River Oaks. Why Isn...

Notifications
Clear all

River Oaks. Why Isn't It Discussed?

Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Played the Fox/Otter combo for the second time in a month. Is it the best of Myrtle Beach? Perhaps not. Is it the best bang for your buck course on the Strand? Certainly up there, in my opinion.

Greens are always "tacky" at RO. On the slower side and a knowledge of grain is a huge advantage but very puttable.

Fairways were awesome today. Greenside grass was thick in low areas, tighter in others (duh).

Along with Wild Wing, RO is a fun course from multiple tees.

Staff was great as always.

leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

You have played the same nines as we have played, but ours was in the month of Jan, then conditions were poor to bad.  To play it now would be nice and I agree it is a fun course and if you are on your game a low score can be had.  It is also a good value course of 25 bucks ( 2019 ) on the Passport.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

RO conditions haven't always been good and many MBGT members 
are bringing groups, that want to play better courses, even if they are 
budget groups.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Thanks @say8pet for reporting!

Did never play River Oaks so far simply because the vast majority of people here on this Forum didn't recommend!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Thanks for the update. I have thought about playing there but never seems to get good reviews. Seeing that i come down once a year, i am looking at playing a little better courses. Maybe if i get to play them all i will play it to take it off the list. 

thank you again for the good review. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
BrewCrew
(@brewcrew)
Estimable Member

We played River Hills back in April.  It was our first time there and overall the guys enjoyed it.  We tend to play courses that are easy on the budget at the beginning of the trip when everyone is just happy to be away and out golfing or on departure day when we have a 10 hour drive to follow.  Saving a few bucks on these rounds, makes the overall package price a more manageable nut.

PoP was the only real issue we had.  Unlike most of our other rounds, which seem to be mostly the guys from out of town on their golf trips, River Oaks had a good number of locals which were mostly seniors and ladies groups.  On the first par 3 of the day, when we finally got to hit, there were 2 groups also waiting behind us.  As the day progressed it got a little better.  

The guys liked the layout of the course, it was in decent shape and having 3 different nines to play that day was a plus.

ReplyQuote
BNLongdriver
(@bnlongdriver)
Administrator/Golf Director Admin

River Oaks is a $25/35 dollar budget college/senior course and not a golf package destination course. Known the lease's for many years, they know what they have and what they are .. no need in trying to put up an farces and trying to be something they are not. There are enough of those running around town. 

Brian Noblin
Myrtle Beach Golf Talk
Myrtle Beach Golf Packagers
Tidewater Golf Vacations
844-706-7503

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

I've played River Oaks at least 40 times.

But it's the River Oaks in Calumet City Illinois. 

I drove my bicycle there with my bag wrapped around my back when I was 10 years old.

I taught myself how to golf there.

I've been meaning to play the River Oaks in Myrtle, and I'm surprised I haven't since I'm the (self proclaimed) King Of The Midtiers. 

I will eventually get there and y'all will know when that happens.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Thanks for the report on River Oaks Peter.

First positive report I've seen. 

This course is right next to World Tour which seems to always be in good condition 

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Share: