A08 in the heezy!  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Artist08
(@artist08)
Eminent Member
07/14/2019 6:20 pm  

Just a brief recap of a family trip from this past week to MB.  First a couple of observations:

1.  People from Ohio seem to drive slow in the left lane in every state.

2.  Every time I seem to enter a public restroom someone seems to have just taken a fresh dump or is in the process of stinking it up. Explosive diarrhea?

3.  I want to be just like Tony Romo, so I bought some Skechers.  Silky!

4.  People at the beach sure like to be inked up!

5.  The north course at MBN has officially changed its name to Kings Borth.

Left Friday, stopped in Winston-Salem and ate at Village Tavern, then spent the night in Pinehurst.  

Sat AM - Dormie Club - was rained out part way through the round last year, so got to use a rain check.  I made an 8:00am tee time so I could play and get back to the hotel and get my family.  I was done by 10:40, so didn’t even need the late check out.  Course was in good shape.  Could these have been bent grass greens?  Played from the blue tees (one from the back) and there was some long par-4s.  Hitting 5 or 6-irons into the green for me usually doesn’t mean easy birdie.  I prefer wedges...lol.  I had to make a 20-footer on 18 for par to shoot 72 (+1), which I guess I can’t complain about.  They were re-doing most of the bunkers so it was a free drop, but it was so weird because it seemed like there was a foam bottom with Nature Stone all around it before adding sand.  Strange.

Sun AM - Surf Club (w/ Quevy and UGP) - Beautifully conditioned old-school layout.  Fast greens (12?), which were great, but don’t get above the pin!  Company was great, as well.  I think UGP wants a mini-driver because he hit mine pretty good.  Played the back tees and shot 72 (as per UGP’s report).  And, yes, I told him he could play whatever tees he wanted.

Dinner (Sat)- Boardwalk Billy’s - make sure to go during happy hour.  I got wings and sushi roll specials.  Landshark on tap - mmmm!  The place next door has a really nice outdoor patio / stage area.

Dinner (Sun) - Chuck’s for happy hour - who doesn’t love a big chalice of beer and a steak?

Mon PM - King’s North (aka Borth) w/ UGP - made sure to play the white tees this time!  Of course UGP immediately reaches #10 (started on back) in two for an easy birdie!  It really was fun taking some aggressive lines with my tee shots on a couple of holes.  If you saw the video clip of my drive on #1 you saw that I hit a 7-iron into the green - true.  It was a nice par.  Hit a great drive on the Gambler, hit the green in two - and...three-putted.  Had a great time, as always, with UGP.  Shot 71.  Greens were just verticut so definitely more grainy and not quite Surf Club speed.  Overall - how do you beat the layout, conditioning and tee options of a course like this?  I always love coming here and I know UGP feels the same.

Dinner - Oscar’s - a family favorite.  No, telling them that you’re from PA does NOT give you a discount.

Tues PM - KN w/ Quevy and Miguel - played from the gold tees (one from the back).  Quevy was silky smooth except for the Gambler.  I hit the island and the green in two again - this time managed to tw0-putt.  I was -1 going into 18 and for the second day in a row hit it in that stupid, stupid pond on the right.  After a drop, shot on the green and three putts, shot 73.  It was a pleasure playing with these two!

Dinner - Mellow Mushroom - another family favorite.

Wednesday - no golf.  Massage at Tao.  If the girl gives you a choice between “medium” or “strong” for your massage, don’t pick strong.  I thought she was trying to kill me.  I held my breath and grunted as she dug her elbows into my back.  No foot action this time.  

Dinner - Ducati’s - extensive menu and another family favorite.  I had eggplant parm and enjoyed it - almost finished it all, too.  Stopped by Broadway and saw the fart guy in front of Kligg’s.  My MIL’s boyfriend claimed that some couple tried to pickpocket him so BEWARE!

Thursday PM - Arrowhead - Brian sent me out here and said it was in great shape - very true!  Played with a guy from NY who is moving down for good, so played from the whites.  I think he shot 120 and lost about a dozen balls, but was a very nice guy.  Putting was not great, but managed a 69.  Those new greens are still very good and rolled very well.  Fairways and rough were in good shape, tee boxes were a bit shaggy.

Dinner - Dead Dog Saloon - use call-ahead seating if you’re going here.  There was a two-hour wait for some folks that just showed up and put their names in.  Food was ok, but not spectacular.  We sat outside and some sort of seeds from a palm tree kept falling on my head and in my drink - it was really aggravating.  There was a guy playing solo acoustic on the Claw House patio that thought he was pretty funny.  He couldn’t sing worth a $hit, though, and wasn’t really funny.

Friday AM - Surf Club w/ 1putt1 - see my write up in the course section.  It was awesome to finally play here and Bob and Buddy were great to play with, too.  Bob had to get tired of me asking if I could carry all the FW bunkers, though.  Thanks again, Bob!

Dinner - Brisket - I believe this place is fairly new.  Not real big and was fairly crowded.  Tried the deviled eggs and homemade pork rinds - very tasty.  Had the brisket and ribs and they were pretty good.  Tasted the collared greens and they were excellent.  Had the “award-winning” Mac n’ cheese as one of my sides.  It made me wonder who the challengers were.  Not great.

Played one of the longest rounds of mini golf afterwards.  I thought about just throwing my ball into one of the ponds so I could quit.  A group of seven held everyone up behind them.  Ugh!

Overall it was another enjoyable adventure in MB.

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/14/2019 6:30 pm  

I have officially asked the Founders group to change the name KN to Kings Borth - they like the name too. Good playing and enjoyable report. Look forward to your next trip

UGP Quevy  Artist

The pic is A08 Quevy and UGP

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/14/2019 6:57 pm  

Very interesting golf report. Golf seems too easy for you, 1putt1 and UGP. Are you a professionnal like UGP? Thanks for your course update!

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
07/14/2019 10:53 pm  

Lots of great playing from long tees.  

Thanks for a great report, covering everything.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
07/15/2019 2:56 am  

Nice write up.

Appreciate the restaurant reports . That's an important part of the trip.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
kio57
(@kio57)
Trusted Member
07/15/2019 8:07 am  

I laughed at your mention of OH drivers. Seems that people in Charleston feel the same way or worse!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/705761691/make-charleston-great-again-shirt

Great report!

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
07/15/2019 11:25 am  

Good playing and thank for the report

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
07/15/2019 7:10 pm  

Thanks for sharing your trip. Very good scoring as well I know you and UCP and 1putt1 had a very competitive rounds.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/16/2019 8:44 am  

From A08 -I think UGP wants a mini-driver because he hit mine pretty good.

That Taylor made mini driver is awesome off the deck! I may look at getting one!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/16/2019 10:32 am  

What is a Taylor Made mini driver? Do you mean the M2 3 wood? Mine is so long on and off the deck... 🤔 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/16/2019 10:49 am  

https://golfweek.com/2019/04/16/taylormade-original-one-mini-driver/

It's a completely different club

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/16/2019 2:04 pm  

Thanks for the link. There is a market for this mini driver. I could be interested when the price will go down.

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
07/16/2019 2:20 pm  

A friend of mine has the Taylor Made Aero Burner mini driver. He uses it like a fairway wood from the fairway and sometimes off the tee. He does hit it long, but still hits his regular driver longer. Better control because of the shorter shaft and increased loft.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/16/2019 3:14 pm  

I am not surprised. Shorter shaft help a lot.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
07/16/2019 4:13 pm  

Great trip report, thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: