TPC, Caledonia, Tru...

Notifications
Clear all

TPC, Caledonia, True Blue

herdman
(@herdman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Played these the weekend of 6/5 and 6/6. Report a little late but, here it is. First of all we were set to play Friday, Saturday, Sunday in the order of TPC, Caledonia, True Blue.

Got rained out at TPC on Friday afternoon/evening. So, we moved our tee time to Saturday morning and then played Caledonia in the afternoon. That is a long day, especially since it was cart path only at both places.  TPC is a big piece of property to do that on. TPC was in really good shape considering all the rain that week and on that Friday.  Caledonia is Caledonia, but their bunkers need some work and the rain didn't help. Greens at both places were rolling pretty well considering all the rain. TPC's greens looked like they had had more foot traffic but, were faster than Caledonia's.

True Blue was also CPO and is another big track to walk.  Good condition for being wet. Greens good shape, a little slower than TPC's.

One of our guys was disappointed with Caledonia and True Blue as he feels they don't maintain their bunkers and waste areas like they should considering their reputation. TPC's bunkers are better for sure, I will say that. But, I am of the opinion Caledonia and True Blue are going more to they are waste areas and not bunkers idea. I think in particular Caledonia gets so much press that sometimes it can't meet all the expectations. 2 of the 3 in the group(not me) don't place True Blue or Caledonia even in the Top 5 in Myrtle Beach area.  hahaa, funny discussion over a beer. One of them said neither are in the same league as TPC is.

All in all a good weekend. 36 with cart path only and then 18 the following day makes for a tough but, enjoyable weekend at three great golf courses even if we didn't agree on rankings. 

uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Trusted Member

I'd say TPC isn't in the same league as Caledonia!

TPC is a very nice facility, but I'm not sure it would even make my top 20 in the area. It's just too similar to some other Fazio courses I've played in other places. I think Barefoot Fazio is a more interesting course just comparing the two public Fazios down there, and Wachesaw Plantation is definitely a better course too (as the other Fazio).

It also seems like it doesn't drain as well as it should. Last time I played there it had rained a lot the day before and the course was soaking wet and kind of miserable to play. As a comparison, we played Caledonia a couple of days later and it was raining so hard you could barely see just 15 minutes before our tee time. Parts of the course were underwater. We went out about 20 minutes late and 4 or 5 holes in you couldn't even tell it had rained; the course was almost completely dry. It was really impressive.

Also, yes about the bunkers at Caledonia/True Blue. It's not a lack of maintenance; that's how they want them to play.

Thanks for the conditions update! I was hoping to play Caledonia in a couple of weeks, but discovered they're aerifying so likely won't play there. TPC Myrtle Beach should be healed from theirs, though, so good to hear the greens are in great shape.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

For the price at Cal + TB, the bunkers should be well maintained, 
but it's hard to judge after a rain.  

Sometimes a course may not groom the bunker when they know 
heavy rains are coming.   I think over time bunkers get worse, 
drains clog, sand gets dirty, etc.   They have a lot of bunkers and 
some big deep bunkers.   

The Dunes seems to have a "bunker crew" always grooming bunkers. 

Thanks for your report!   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @uncgolf

I'd say TPC isn't in the same league as Caledonia!

TPC is a very nice facility, but I'm not sure it would even make my top 20 in the area. It's just too similar to some other Fazio courses I've played in other places. I think Barefoot Fazio is a more interesting course just comparing the two public Fazios down there, and Wachesaw Plantation is definitely a better course too (as the other Fazio).

It also seems like it doesn't drain as well as it should. Last time I played there it had rained a lot the day before and the course was soaking wet and kind of miserable to play. As a comparison, we played Caledonia a couple of days later and it was raining so hard you could barely see just 15 minutes before our tee time. Parts of the course were underwater. We went out about 20 minutes late and 4 or 5 holes in you couldn't even tell it had rained; the course was almost completely dry. It was really impressive.

Also, yes about the bunkers at Caledonia/True Blue. It's not a lack of maintenance; that's how they want them to play.

Thanks for the conditions update! I was hoping to play Caledonia in a couple of weeks, but discovered they're aerifying so likely won't play there. TPC Myrtle Beach should be healed from theirs, though, so good to hear the greens are in great shape.

I tried to explain that and as a matter of fact, I just saw this on social media from Caledonia. It appears they are going the way of everything is a waste bunker.  I think course ratings are very subjective and opinionated. Depends what you are looking for. TPC is made for tournaments and has that feel. Caledonia is more of a low country "southern feel". True Blue, to me, reminds me more of a Pinehurst/Sandhills area course. I think it just comes down to what you are looking for.

Player Friendly Reminder: Like our Friends at Congaree Golf Club & The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island ALL “ Sand Areas” at Caledonia GFC & Our Sister Course True Blue Golf Club are part of “The General Area” We ❤️🏌️‍♀️! Let’s Play! #nobunkers #thegeneralarea #WaccamawGolfTrail

This post was modified 1 month ago by herdman

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @artmbgolf

For the price at Cal + TB, the bunkers should be well maintained, 
but it's hard to judge after a rain.  

Sometimes a course may not groom the bunker when they know 
heavy rains are coming.   I think over time bunkers get worse, 
drains clog, sand gets dirty, etc.   They have a lot of bunkers and 
some big deep bunkers.   

The Dunes seems to have a "bunker crew" always grooming bunkers. 

Thanks for your report!   

I think Caledonia and True Blue are going with everything is a waste area. Ground the club and go. It actually makes sense because of all the sand that they have. 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Even if a course rakes bunkers every day, there will still be golfers that 
don't smooth their footprints, rain and the green sprinklers to affect 
the sand.   

Having all waste areas is fine.  They will rake for pros/tournaments. 
Friend matches and casual rounds can have their own local rule to smooth
and replace in bunkers.   

Public/Resort Courses with more/bigger/deeper bunkers than needed 
could also fill in part of a lot of bunkers without changing how the 
course plays.       

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Thanks for taking the time to report @herdman, I really did appreciate!

As for debates, to each its own in terms of opinions! 😉

I just consider myself privileged enough to have the opportunity to play those three courses when we can visit the Myrtle Beach area!

Take care!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

This is an Age old debate. If it is waste area bunker i dont get upset with it not being perfect. I do expect people and places to maintain regular bunkers. I also agree people could smooth the footprints best they can to just make it a little nicer. 

This is a great discussion over a couple cold ones with the right people. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
hookybass
(@hookybass)
Trusted Member

As a rule of thumb while in MB or most courses we play, we simply rake the bunker where the ball lies then replace the ball as close as you can to match the lie.  This ensures a fair test to make it out.  Heavy rains in the PM make it difficult for workers to rake all bunkers.

ReplyQuote
ZiggyGolfer
(@ziggygolfer)
Trusted Member

Don't forget it has been only a short while since the courses had put the rakes back in the bunker area and today still have not. So a lot of people even when they were there didn't use them

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member

If some one that plays golf and hits it a bunker and does not rack it. It tell me a lot about someone responsibility for the other players. Just plane lazy or just don't give damn!

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
CarolinaDave
(@carolinadave)

Thanks @herdman for the report... found that particularly interesting, since all three of those were on our target list for our June trip. Unfortunately, we were scheduled for end of the month (last weekend), and so greens aeration got in the way of scheduling for each of those. We're shooting for at least one of the three next year. 

I'd enjoy that discussion with y'all - I'll even buy a round. 🍺 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Posted by: @carolinadave

all three of those were on our target list for our June trip. Unfortunately, we were scheduled for end of the month (last weekend), and so greens aeration got in the way of scheduling for each of those. We're shooting for at least one of the three next year. 

I'd enjoy that discussion with y'all - I'll even buy a round. 🍺 

Where did you play?  How were they?  

ReplyQuote
Share: