Clear all

Barefoot Resort 5/21-24

7 Posts
6 Users
1 Likes
(@ncbrownie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Group of 8 played all 4 Barefoot courses and stayed at the Yacht Club Villas.

Golf

Comments pertaining to all four courses:  Tee Boxes, greens, and fairways very good conditions.  Dye greens were in best condition.  Traps were not in best of shape. Pace of play kinda what you expect for a resort course..about 4:45 round.  Rangers  come around with water and attempt to keep rounds under 5 hours. Beverage carts come around frequently but do not have any sandwiches, just snack items.  Dye has its own clubhouse and range.  Other 3 all operate out of common clubhouse.  Range for those three require a shuttle ride which is a little klunky.  Food in clubhouse is good and reasonably priced.  I found all 4 courses difficult and especially for higher handicappers, check your egos and play correct tees which there is one down from what you might regularly play.  Combination of hazards, wind and playing at sea level will have their negative effect.  None of the courses return to the clubhouse after 9th hole so plan accordingly.

5/21 Fazio:  Lots of sand, much it of it very much in play.  Many traps around greens are deep.  

5/22 Norman:  Lots of traps, not sure what's in them.  Looked like dirt to me.  Unless you got a hardpan lie it was very difficult to hit out of them, disappointing.

5/23 Dye:  Great conditions.  Most traps play as waste areas and I preferred that.  I like this layout the best.

5/24 Love:  Liked the layout.  The ruins are a head scratcher.  Most do not come into play.  They appeared to me as some using new materials to build something very old.

Our group's ranking of the courses were 1-Dye, 2-tie between Fazio and Love, 4-Norman 

Lodging

Stayed at Yacht Club villas.  5 minute drive to courses. A little worn but spacious.

Dining

Could not get group to venture out so we ate at Putters ( next to driving range) 2 nights and Marina Grill one night.  Both have OK pub grub.  Marina Grill which was a 5 minute walk from our condo has great happy hour and some nice seafood options.  Disappointed in Putters wings.  They were huge but undercooked and sauce di not have much flavor, would not recommend.  Pizza and stromboli's were good.

Misc

I-95 from the I-40 split to NC/SC border is almost all under construction.  Lanes are tight and speed limit is 60.  Not an enjoyable ride.  

Amazing the amount of condo, house and apts being built near Barefoot.

The Market near the Yacht Club is a convenience store that could be a great amenity but other then beer not much in there.  Thought for sure they would be some grab and go breakfast items but nothing.

DenisGilbert reacted
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Famed Member

I played BF Dye + Love on my recent trip.   I also noticed better conditions 
on Dye.  I think Dye has a better/thicker overseed on fairways + greens, 
probably as a result of hosting the Hootie Monday After The Masters 
tournament. 

BF Dye does return to the clubhouse after 9. 

Thanks for your report!     

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
(@ncbrownie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@artmbgolf 

Art, you are correct about Dye returning to clubhouse after 9...thanks for the correction.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Very good trip report @ncbrownie!

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Thank you for the great report Brownie !

Much appreciated 

jw11 

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Thanks for the updates on the courses, we are playing the Love this summer. 

Let the Big Dawg Bark!!!

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Thanks for your take on the 4 Barefoot Courses, each one has its own uniqueness, traps as you found out are not so good. 

ReplyQuote
Share: