Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Top ten affordable ...

Top ten affordable courses in MB  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

S***H
(@s333h)
Estimable Member
February 9, 2019 9:14 am  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

JW - Crown Park is a nice layout that most golfers don't think about. Tier 4 but a better routing than Beachwood.

I agree. I prefer Crown Park to Beachwood. 

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
February 9, 2019 10:41 am  

I would certainly pay way more than $140 to play Augusta(not sure how much but, if I had the chance that number could go way up). But, to me each course has a max value and I am fortunate to have the MB Passport and other discount cards that I can play the courses and I am in the area a lot.  So, to pay for $140 for a MB area course for me is hard to justify. But, if I were traveling in from other areas it might well be justified. I have been on vacation in Florida and paid $100 for a round of golf just because I was on vacation.  Plus, the location is going to drive the cost up. 

MB has some great courses, but to me $140 gets to be a stretch. Mainly because I am there all the time and can find the deals. If it were a golf trip or one time a year thing, I might drop $140 on certain courses.  

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
February 9, 2019 1:13 pm  

MB courses have to make their $$ in the spring and fall, so the package rates are higher 
than what we want to pay at home.  Because of vacations and buddy trips, the premium
rates are paid on the trip.   Most of the non-forum golfers probably don't know what they
are paying for Caledonia, BF, etc, just that the total cost is $nnn.   The cost for 4 in a condo
is low enough per person, that it helps hide the golf cost.   

I tell my group what the golf costs are, in case they don't want to pay that, but they still 
want to play Cal, Dunes, etc.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Estimable Member
February 9, 2019 1:20 pm  

I like the Jones and Byrd courses, they have been trying to get the greens back after last years brutal winter, lots of patching in many spots but they are healing and warmer weather will help get them growing with the wetness we have had this year.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 9, 2019 3:41 pm  

I like the Maples and Jones layouts the best - but Maples hasn't been in good shape for awhile - I'm going to try and get out there this spring.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Trusted Member
February 9, 2019 5:15 pm  

Certainly there are some courses that almost anyone would pay more than $140 to play.  But in an area like MB where there are excellent choices for less, then  making a package for a group (that is at least somewhat cost conscious) it is difficult to include the more expensive courses.  

By the way, I read somewhere that the current price to play Pebble Beach, a public golf course, is over $500!!

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 9, 2019 5:55 pm  

I think to play Pebble you also have to stay in the Lodge there - in addition to 500!

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
February 9, 2019 8:04 pm  
Posted by: leftygar1

I like the Jones and Byrd courses, they have been trying to get the greens back after last years brutal winter, lots of patching in many spots but they are healing and warmer weather will help get them growing with the wetness we have had this year.

I like the Sea Trail courses, but I don't have much confidence in their conditions.  
They offer good Passport/MyGolf rates, but on package they are charging what the
Legends courses charge. 

Are they still patching or do you mean last summer they patched and you can see where?  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
February 9, 2019 8:08 pm  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

I like the Maples and Jones layouts the best - but Maples hasn't been in good shape for awhile - I'm going to try and get out there this spring.

ST Maples still has bent greens, but they are invaded a lot by fairway bermuda.   

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 10, 2019 7:39 am  

Art - I'll get over to ST and check them out. I may have to change my tagline soon

Playing the questionable courses so you don't have to!

I'm enjoying the new courses I have been playing and plan on continuing. Going to try and get Lefty to join me at some.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Estimable Member
February 10, 2019 10:48 am  

I have played at ST many times. Let us know for the conditions.

ReplyQuote
wolfpackguy
(@wolfpackguy)
Eminent Member
February 10, 2019 10:35 pm  

I would easily pay a thousand to play Augusta one time.  Just for the experience of it.  I mean it's not out of the ordinary to pay a grand or more for a vacation, so I would have no problem sacrificing one vacation for a round on those hallowed grounds.    As for Myrtle,  for me you can't beat Arcadian for the price, especially since the renovations. 

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Estimable Member
February 11, 2019 12:31 pm  

The vast majority of suggestions made so far are spot on!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Eminent Member
February 14, 2019 11:22 am  

With just a few exceptions, I believe that all golf in the MB area is affordable.  For golf associated with an accommodation & golf package, it's a no-brainer.  For golf rates utilizing the MB Passport or MyGolf platforms, it's also a no-brainer.  There could be some sticker shock for:  (1) Dunes Golf & Beach, Caledonia Golf & Fish, True Blue and a couple others, and (2) a player is simply making arrangements where the 'rack rate' is charged.  Seasonal rates do apply here so buyer beware as pricing changes occur depending on the popularity of the time of year. 

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
February 14, 2019 2:50 pm  

A guy I do business with was in the Myrlte area on summer vacation with his family. He said let's meet and play golf. I said where you want to go? He said, well, the good thing about this area is that there isn't an expensive golf course here. I laughed said well we might as well go somewhere like Caledonia. This was in the summer, but he was from a big city area and he was not shocked at all. He was like this is cheap! So, it is all relative I guess.  He thought the price was awesome. I guess when you are used to $150 and above for top shelf golf courses, Myrtle is a great value. 

I think that is why the packages do so well. Get a 4 day package for $500 or bucks(give or take) and a free meal somewhere with a breakfast. Includes room.  For guys in other parts of the country it is a steal. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: