Clear all

The Witch 9-30-20  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
09/30/2020 2:07 pm  

So more overnight rains again. Color me shocked. We knew the Witch would be a mess, but damn!!! CPO obviously, but sometimes was a challenge to find a path from the cartpath to the tee without sinking in mud up to your ankles. First few tee boxes were almost unplayable...we found the nearest ground to the tee that was solid enough to support a tee holding up a ball & played from there. The back 9 was a little drier than the front, but still plugged a few balls in the fairway.

The greens were a pleasant surprise, smooth & rolled at a nice speed, but again,  chipping around the greens off spongy saturated Bermuda was a real challenge. I went to bumping stuff along the ground with a 4 hybrid whenever possible.

So, another course that except for the waterlogged conditions would be in great shape & I would recommend. 

So that's it for the Larry Tour 2020. Will post a random thoughts and musings post later, along with a link to pictures.

Big thanks again to Brian Noblin for helping put it all together & coming out to join us a couple times....always a hoot!

jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
09/30/2020 2:43 pm  

Thanks for the soggy update on a course i love to play. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member
09/30/2020 2:48 pm  

Thanks for the report. Definitely knocking this one off the list in October.

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
09/30/2020 4:25 pm  

The view from #9 tee this morning. Getting hard to see the fairway with how tall the stuff in the marsh is getting. Props to the Water Chicken for posing in the perfect spot.

aviary image 1601496692102

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
09/30/2020 4:32 pm  

Thanks @Skippy!

From what I read about your whole trip, the luck wasn't on your side, weather wise.

So, from your own standpoint, does spring is the best season to do a Myrtle Beach golf trip?

Be safe on your way back home!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
09/30/2020 4:37 pm  

@denisgilbert

If they hadn't had all that rain a couple weeks ago, & then almost nightly rain while we were here, conditions would have been fantastic. 

Still, I think we're going to go back to coming in the Spring, starting next year, especially since that's only about a 6 month wait!

My shoe after 1 hole played today.

aviary image 1601496798519

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
09/30/2020 4:38 pm  

@denisgilbert

If they hadn't had all that rain a couple weeks ago, & then almost nightly rain while we were here, conditions would have been fantastic. 

Still, I think we're going to go back to coming in the Spring, starting next year, especially since that's only about a 6 month wait!

My shoe after 1 hole played today.

aviary image 1601496798519

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
09/30/2020 4:39 pm  

Another vote for Spring golf in Myrtle Beach!

Would rather begin my golf season in the Golf Mecca than feeling deeply depressed after a fall trip that would make and end!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
09/30/2020 4:54 pm  

Thanks for all of your reports, especially for those of us who allowed CV 
to keep us away from MB in 2020. 

I really like that 9th hole on The Witch.   They cut the trees occasionally, 
after you can't see anything out there.  Even if you know the hole, it's
difficult to hit a tee shot that gets a good look at the green, mostly from
not hitting it far enough.     

Did you pick out a lot?  🙂  

Thanks! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
09/30/2020 5:01 pm  
Posted by: @denisgilbert

From what I read about your whole trip, the luck wasn't on your side, weather wise.

So, from your own standpoint, does spring is the best season to do a Myrtle Beach golf trip?

Be safe on your way back home!

I think Spring is better, but fall is also very good.  It's better to do both. 🙂 

Skippy ran into a wet Sept.  Last year I was playing on burned out fairways 
at the Big Cats in early Oct, from a lack of rain and them not watering. 

Mid Oct into Nov, we can run into overseeding and it's wetness.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
09/30/2020 10:00 pm  

Hoping for a dry spell so I can play the Witch in decent condition.

Any more rumors about closure Skip?

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
10/01/2020 5:19 am  

@jw11

Didn't hear anything, but only talked to the bag drop guys.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/01/2020 6:02 am  

This has been a very wet fall. Over 10 inches of rain in the last two weeks at my house. Been hard to mow between the rains. Looks like we are getting some sunshine for a few days. 

That said - this is Myrtle Beach where you can never count on the forecast - despite the rain Skip played golf every day and only got wet on a couple of afternoon rounds. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
10/01/2020 8:21 am  

UGP...the forecast looks like it will be drier, but like you said about forecasts.....

You Da Man Skippy

Thanks for all the reviews.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
10/01/2020 3:37 pm  

Thanks for the reports.  Sorry you got so much rain.  Our group always goes in October and usually we have pretty good weather although in the last 4 years we have run into a hurricane and a tropical storm.

Liked your comment about chipping with a hybrid.  I do the same when I am in the fairway just short of the green and have a clear path to the pin.  I just use my putting stroke and have had good success.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: