29th annual trip Ma...

29th annual trip May 27 - 31  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Vtgolfnut
(@vtgolfnut)
06/01/2019 12:31 pm  

Our group of 12 just finished our 29th annual Myrtle Beach trip.  We are from Va, Florida, and Texas and are mostly 55 to 60 with my 22 yr old thrown in. We rent an 8 bedroom house in cherry grove across the street from the beach that has a pool, hot tub, pool table, and 2 large fridges. Had great weather all week.

Monday 27th Long Bay. First time playing there in 20 yrs, it is a challenging layout with small well guarded greens but plenty of room off the tee.  They need some rain badly, but it may be too late for this year. The tee boxes and some of the fairways are baked out and have little to no grass and are very firm. The good news is that the greens are in good shape, looks like they have been getting plenty of water. Course was playing very short with all of the extra roll, it is still very playable since they are taking care of their greens. We had the place to ourselves since it was a 95 degree afternoon and played in 3.5 hours  

Tuesday May 28th Thistle.  Another course we played in the past but had removed from the rotation due to conditions and price increases.  Thistle did a much better job of keeping their entire course green during this hot stretch without rain. We played 36 holes including all 3 nines and were impressed by the conditions on all 3.  Greens were faster than long bay and were challenging with some very difficult pin placements.  Staff was friendly and pace of play was fantastic resulting in 3.5 hour round. Highly recommend, Thistle should be back on our regular rotation  

Wed May 29th Prestwick. Enjoyed the course so much last year that we played their again.  Challenging course, greens were in their usual fantastic shape, fastest greens on the trip with most of them being elevated making up and downs difficult. Many tee boxes were recently aerated and top dressed with sand, not pretty to look at but doesn’t really impact play since the ball is teed anyhow. Some fairways were brown with sparse grass due to the prolonged hot weather but not nearly as bad as long bay. Fairways should recover with some rain. We played 36 again with a 2 man captain choice in the afternoon. We did have an issue with the pro when we paid for our replay, will discuss that later in the review.

Thursday May 28th Rivers Edge. Our group loves this course, play there every year. It was in the best shape that I can remember, greens were faster than usual, still the slowest of the trip but not that much slower than the other courses.  They had some brown grass in a few places that the irrigation missed on the course due to the lack of rain but did not impact play.  Staff is the friendliest at the beach, very accommodating to getting you back out for replay after lunch and a fantastic $25 replay rate. Cart guys were very friendly and coolers were allowed even though signage said they weren’t. We played our own ball  in the morning and 4 man captain choice in the afternoon, always a fun way to finish up the 18th home with your buddies watching and heckling you from the deck of the clubhouse. 

Friday May 29th Tidewater. Another regular course for us due to a great layout and excellent conditions. They probably had the best overall conditions on the trip, greens, fairways, tee boxes, and bunkers in great shape.  And I personally tested a lot of the bunkers.  Greens were a touch slower than prestwick but were plenty fast. Pace of play was slower due to a packed course but probably about 4.5 hours. Tidewater is more expensive than most with a $60 replay rate so most of us took the afternoon off to get some rest.

Restaurant warning, Do not eat at Duffy’s seafood on Sea Mountain highway. Terrible service, over an hour for food that was served cold. Order was wrong or missing for some, steamed clams and oysters served that did not steam open, management was not on site most on staff did not speak English we’ll enough to communicate clearly. This was not due to volume of customers, they were not crowded that evening.

The Prestwick situation that I discussed earlier seemed obvious to me but I would like to hear what you guys have to say. Our group of 12 played that morning and scheduled a replay an hour after we finished so that we could eat lunch at their clubhouse. We had 1 player who had to leave after that round to go home for a family issue so we had another player join us to get back to 12 players. They quoted us $40 for the 18 hole replay, but overheard a member of our group talking about the new player that would be joining us. When we went pay for the replay they wanted $85 for the new player since he did not play in the morning. Then they came up with a discounted $65 rate for the new guy. When I argued that he should play for the discounted replay rate he said  I was trying to rip him off for $25. I reminded him that we had spent over $1,500 dollars for our group to play 36 and eat lunch and that they course was almost empty that afternoon. It wasn’t until we threatened to pack up and head elsewhere that he grudgingly gave us the rate but still had a shit attitude. I know we won’t be headed back there next year due to this situation.

Just found out additional information about the replay situation that makes me even more annoyed. One of our 12 players from the morning round used a full price rain check to pay for his replay which “saves” the course another $25 to $50. The pro could have applied this rain check against our new 12th player and would not be losing any revenue. I was not aware of this until after the trip or I would have suggested it at the time. 

Do you think that I should contact anyone higher up at Prestwick and make them aware of the situation?

This topic was modified 6 months ago by Vtgolfnut

kio57
(@kio57)
Trusted Member
06/01/2019 1:41 pm  

Ok, I see where he was coming from but REALLY! It's one guy who had an issue, honor the replay for the group.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
06/01/2019 2:19 pm  

I haven't tried to trade players for a replay, so I haven't experienced the unique
Prestwick situation.   This is a good lesson not to make it known to the course. 

The replay rate is a thank you discount for paying the full rate in the AM. 
The new player didn't pay that.   For good customer service, since your group spent a
lot, IMO the pro should have avoided trying to charge full rate to the new guy.  He was 
risking more than he was gaining.  This situation is kinda like using someone else's 
ticket or raincheck. 

While your PM guy would benefit from the replay rate, the course was still getting what 
the original deal was.    

Thanks for a great report!      

This post was modified 6 months ago by ArtMBGolf

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
06/01/2019 4:57 pm  

Prior to retirement, I spent my entire career in the customer service business. What the pro SHOULD have done was casually mention that the extra player did not qualify for the replay rate, but since you all were such nice guys & great guests, he would only charge him replay also. 

Learned a loooooong time ago, positive word of mouth advertising from a customer is the best advertising money can buy.

He screwed himself since he ended up only doing replay rate in the end & now you've got a bad taste in your mouth.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
06/01/2019 5:09 pm  

As a former golf course owner - the replay rate should have been given.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Vtgolfnut
(@vtgolfnut)
06/01/2019 6:34 pm  

I agree with you, we have others in our group in the customer service Industry that could not believe their response. They could have been the hero for acknowledging the new golfer  but giving us a break and I would be writing about how much we liked the staff and planning our return next year. 

Instead i’m not going back next year and telling everyone how great the customer service is at rivers edge. 

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
06/02/2019 6:00 am  

I was recently thinking about golfing Prestwick in October ...since it is still on my bucket list.

But after reading that the pro gave my guy Bruce (vtgolfnut) and his boys a hard time about a miniscule issue, I think I will wait at least another year to visit Prestwick.

The guy should have just given a smile to acknowledge that he heard there was a replacement player,then said  'Have a great round.... hope to see ya next year' .

My question Bruce is...where do you find these replacement players ?

Do you fly them in ? Is there a replacement player website? Did you find a forum member to fill in ?

Also, how many courses in MB let you bring coolers ?

Do you just straight out ask ahead of time...on the phone... or do you ask when you get to the course?

Anyways...sounds like another great golf trip in the books for vtgolfnut and the boys.

Great report as usual !

I hope to catch up with y'all again one of these years (I'm guessing I was one of your best replacement players). 

Thanks for reporting Bruce.

It's always an adventure.  

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Vtgolfnut
(@vtgolfnut)
06/02/2019 12:24 pm  

Hey John, you were our best replacement player ever. We were fortunate this year since we knew a few days ahead that one guy had to leave mid trip and we had another guy in Va that wanted to play this year but wasn’t available until Wednesday so he drove down that morning and finished the trip. 

Every course has a no personal cooler policy, most likely to limit their liability in case players drink to much and get hurt on the course. Some courses are vigilant about enforcement and others like rivers edge will look the other way. We still usually buy something from the cart girl and tip her well for ice to offset some of the loss of sales. We also have smaller covert coolers that fit inside the golf bag that hold 6 cans when we are playing courses with strict enforcement. 

Prestwick is a very good course that you should play this fall, maybe the guy we dealt with was having a bad day.  

I hope we cross paths again, once you retire and move to the area we will have a built in ringer to join us on our trips. Hit em straight 

B

ReplyQuote
Vtgolfnut
(@vtgolfnut)
06/02/2019 12:35 pm  

Just found out additional information about the replay situation that makes me even more annoyed. One of our 12 players from the morning round used a full price rain check to pay for his replay which “saves” the course another $25 to $50. The pro could have applied this rain check against our new 12th player and would not be losing any revenue. I was not aware of this until after the trip or I would have suggested it at the time. 

Do you think that I should contact anyone higher up at Prestwick and make them aware of the situation?

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
06/02/2019 12:49 pm  

Email Jay Smith the Head Professional  jsmith@prestwickcountryclub.com  he's a very good guy and would want to know about your situation.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
06/02/2019 12:59 pm  

An excellent trip report!

That said, I'm quite sure that if you're following UGP's suggestion, there will be a positive solution for the issue you did have to face!

Take care!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
06/02/2019 2:52 pm  

For each problem there is a solution. Good luck!

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
06/02/2019 5:03 pm  

Thanks for your report.

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
06/03/2019 11:12 am  

Thanks for the report. I agree about giving you the replay rate

ReplyQuote
BNLongdriver
(@bnlongdriver)
Administrator/Golf Director Moderator
06/03/2019 1:12 pm  
I have had to address a similar this type of situation to this before: 

There are 12 guys - 6 people book, show up and play 18 holes under Johnson at 8:00/8:10. They go back inside after the 18 holes, tell the Pro how great it was, set up a replay for all 6 and pay. Those 6 guys go to their car and load up, 5 minutes later 6 of their friends show up at 2:00 and say we're the 2:00 Johnson replay. This is very similar ... My take on it is pretty simply; since I have been selling tee times for a living in Myrtle Beach for 23 years on Sept 1st.  Replay rates are given to clients after they've played 18 holes in the morning. If you don't play 18 holes in the morning, then you don't qualify for the replay rate - Am I right or wrong? 

Since my office is at a course, but I do not work at the course!! I do overhear and see first hand some of the situations the Pro's are put in. 

Rivers Edge allowed you to bring alcohol on the course, not good and someone will lose their job over that. The course has to purchase a beer/liquor license from the State to sell alcohol. State Laws mandates that if you sells alcohol, outside alcohol cannot be brought in (they want their TAX money). That's a HUGE no no and they will lose their license for that. It's the same as taking your own bottle of Crown into Applebee's and asking for a glass of ice. While I know you appreciated being able to bring it with you on the course, please know that the course put it's ability to sell alcohol for a year in jeopardy for you to do that, and the person who said you could bring the cooler - put his job on the line for you guys.  

Word of advice to you guys. 
Word of advice - don't tell the Cashier at the grocery store that you spent $200, should you get your milk for $2.00 instead of $4.20? Then argue with her, get upset and complain when she cannot. She doesn't know the cost of milk, she only knows what the scanner tells her and she can only control; what she can control. She doesn't posses the ability to adjust the rate of that companies Milk buy and sell rates ... So I just pay $4.20 for my milk realizing that's the cost of good with that company; smile and say Thanks and go on my merry way! Then at that point, wonder - why she didn't give me my Senior Citizen Discount? Being cordial and friendly will get you your senior citizen discount every time but when I show up with the "I paid $200 for all this other stuff, you owe me a discount on MILK." ... not so much! My Momma told me" you'll catch more flies with honey than the brown stuff."

This post was modified 6 months ago by BNLongdriver

Brian Noblin
Myrtle Beach Golf Talk
Myrtle Beach Golf Packagers
Tidewater Golf Vacations
844-706-7503

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: