual May trip.

How did Founders Club get on that list - that's some serious driving!

@undercover-golf-pro

we were Myrtle rookies, and before we found this forum, used a different person to book with. Needless to say, after making the change to Brian a couple years in, we have had a much better time. To be honest though, we didn't mind the drive that first year. Saw the whole Grand strand and on the way back searched out some more central spots to stay and play in the 7 or so years that have followed on since.

All good courses and all worth the drive. Our first trip in 81 we did as serious driving as you could with out the really spread out courses that we now have. Bay Tree was way out from 501!

Page 3 / 3
Share: