Clear all

Brick Landing  

RSS

S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
01/14/2020 7:59 am  

This golf course closed  on January 1.

According to the Sun News, the course owner Larry Doyle said he is now having discussions with two more prospective buyers and hopes to have the property under contract again within a couple weeks, though it’s unclear if the course will ever reopen.

Doyle said one of the potential buyers is interested in reopening the course but the other is not, and it will remain closed as long as he owns it.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Honorable Member
01/14/2020 12:45 pm  

To be continued...

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
01/14/2020 1:00 pm  

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article239014988.html

It's not a course that's fun to play often, short tight with not many driver holes 
and a reputation for poor conditions.    It's defensive golf.  Packagers won't book
it, vacationers either don't know about it or see bad reviews and locals have better 
options at SPB, Pearl, OB, ST, RE, etc.         

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
01/14/2020 1:51 pm  

@artmbgolf

I agree Art. However the staff was super friendly. It was a real pleasure to deal with them.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
01/14/2020 4:25 pm  

Another one on my Bucket List that i didnt get to.

Hopefully a new owner will re-open and put some cash into the course.

Thanks for the breaking news

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
01/14/2020 6:39 pm  

@artmbgolf

Art, we played it once back in the late 90's, tee shirts in the Pro Shop you could buy said " It takes Balls to play the Brick ".  1.2.17.18.were straight forwards hole, 3 to 16 were brutal.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
01/14/2020 7:06 pm  

I played it 2 years ago, conditions were awful but I enjoyed the layout - some really good holes. Even in pristine condition, I don't think it would do well due to it's location and a layout that I find interesting but most golfers dodn't

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Estimable Member
01/15/2020 11:01 pm  

"The Brick" had its heyday in the 90's to early 2000's.  After that, it was downhill from there.  I recall playing it when I was a teenager in the afternoon.  It was one of those days with oppressive humidity and an air temp of near 100.  Brutal!

I last played it in a Passport Tourney.  Greens were lousy, and it looked like they changed some of the tee locations on a few of the holes (cutting down some of the severity of the angles), but it was still a unique course to play.  I'm in UGP's camp on this one, it's not for everyone, but there's some unique qualities about The Brick that I grew to appreciate.  I'm hoping they will find someone to keep it alive.  

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Honorable Member
01/16/2020 9:43 am  

Sad but someone will have to drop tons to get it up to snuff and more to get people there to play it. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
bigcheese
(@bigcheese)
01/18/2020 9:40 am  

They should redesign it to a 9 hole, Sweetens Cove type course. Probably too much investment $ but a great concept. 

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
01/18/2020 7:06 pm  
Posted by: @bigcheese

They should redesign it to a 9 hole, Sweetens Cove type course. Probably too much investment $ but a great concept.

I was in Chattanooga when they built Sweetens - a very novel concept. Unfortunately, Brick Landing won't be missed by many golfers

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Estimable Member
01/22/2020 7:28 pm  

One of the very few golf courses in the Grand Strand that I do not like.

ReplyQuote
Share: