Moorlands

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Played here yesterday, temps in the upper 70's, place was busy and our POP was 4 1/2 hrs.

First off this is not my favorite course at Legends, greens are to undulating in many areas and some pin placements are unreachable from the fairway or tee.  Moorlands is a demanding course and you need to keep the ball in the fairways, then hit to the proper side of the green to give yourself a chance for Par.  The course is in very good shape, nice over seed on all fairways except hole 8, it was not done for some reason.  Tee areas very good, fairways had ball sitting up as they had just been cut, no CPO as the course is drying up some.  Traps are tough, some sand is soft while other bunkers are firm.  Speed of the greens was better then average and had been fertilized that morning, fert. did not effect the putts.  All 3 Legends course are still fun to play, just don't expect many breaks from poorly hit shots.

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Famed Member

Moorlands from the wrong tee can be brutal - while not a huge fan of the Legends courses - they are always well manicured - and you can't beat the deal with a buffet breakfast and lunch off the menu as part of your green fee. They serve great chicken strips there. Plan on slow play as they stack em and pack em at the Legends

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

This course has the claim of being in the top toughest courses in Myrtle Beach. I think that it is because the pars 4's of 400 yards and more are even more difficult if you are into the wind and if you have a back pin. It is important to choose good tee-offs because you can eat your socks. I found that there are small landing areas that keep you on your toes for the entire round.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Famed Member

SH - I agree - the first issue is that the course was designed by Dye - and he don't brook no errant shots! He makes you pay for being off line. There are some very good holes on Moorland, some that would be really good except for the severity of the penalty - like #3 - it eats golfers lunch with the water to the left on the tee shot and the second shot - with a crummy landing area to the right of the green. It's designed for a very short iron into the green and unless you play the proper tee for how long you hit your tee shot - it becomes extremely difficult. I often have to hit a 6 or 7 iron into that green - not fun! And if I'm not mistaken, the next hole is a very long par 4 that has two hills short of the green making your second long shot into the green a blind shot, though the green is very large and fairly flat.. Some great holes too. I like #2 - a narrow par 5 that is short enough so you can layup twice and have 100 yards into the green. #15 is a great par 5, and 16 is one of those short par 4's that is an easy birdie and an easier double bogey. 

Bottom line, if you play the right tees, Moorland is a very tough but playable course. Play the wrong tees and you'll be cursing Mr. Dye.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Famed Member

Moorland got new greens in 2018.  Sounds like they are doing well.  

Thanks! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Art, Moorlands greens are by far the best Legends has this winter, they are rolling smoothly, just so darn tough to putt with their undulations if you are on the wrong side of the hole, in fact not sure there is a right side on Moorlands. 

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Honorable Member

I thought 18 was one of the hardest holes at legends.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Thanks Gary!

Many will attest with you (and I'm among them) about how tough is Legends Moorland!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Share: