Putting with the pi...

Putting with the pin in?  

Page 1 / 2
   RSS

What's your take on putting with the pin in - I have left it in for long putts (not that I have many!) to speed up play. I will also tap in very short putts such as when cleaning up a chip or pitch - or a pimped hybrid (thank you JW for that description). Haven't left the pin in when it's over a foot or so - need to try that soon. Of course, many on this forum live in the cold climes and haven't had the opportunity to try the new rules.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

We are getting our first real snow of the winter today.  I managed to play twice right after the first of the year.  I will probably leave the pin in on long putts because my home course has very large greens.  The pin will provide a better view of the hole.

My feeling is the Purest type golfer will not be comfortable with the pin in, for me and the guys I play with not a big deal.  Only problem I can see if the putt that gets away from you and the pin does not stop it   ?  ? 

27 Answers

I have not play yet with the new rules. I will left the pin in for the very long putts and the very short ones. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Putting with the pin in during matches and tournaments is useful on long putts, where
we don't need to have the pin attended or tap ins about chipping it next to the hole.   

I see no advantage to putting with the pin in, except in situations where the green is fast 
and the putt is very downhill, where our thought is that the putt could race way by, even if 
we are careful.  Even in those cases, maybe we only hit the pin 1 out of 50 times.   Think of 
all the times you putted off the fringe with the pin in and how few times you hit the pin. 

If you putt with the pin in on make-able putts, it's only a matter of time before a putt bounces 
off the pin and you feel it was in without the pin.    We have all seen over the years some chips 
hit too hard, that bang the pin and go in, but also some rolling gently that bounce off.          

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

The flip side is where the ball hits the hole but doesn't go in (seems to happen a lot to me!) and maybe with pin in it would have deaden the ball. Regardless - you'll always question the results. Several of the tour players are leaving the pin in and rules officials are worried that the rule has made it easier for players when their intention was to just speed up play (which it does)

Dave Pelz has done extensive  testing on this and he says to leave the pin in.

Over  the long term, you will make more putts.

Now, the powers-that-be are saying they never intended to make putting easier, but we're just trying to speed up the game.

They may now reconsider this rule.

Heard interview this morning on XM RADIO's Golf Channel 

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

I’m just going to lay the pin behind the hole and be done with it 

That's funny UGP

I've putted with the pin in on several occasions,  but it just seems strange.

I'll give it a try for a hole round and see if I can get used to it.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

Laying the pin down behind the hole is very effective at the Surf Club

I'm about three months away before trying to play with that rule!

In the meantime, it's -29 degrees Celsius (you read properly, MINUS 29) with the windchill factor up here in Quebec City... and looking for some little compassion please! 😉

That said, "great" weather to listen to the NFL Playoffs... or the PGA Tour later this evening! 😉

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

You live in a weird country, Denis!!  ? 

So this may be obvious to everyone but me but how exactly does leaving the pin in speed up play? I get not letting caddies read putts can speed up play but I don't recall seeing people waiting for the pin to be pulled. 

Usually by the time the longest putt golfer is ready, one of the golfers closer to the hole
removes the pin.    The first or 2nd golfer holed out should pick up the pin. 
Time savings isn't a factor for most groups.   Those wanting the pin put back in will be wasting 
time.     

I was think speed up the pros, now I get it. But like you say Art if there are 2-4 players one person just pulls the pin and tends or lays it down. Are we really concerned with speeding up singles?

Several times today, the first person to putt didn't wait for someone to walk up and take the pin out (they were long putts). I'd say we picked up a couple of minutes in the round.

-29 would be great golfing weather if it's sunny and not windy!!! I sure don't miss living in Minneapolis!

If i am with a group, i follow what they do and remove the pin. Dont want to cause a stir, if i am playing alone i will leave it in, doesnt bother me at all. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

My feelings exactly Shep. 

All the ol' pros that taught me the game always said. "The only thing the flag stick can do is keep a good putt from going in."

Page 1 / 2
Share: