Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Brick Landing  

RSS

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
February 8, 2019 5:28 pm  

Last played in the 80's all I can recall was that it was extremely windy and the 4 of us (all scratch) lost about a dozen balls each!

This has been rated as a tier 5 and I will get to that at the end.

The good - very interesting layout - lot's of variety and difficult,  I like tight courses, and there is a lot of water. Holes on a marsh and the waterway. Lots of short holes and several REALLY long par 4's

The not sure - They have new greens that have good coverage, but they are currently very slow (7?) as they left them long to survive the winter. No over seed - dyed. Though really slow, they did roll pretty good and true.

The bad - Course needs work, it has a beautiful setting, but loses out because it isn't manicured. Course was wet after all these nice warm days - 4 holes were CPO and no roll. #2 is a rinky dink par 3 - 96 yards and no trouble (I should love the hole, I made a two)

The other 3 players were not fans of the course as they are long to very long hitters and the course took their driver away on several holes. Only once did I hit a hybrid off the tee. I liked most of the routing.

In the end - Brick is a tier 4 course and if they ever groom it, it would be a tier 3. I may return in the summer to see how it looks during growing season. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

DenisGilbert liked
ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Estimable Member
February 8, 2019 8:24 pm  

Their motto is "it takes balls to play Brick Landing".  

My bet was the new greens would be very slow and I bet they will remain very slow,
because they probably can't justify the cost to maintain them properly.    Other courses 
with new greens have gotten medium to fast speed by October of the upgrade year.    

Thanks for reporting on The Brick, which we seldom hear about!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Estimable Member
February 8, 2019 8:29 pm  

There used to be a nice par 3 as #17, hitting downhill towards the water, about 150 yards, 
with the green to the right of the #18 tee.    They sold or tried to sell that as a lot. 

They broke the old #3 par 5 into 2 holes. to replace #17.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Trusted Member
February 8, 2019 8:36 pm  

Thanks for the great Brick Report UGP.

A co-worker said he used to play The Brick every year on his annual trips in the 80s and 90s.

Me?

It's still on my bucket list.

Maybe you and I can go check it out on October to see if the greens are rollin at an 8 or more.

I, like you, like tight courses... and nice marsh views.

jw11

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
February 9, 2019 6:16 am  

Art - I don't remember 17 as a par three towards the water - would have been a great view. And you can go through a lot of balls at the Brick. I dumped my approach shot into the water on #1 - no issues after that.

JW - Let's put Brick on our list to play when you get here

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Estimable Member
February 9, 2019 9:29 am  

Brick Landing has reopened in September 2018 with new greens. In my book, there is too much hazards and difficulties on this course (water hazards, tigh fairways, bunkers) for to bring home a good score and have fun.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Estimable Member
February 9, 2019 1:07 pm  

Played here once back in the late 90's, holes 3 thru 16 were tough as nails, as Art said "It takes balls to play the Brick"

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Estimable Member
February 10, 2019 9:44 am  

It takes balls, of course, but when i have played at this course the service was AAA. 

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
February 10, 2019 9:50 am  

The Pro is Trey Ernstes and he was very nice to work with. 

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Trusted Member
February 11, 2019 1:45 pm  

Thanks UGP for reporting about a course I haven't played yet!

And from what I read, it will still have to wait! 😉

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Trusted Member
February 11, 2019 1:51 pm  

I agree with UGP and everybody about this course.  I would call it a "target golf course".  You have to be very precise off the tee.  The ultra short par 3 is not a good hole.  

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
February 11, 2019 6:10 pm  

I'm going back when growing season hits - might even bring 6542 with me in June. It favors short strait hitters.

ReplyQuote
Share: