Notifications
Clear all

Wachesaw East

SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Mrs. SecondandGoal and I have been playing Wachesaw East pretty regularly over the last few weeks. We're members at the International Club, and because of the conditions at IC, they're giving us reciprocal rights at Wachesaw East through the end of the month. 

I had only played WE once previously, and as it was then, the conditions are excellent. Fairways are thick and lush. Rough is thick but playable. Greens are in excellent shape (the 12th has a large spot in the back left where it looks like a repair didn't take, but other than that, almost perfect). Rolling quick but not overly fast, maybe somewhere around a 10-11. They look so smooth that looking at them, you'd think they're going to roll at more like a 12-13. A couple of the tee boxes are a bit sparse, but not enough to be a problem.

I've been struggling getting off the tee box lately, so this is a VERY challenging track for me. It's moderately long, and most of the fairways are tight, with plenty of trouble and smaller landing areas. Not an excessive number of bunkers around the greens, but the ones that are there are well placed to bring them into play on a lot of approach shots.

The 17th is a great hole. It's a par 5, reachable in 2 with a well-placed drive. There's some visual intimidation in the form of a marsh/pond right in front of the tee box, but it's really only in play in your head. The fairway is a plateau. A miss left leaves you, at best, down in a very large swale with a big tree blocking most of the angle for a return shot to the fairway. There's also a well-below-grade creek along the left side that the terrain feeds balls toward. If you miss left, it's a very good chance the ball will roll down into the creek. Missing right puts you down below grade as well, with a good possibility of rolling off the plateau fairway into the woods. If you happen to stripe one down the middle of the fairway, the green is reachable in two, but it's a VERY well-protected green, and not all that big. A good layup can get you within 50 yards of the middle of the green.

The landing area for a layup is fairly generous, with a pond on the right side that comes into play primarily if you've missed the fairway. There's also a deep, meandering creek bed in front of the elevated green. The green slopes from back to front, with a very steep slope feeding back into the creek bed on the left. There's also a small bunker with an elevated lip in the front-center of the green that comes into play with every approach shot. When it's a front pin, they love to tuck the pin behind the left side of the bunker, just at the top of the slope leading down to the creek. I've had two shots with a lob wedge land right next to that pin, only to spin back enough to catch the hill and roll down into the creek. Depending on the weather, the creek may very well be dry enough to climb down and hit out of, but you'd better be really confident in your flop shot to try it. Bottom line, though: if it's a front pin, stop thinking birdie. Hit it to the middle of the green, 2-putt, and walk away happy with a par.

leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Always enjoy a game at WE, that 17th holes little creek in front of the green has caught us several times over the years.  Thanks for your report.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Thanks @secondandgoal for reporting about a course that I have played only once so far!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Thanks for the update.

I played Wachesaw East once...long ago.

I believe they used to host a tournament there. LPGA qualifier perhaps ??

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jw11

Thanks for the update.

I played Wachesaw East once...long ago.

I believe they used to host a tournament there. LPGA qualifier perhaps ??

When Wach East first opened, it hosted a real LPGA event for a few years.  
I saw Julie Inkster on the plane from Charlotte to MB. 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Thanks for the update, i am playing there this summer. Glad to hear it is looking good. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

Great update. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. 

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
Share: