Notifications
Clear all

Feb 23-25

kio57
(@kio57)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The Boyz only played three rounds this year. A quick recap of each:

Whispering Pines - Solid layout right next to the airport. Some of the greens were on the thin side. I assume that will resolve itself in the spring. It was SO wet (CPO) there is no way to review the fairways. This course is rarely reviewed here. Think I have heard it referred to as a solid warm-up course. I would agree, a C+ course that is great for a warm-up round.

Kings North - I had forgotten how much I enjoy this layout. There was a sign on the door that said West and South were CPO but King's only had 3 holes marked CPO (one being The Gambler which led to a LOT of walking). Course was in very good shape. Everything was what we would expect from King's North.

Litchfield Country Club - course was not CPO but maybe it should have been. Borderline let's say. I very much liked the greens, pretty much on par with King's. Probably running like a 9.5-10. There were a couple sketchy pin placements, side hill! I was not a fan of the layout, far too many doglegs for my taste. 

From a COVID standpoint, I saw as many if not more people wearing masks in the Galleria Kroger than at home. Tanger was enforcing masks. Restaurant and bars were a mixed bag. Hot Stacks was observing distancing and servers wore masks. Harry the Hats, not so much. We went there on Monday evening and there were so few people we could distance in the game room. Thursday it was more crowded in the bar and no masks, there was another group on the far side of the game room this time and no masks. Went to The Office Friday evening, no masks but there were so few people there we could distance.

Food:

Hot Stacks near the Galleria - Top notch! We ate there 4 straight morning. I had 4 different items and would order each of them again. Service is top notch and fast. Only place we will eat breakfast!

Harry the Hats - solid bar food but one of our group ordered the pizza and it took a LONG time to come out.

The Office - the subs were good but the Garlic Knots app was off the chart. 

Hot Fish Club - sorry, forgot to mention this one above. I don't know if the tables were distanced or not but if they were then let's call if 75% capacity. Servers wore masks. Solid seafood. I had the blackened red snapper on a bed of grits and I was very happy. They do seem to want to put some sauce or topping on all the dishes. Good seafood doesn't need salsa or chutney! I had then hold the salsa on my snapper and it was perfect.

No clubbing this year but we were told that everything is shutting down around 10:30 as they still have the no alcohol sales after that hour in place.

American Airlines and the Disney store in Tanger would not accept "gaiters" as face masks, FYI.

Looking forward to a normal 2022 Myrtle trip!

Ken

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Maybe KN has more drainage built in?    

If The Gambler hole is CPO, it's best to skip the island.  

Thanks for your report!   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the report.  There has been so much rain in MB this winter that is hard to imagine any course not being CPO.  Hope it starts to dry out.  

Our group is not coming until October so I hope that things will be somewhat "normal" by then, although I do not mind wearing a mask to keep covid down.  Here in Ohio almost all people are biding by the mask rule.  I have not been to a bar or restaurant in about a year.

ReplyQuote
Benmore
(@benmore)

Thanks for the report. Good to read about a couple of courses and eateries I haven't been to.

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the report on both the restaurants and golf, as well as the Covid mask update.  

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member

Thanks for reporting @kio57!

How was the weather during this short golf outing?

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
kio57
(@kio57)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@denisgilbert

Weather was fantastic the three days (Tue-Thurs) we played. Sunny and low to mid-60's. Friday was sunny and warm but windy.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Thanks for your report, 3 decent courses, Litchfield a better one then most give it.

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member

thanks for the update on courses and places to eat. I cant believe they say a gaiter isnt a mask. Last time i look it covered us up. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jbshepherds

thanks for the update on courses and places to eat. I cant believe they say a gaiter isnt a mask. Last time i look it covered us up. 

I think the issue with a Gaiter mask is all types of materials are used and
many are a lot more porous than the typical masks being used, that are
more dense.   

In other golf forums I see arguments about masks were some argue masks
don't work, just because they are not 100%.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

Thanks for your trip report. How was the protection against the covid at the golf course? 

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
kio57
(@kio57)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@s333h

The courses were fine from a COVID stand point. All required masks to enter the clubhouse. I really do not recall if the guys working the bag drop had on masks or not, but they were not crowded so it was easy to distance.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Good info Kio.

I didn't realize that masks are optional for wait staff. I figured that was mandatory everywhere. 

I really enjoyed Litchfield conditions when I played it.

Looks like a successful trip for you.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Share: