Notifications
Clear all

Hit or Miss Conditions  

RSS

S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
11/16/2019 9:02 am  

I have read most of the recent trip reports and quick updates and what it surprise me is the hit or miss conditions on the golf courses in Myrtle Beach. You have to do some scouting before making a tee time, because most courses down there could be in excellent shape or in poor shape at any given time. In 2-3 weeks apart you can have nearly perfect conditions during one round of golf and barely playable two or three weeks after. Am i wrong or not? So it is almost impossible, when planning a trip, to predict 2 or 3 months before which golf course will be in a good shape. In some states, like Arizona and Florida, it appears to me that the conditions are easier to predict. Maybe that i am out of bound. Just between us 😊 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
11/16/2019 9:15 am  

Conditions can change quickly in MB.  When I schedule our group's trip six to eight months in advance, I generally select courses with a reputation of having consistent conditions (ie - Farmstead, Thistle, Wild Wing, etc.).  What is really bothersome is paying high fees for a Tier 1 course and finding it in less than acceptable shape.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
11/16/2019 11:22 am  

It is a bit of a crap shoot here in MB during the winter months, you can be sure of soft conditions at most courses due to the over seeding, anything short of the green will not bounce up like summer conditions back home.  Prices are not to bad at most decent courses when using the Passport or other local cards.  Last year we played True Blue and found not so great conditions the day we played and greens were not good.  Places like any of the MBN courses, River Hills,  Farmstead, Crow Creek, Wild Wing, and Heritage are generally better then average as a rule we find, bottom line is it is hit or miss but at least we are playing and not shoveling the white stuff.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
11/16/2019 1:00 pm  

@tadpole

I agree with you Tadpole. If you are a leader of a group, you have to select some golf courses having a reputation of excellent conditions. Just wondering which golf courses it is possible to put on this list today in Myrtle Beach. Chances are better with top tier golf courses, like True Blue, Caledonia and Heritage. However, as a leader sometimes you have a budget to respect and you have to choose some golf courses in the top 2 tier and even top 3 tier groups. If so, you are at risk as a leader. If your choice is wrong, some members of your group can be angry to play on courses with bad conditions. So, it is not easy to select.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
11/16/2019 1:08 pm  

@leftygar1

It is possible to identify some golf courses with consistent conditions all along the year in Myrtle Beach. However, during the winter, the conditions are different and fluctuating. On your list, i would add to those you mentionned all the golf courses at Barefoot. And there are probably others.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
11/16/2019 3:09 pm  

@s333h

For me I can only speak for the winter time conditions, there are also more courses to add to the short list I wrote down.  Last year many of the  courses were in good shape as the weather was very nice, so far this year it has been good, but my fear is a cooler winter will lead to some spotty conditions, sure praying I am wrong.  Just to clarify my MBN courses, I meant all 22 not just the 3 off of 501, although True Blue was disappointing.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
11/16/2019 3:45 pm  

A lot of hit or miss has to do with timing and maintenance.  The greens can be great
one day and aerated the next.   Now with most courses having hybrid bermuda and a
few still with old bermuda, big hole aeration is done in the summer.  The few bent 
green courses aerate greens in summer and early or late winter.   

Overseeding can result in good before it's watered hard and wet CPO after. 

When booking a group months in advance, favor courses that have been consistant. 
If summer, check the aeration date list.      

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/16/2019 4:42 pm  

In Arizona they have perfect weather for winter golf - slight frost in the morning and usually a warm day by 9 or 10. Florida courses fight some of the same weather as MB but warmer and rarely a frost. Both AZ and FL charge considerably more to play as winter is their peak season, and they will typically be in better condition than MB (But not some of the private clubs like Surf and Dunes)

As a former course owner, it's tough to have pristine conditions every day simply because of mother nature. Last couple of days we had 2 inches of rain on already soft courses, and now pretty cold and windy. Overall my belief is that the MB courses do a pretty good job - other than water too much!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
11/16/2019 9:03 pm  

It's tougher in Myrtle Beach compared to Florida & Arizona because the former is in a transition zone as far as grasses are concerned and the latter two not so much. This means there will be a chunk of time in the Fall where the fairways will be thin from scalping and wet from watering the overseed, and there will be another transition period in June when the overseed dies off but the Bermuda hasn't filled in yet. Even the Dunes Club last June was in rough shape when the Rye overseed died off and they topdressed all the fairways with sand!

The biggest dates to watch are the aerification dates. My rule of thumb is give each course 3 weeks after aerating. Fortunately there's enough courses so some of them will aerate the last week of May and some will wait until late June. So there's always a course in prime shape to play.

Then there are courses you don't want to play after a rain event. Some courses drain great (Dunes, Pine Lakes, Surf Club, Arcadian Shores, Grande Dunes Resort) and some courses don't (Wachesaw East, Wild Wing, Shaftesbury, Thistle).

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
11/17/2019 8:49 am  

@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer

I agree with you 1putt1. I started this thread because it is difficult to choose when it is the best period of the year to go in Myrtle Beach. With the time, we have constated that the first two weeks of March in Myrtle Beach are habitually cold and windy. This year, we will be there in the middle of March until the first week of April, for 3 weeks. At this time of the year, the golf courses are habitually just recovering from the winter. And conditions are different on each golf course.  So, it is important to read the quick updates and the trip reports in MBGT for to select those in good condition. It is just a question of perception. For one golfer one golf course could be in good condition, and, for the same course, for an another golfer this could be very different. We have our own standards. 

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
11/17/2019 10:38 am  

Should have mentioned this - we are a fall group going to MB the first full week of October.  Weather is usually really good that time of year, except for the threat of hurricanes!  We play before over-seeding happens.  

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
11/18/2019 12:21 pm  

Golf is hard to keep Pristine conditions unless you have a HUGE budget and even then it can be hard. I think those guys do a great job with what they have to deal with, along with high traffic. 

It is like soccer, when you have grass field, it gets beat up no matter the maintenance you put into it. after 2 seasons, tournaments and practices by fall the fields look rough. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
roosking1
(@roosking1)
11/19/2019 6:52 pm  

I agree that course conditions are hit or miss and mostly miss in my opinion.  I have been organizing a trip to MB for last 30 years or so at end of April or first of May.  This is what I consider should have been peak for course conditions since their fees are near the max for the year.  After having a couple of years with less than ideal conditions I said I have had enough.   We usually played top tier courses so expectations were for good conditions particulary the greens.   If I am paying 125-150$ for 18 holes I have high expectations.  Three years ago we quit going to MB and have been to RTJ, Bandon and Pinehurst the last three years.  In general course conditions have been much better particuarly last year in Pinehurst area.  Greens were spectacular and other course conditions were good.  Maybe conditions in MB will improve in future but for now will forgo MB and play other places.  Its too bad since we had some fun times at MB.

There were usually 12 on the trips and we probably spent at least 20K for the week.   The golf business in MB needs to do some work to improve their product as evidenced by the continuing course closings.

Best Regards

Roosking

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Estimable Member
11/21/2019 10:58 am  

I will say this. I have a place in the Grand Strand.  I live in the Triangle area of NC. The beauty of Grand Strand is the overall package of a bunch of courses, food, entertainment, etc.  Something there for everyone in a short distance. My biggest complain with the Grand Strand courses are typically the greens even on top courses are so, so as compared to areas like Pinehurst. I don't know why, but my guess is the amount of play. The Myrtle Courses stay busy all the time and they don't take or have the time to do all the maintenance. I have noticed that course conditions in the Myrtle area have gone down through the years, but I think that has to do with money. Most courses in Myrtle do overseed and many in the Pinehurst area do not. So, I do like that about the Myrtle area.      

ReplyQuote
Share: