Notifications
Clear all

What's the Scene in the MB Area?  

RSS

BillFromPA
(@billfrompa)
06/09/2020 9:00 am  

We're coming down from Pa shortly, staying in a Place at the Beach condo next to Apache, 2 week stay. Curious to know if folks are wearing masks, avoiding crowding and generally following suggestions put out by medical experts. Wifey and I have limited going out since the weekend before St Pattys, she's been cranking out masks which our extended family of 11 have been using and will continue to use once there, at least when we have to go to Kroger's etc. We'll probably drop the masks on our balconies and on the beach if folks are pretty well spread out, no Captn Georges this year or Finn McCools or Bully Pub unfortunately, just curious to learn conditions in the area now.

Thanks!

jminrod
(@jminrod)
06/09/2020 10:10 am  

Hi Bill, I am also heading down 3rd week in July. I have 2 other folks from PA that have houses there. They both told me it is nothing like here. The one lady I work with has a condo and was down about three weeks ago and said the only people wearing masks were the severs. She mentioned there were a couple of people wearing them in the grocery store.

My other friend was down 2 weeks ago and told me the same thing. Didn't want to HiJack your post, maybe some locals can jump in as well. My trip is nonrefundable so I was trying to find out anything I could.

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
06/09/2020 2:21 pm  

Most, if not all, restaurants are at least doing take out.  If they have outside space, they are seating.  Many are seating inside as well.  I met my wife for lunch at Blueberry's Grill on 82nd two of the last three weeks and they were busy.

Most employees at grocery stores, restaurants, and other service places are wearing masks (not all, but most).  Stores are counting how many are allowed in a store but I've only had to wait at Sam's Club once, and it was only for about 10 minutes.  I've never had to wait at Wal Mart, Target, etc.

My wife & stepdaughter went shopping at Coastal Grand Mall this weekend and they were limiting the number of people entering the stores.

We hit the beach often and the beach was pretty normal.  Places like Myrtle Waves, the Go Kart Track, most Mini-golf places, Skywheel, etc., have been open now for some time.

Ocean Blvd has also been busy, although they've had barriers up to help with traffic flow along all of the sidewalks.

leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member
06/09/2020 2:22 pm  

Bill, I live around the corner from that area. Obviously, it has not been anything like you guys have been doing-my family and friends still live on the Jersey Shore.

NOBODY has practiced distancing down here. Nada. Masks have been very rare. If you go to the grocery store, maybe 20 percent of customers are masked. The Kroger you visit didnt require its associates to wear masks for maybe three weeks after it was recommended. (P.S. you're better off shopping at the publix or lowe's anyway). I have NEVER seen an employee or customer wear a mask at the Scotchman on that corner of Lake Arrowhead.

Haven't been to the beach lately but you can easily avoid people walking there or on Shore Dr/Kings Rd.

I will say that I've felt safer going to/playing the courses here than anywhere else.

ReplyQuote
BNLongdriver
(@bnlongdriver)
Administrator/Golf Director Admin
06/09/2020 3:46 pm  

I'd say about 1/4th of the people are wearing masks. Hotels, golf courses, bars/restaurants, the beach are all open. We're ready for you!!  

Brian Noblin
Myrtle Beach Golf Talk
Myrtle Beach Golf Packagers
Tidewater Golf Vacations
844-706-7503

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
06/09/2020 8:09 pm  

You shouldn't have any issues

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
BillFromPA
(@billfrompa)
06/10/2020 9:44 am  

Thanks for the info, everyone. Wifey and I will be doing Hummingbird a few times and I'll be taking the grand kids at least once there. My sons in law and I are doing 4 full rounds as well, we have a trophy called the Dixie Cup we compete for yearly, are the courses allowing 4 somes? Some courses up here started out 1 person per cart unless it's a married couple. As mentioned, when we have to go out in public we'll mask up but on our balconies and the beach probably not.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
06/10/2020 10:18 am  

We're sharing carts here - no problem

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
coastalguy
(@coastal-guy)
Trusted Member
06/10/2020 1:10 pm  

restaurants are open with seating spaced out at almost all places. Beaches have been packed as I've been down there quite a bit. But as long as you wash your hands you should be good, have fun! lol

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
06/15/2020 8:38 pm  

Restaurants have been an interesting mix. Most are practicing social distancing with the tables apart and with waiters/waitresses wearing masks. However I've run into a couple restaurants that are the total opposite business as usual ... no masks and no table separation.  There's been at least one place that lost their liquor license as a result of violating DHEC restaurant rules. There's also been 6 restaurants that have temporarily closed because one of their employees tested positive for Covid19.

All of the grocery stores I've visited (Bi-Lo, Publix and Kroger), all were sanitizing the carts and all employees were wearing masks. PGA superstore all employees were wearing masks and were sanitizing all clubs that come in for repair or trade-in. They also had convenient hand-sanitizer dispensers all over the store for customers to use. Horry County was listed as a "hot spot" for the rapid growth in new cases, but what's interesting is the death rate nationally has been slowing down despite the increase in new cases.

Most condo and HOA pools remain closed because they can't fulfill DHEC regulations without increasing cost. Ocean drive has a lot of cops on patrol. Most of the younger tourists are not practicing social distancing.

ReplyQuote
jminrod
(@jminrod)
06/16/2020 9:03 am  

@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer Thanks for the latest reports. Please keep us posted if you hear of anything. We are coming down in less than 4 weeks and are staying at the Wyndham Ocean blvd. North Myrtle Beach. I can't imagine trying to get through a week with the family if the pools were closed. If the golf courses are closed I would rather stay home. Fingers crossed no resurgence. 

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
06/16/2020 9:16 am  

@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer

Just an additional comment about the pools.  I live in the Market Common area and the pool in our development opened this weekend.  The pool in some of the other developments near me have been open for a few weeks.  My wife and I drove down Ocean Blvd on Sunday afternoon and several (if not all) pools were open.  Myrtle Waves is open too, which is a busy water park.  I don't know if the ordinances are different in NMB compared to MB, but that's what I see.  Unless there's a big spike in COVID cases to the point where we shut down again, I can't see things going backward.  My bet is you'll not have problems accessing a pool or playing golf.  

leftygar1, jbshepherds, DenisGilbert and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
BNLongdriver
(@bnlongdriver)
Administrator/Golf Director Admin
07/10/2020 1:26 pm  

SC Governor just made all alcohol sales after 11:00pm illegal! Makes no sense ... 

Brian Noblin
Myrtle Beach Golf Talk
Myrtle Beach Golf Packagers
Tidewater Golf Vacations
844-706-7503

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
07/21/2020 2:40 pm  

You know all booze contain corona or maybe he mixed up Corona Beer with the virus. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Share: