Myrtle Beach Trip J...

Myrtle Beach Trip July 6-13  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

jduncw6
(@jduncw6)
07/17/2019 3:15 pm  

Had a couple days to recoup from my vacation.  Played some good courses and played some pretty good golf.  Looking forward to next year already.  We come from Eastern North Carolina and stay in Cherry Grove every year.

July 6-Rivers Edge

Played Rivers Edge on the way in to Myrtle Beach.  Has always been one of our favorite layouts.  It is the first time we have played it since they redone the greens and made a few renovations.  We were the first group off number #10(they double tee) in the afternoon.  Course has some amazing views.  Several holes with marsh views that run right along the Shallote River.  It is really a great lay out.  Conditions were fine.  Tee boxes and fairways were good.  Bunkers were in bad shape but they had not been fixed from the rain the couple of days before.  Luckily it was not cart path only.  Greens looked good but man they were slow.  I had such a hard time getting the ball to the hole.  I had my best ball striking round but could not make a putt.  Staff was very friendly and helpful.  One of the prettiest lay outs in Myrtle Beach.  Pace of Play was right at 4 hours.  Worse conditioned course we played in our rotation this year but it was not it bad shape and all.  Conditions were good just the other courses were in better conditions.  My only complaint are the slow greens.  Would recommend Rivers Edge just be prepared for slow putts. 

July 7-River Club

It was our first time playing River Club.  We loved it!  Have always heard great things about it and glad we have finally played it.   I would say conditions of the course were better than Rivers Edge.  Greens definitely were faster than Rivers Edge.  Fairways were a little nicer as well.  Bunkers here were still not fixed from the rain the few days before.  Lay out is good but nothing spectacular.  Is a fun course to play.  Water is in play on like 14 holes.  Water off the tee box is not that in play unless you really hit it bad off the tee box.  There are several approach shots that you have to carry over the water.  Overall it is a great course and would recommend it.  My only complaint is there is no driving range.  I like to hit balls to get loose and see how my ball is flying before playing.  They do have a net to hit some balls in to get loose.   Pace of play was great.  We teed off around 9 am and were back to Cherry Grove before 2pm (right at a 45 min drive.)  Staff was super friendly and helpful.  Would recommend River Club.

July 8-Arcadian Shores

This was my surprise of the trip.  I have rode by Arcadian Shores many times going to the outlets on 17 with the wife.  I always thought that it looked boring and not in good shape.  After reading some reviews on how good the greens were I figured to give it a try.  I am glad I did.  It is a very nice course.  Layout is great.  A lot of mixture of good holes in my opinion.  The conditions were great.  Fairways were full and plush.  Greens were a good speed and pretty.  Sand traps were well taking care of.  I really enjoyed the course.  It is highly under rated in my opinion.  Staff was great.  Pace of play was around 4 hours.  Would highly recommend playing Arcadian Shores. 

July 9 & July 10-rest days (aka beach days with the wives)

July 11-World Tour

This was another surprise of the trip to me.  I have always like World Tour but always thought it was over rated.  I have never played it where I would of said the conditions were good.  We decided to play it again this year because my brother in law wanted to ride the golf boards again (we did it at True Blue a few years ago).  Rain came thru the night before and the morning of our round.  Pro shop said they had close to 3 inches of rain in 24 hours.  It was cart path only which meant no golf boards for us.  It is cool layout with the holes inspired from the famous holes of famous golf courses.  The conditions of the course were the best I have ever seen World Tour of all the times I have played it.  Yes it was super wet but I am talking about what conditions would of been if course was not saturated.  Fairways were great.  Greens were the best say far in the week.  Rolled true and really good speed on it.  I would say the wetness of the course cost me a few shots from hitting it a little fat sometimes.  It was very wet in some spots.  Bunkers of course were in bad shape but there had been 3 inches dumped on them in 24 hours.  Pace of play was good.  We were the first group off the tee on one set of the tees.  We played our round in close to 4 hours.  Even with it being cart path only.  I have always thought of this as good course that was never in the best shape that was over rated.  After this round I will change my thoughts.  If it had not been super wet the conditions would of been almost perfect.  Great tee boxes, great fairways and great greens.  I would highly recommend World Tour when it is in the condition it was in this time.

July 12-Surf Club

We try and play close the last day of golf on our vacation.  We have played Surf Club in the past and loved it.  This was our first time playing since they greens had been redone.  Maybe the best greens on the grand strand.  Fast and rolled true.  My advice try and stay below the hole.  Greens have lots of undulations that makes for some interesting chip shots and putts.  It is an old school layout with lots of dog legs.  Fairways were great.  Bunkers great as well.  Staff was super friendly and treated us so nice.  It is one of the nicest establishments in Myrtle Beach in my opinion.  Pace of play was under 4 hours.  If you have never played Surf Club do your self a favor and go.  It is worth it.  Greens are incredible.  I wish all greens rolled that fast.  I would highly recommend Surf Club.

Overall rankings of course I played (1 being worst 5 being best) These are my opinions.  I would recommend every course I played this year. 

Greens

Surf Club-5, World Tour-4, Arcadian Shores-3, River Club-2, Rivers Edge-1

Fairways

Surf-5, Arcadian-4, World Tour-3, River Club-2, Rivers Edge-1

Layout

Rivers Edge-5, Arcadian-4, Surf-3, River Club-2, World Tour-1

Overall

Surf-5, Arcadian-4, World Tour-3, River Club-2, Rivers Edge-1

langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
07/17/2019 3:41 pm  

Thanks for the report. Very informative. Good solid line up of courses. Good pace of play as well.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
07/17/2019 4:17 pm  

Rivers Edge greens were very slow for my group in early May. 
The hybrid grass on their greens can take the heat, as you saw at other courses. 
Apparently slo000w greens are going to be the norm at RE.   
It's probably a way to save $$ by doing less maint on the greens. 

Thanks for reporting! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Trusted Member
07/17/2019 4:33 pm  

Great report.  Thanks for posting.  Agree on Rivers Edge.  The last time I played it the greens were smooth but slow.  If that is what it takes to keep them from dying, I'll take it.  Glad to hear about World Tour as well.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
07/17/2019 4:39 pm  

Nice report and good to rediscover Arcadian is back and worth the price to play.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/17/2019 6:50 pm  

I believe a long  time ago Arcadian was in the top 100 golf courses in the US. It has many good holes.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/17/2019 7:01 pm  

Thanks for your trip report. It was a very good read. I enjoy this one. Arcadian Shores has turned the corner since 2 years at least. It is now a must to play when you are in Myrtle Beach. The Surf Club is on my list for the next winter. All the recent reports are positive. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
07/17/2019 7:35 pm  

Agree about Arcadian Shores very nice course.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
07/17/2019 9:13 pm  
Posted by: @undercover-golf-pro

I believe a long  time ago Arcadian was in the top 100 golf courses in the US. It has many good holes.

That was in 1972 or 1974.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
07/18/2019 6:20 am  

I've said in the past that RIVERS EDGE may be the most scenic course in the area.

Too bad the greens roll a 5 or 6 on the stimp.

That is ridiculous and I won't go back until they are an 8 or 9.

It's been 2+ years now for the new greens. Time for the Superintendent to grow some balls and cut the greens a little bit.

You talked about hitting some shots fat on the soggy day at WORLD TOUR.

The best advice I've gotten about playing in those conditions.

Choke down on the club about an inch. Because that is how far you are sinking into the wet ground...which actually makes your club longer.

It makes a 6 foot tall person a 5'11" person.

Great report JDunc and Welcome To The Club.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/18/2019 8:48 am  

I have played RE several times this year and the conditions have been very good. Greens have been good too - not the fastest, but not real slow - probably 8 to 9

ReplyQuote
jduncw6
(@jduncw6)
07/18/2019 9:08 am  

@undercover-golf-pro

I feel like they were way slower than that the day I played.  It was like putting on velcro.  Could not get a ball to the hole.  Could of been from not being able to cut the greens since it rained a couple days in a row before I got there.  But they looked good and rolled smooth, just slow.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/18/2019 9:24 am  

Hard to make a putt on very slow greens - not fun to play on

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Estimable Member
07/18/2019 9:31 am  

Enjoyed reading your report.  Would love to play Surf Club again and it was nice to hear about the improvements to Arcadian Shores.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/18/2019 2:55 pm  

Just wondering what kind of putter it take when you play on a velcro green? 😃😃😃

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: