Wizard 11.14.19  

RSS

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/14/2019 6:22 pm  

On a cold and windy day we braved The Wizard. The greens were fabulous. Rolling about 11 and smooth. Bent grass is made for this time of year. Wall to wall over seed - the course was in great condition, they've kept the roughs very manageable. Wizard is a good tier 3 layout in tier 2 conditions (greens tier 1)  I will miss this course when (if) it becomes housing. I played with a gentlemen that lives on MOW - he said the plan is for 800 homes and it will be hell to pay to get in and out of the development,

For now, go play Wizard - another course with three great finishing holes. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
11/14/2019 7:29 pm  

Enjoyed that course with JW11 few years back. Also like MOW always in very good shape.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
11/14/2019 8:04 pm  

Since Wizard is overseeded, that indicates that they expect to be open for Spring 
play.   

The main Carolina Forest road is being widened. 
I don't know about the road into the development.

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/15/2019 7:45 am  
Posted by: @artmbgolf

I don't know about the road into the development

According to my source, the back end of the property will dump out on Postal Way with access to 501 North only. Doesn't sound like fun. They are working feverishly on Carolina Forest Road - much faster than what they did on 707. Probably done in two years 

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Estimable Member
11/15/2019 9:53 am  

The Wizard is a nice mid-tier course.  Enjoyed playing there and hope it stays a golf course.

How much traffic can they load onto Rt. 501?  With all the business along side of it there does not seem to be much of a way to widen the road.  I avoid the area completely when in MB.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/15/2019 10:01 am  
Posted by: @tadpole

How much traffic can they load onto Rt. 501?

Having to drive 501 every day would not be fun. I drive it enough coming and going to the courses that are on it.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
11/15/2019 10:21 am  

@tadpole

If you can avoid the 501 at the end of the day, it is better. But if you play in the afternoon, it is not possible. So, with the years, i made up my mind to accept this situation and to be very patient. Or, i try to take my tee time before 9 am.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/15/2019 10:46 am  

Unfortunately I get stuck on 501 in the afternoon too often!

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
11/15/2019 12:18 pm  

Wizard is a course i enjoyed playing totally. Nice to hear good things about it. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
11/15/2019 12:54 pm  
Posted by: @undercover-golf-pro

According to my source, the back end of the property will dump out on Postal Way with access to 501 North only. Doesn't sound like fun. They are working feverishly on Carolina Forest Road - much faster than what they did on 707. Probably done in two years 

During my Oct trip, I used Postal Way for the first time to get from MBN to 
Sam Sneads.   That was a good way to get to Carolina Forest from MBN, without 
using 501.    If a Wizard development can empty to Postal Way, then drive to the MBN 
road or Carolina Forest Blvd, they can get to 501 in any direction.   

Anyone buying a home around Carolina Forest should notice the traffic issues before
buying there.       

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
11/15/2019 3:09 pm  

Agree with you on the Wizard, great greens for this time of year and IMO not really a bad layout with some very good holes on it.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
11/15/2019 4:16 pm  

Thanks UGP!

Played there only once and did really appreciate my golf experience!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Share: