North, Central, or ...

North, Central, or South Strand??  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

pmaxryan
(@pmaxryan)
11/20/2019 11:51 pm  

If you could only play the courses in one of the three areas, which would you choose and why? Thanks!

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
11/21/2019 12:59 am  

Are you asking because you are planning a golf trip to MB or because you are 
moving to MB?    

Even if you have played every course in MB, it would still be hard to decide.      

North seems to have more of the less crowded by package players, mid-level courses.     
Central has a lot of courses from low to premium, but has traffic and is busy.  
South has fewer courses, but they are all mid to premium.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/21/2019 5:35 am  

There are great courses in all locations. You can find high end, middle, and low end North, South, and Middle.

It becomes more of where you want to stay. If you don't mind traveling, go with staying in the middle where all the action is, but there is also plenty to do north or south. My personal preference is sort of north around the Barefoot area which does make the south courses a little bit of a drive but 22 and 31 help.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
coastalguy
(@coastal-guy)
11/21/2019 10:08 am  

South end courses for sure. TPC Myrtle and Pawley's Plantation are two of my favorite courses. Also, living down there or staying on a trip down there is better than being in down town I think, less traffic, more open beaches if you're on vacation, and what can beat the Marshwalk for dinner and drinks with live bands all spring and summer long. South end just seems more relaxed to me with still a great amount of courses at the mid-tier to premium level.

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Estimable Member
11/21/2019 10:46 am  

I have a place in the South end. So, I can give some perspective there. the courses are mid to high end for the most part. The lower end courses have gone by the wayside. There are some great courses(Prestwick, Caledonia, TPC, Pawleys, etc.) and great mid tier like Tradition, River Club, Willbrook, etc.). You really wont' find a bad course. 

We used to stay all the time up in the Barefoot area so you have high end there at the Barefoot Resort, but the more North you go it seems you can find less crowded more value courses. 

I don't think you can really go wrong anywhere. But, the South end seems to be all high mid tier to upper end courses if that makes sense.  

ReplyQuote
coastalguy
(@coastal-guy)
11/21/2019 12:21 pm  

I did forget to add in Caledonia and True Blue as favorites as well, and while thinking I did find one downside of the south end though in that it is much lower and encompassed by coastal areas, rivers, swamps, i.e doesn't drain as well as the north end and central courses meaning a higher probability of cart path only from rain, just a thought.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
11/21/2019 12:52 pm  

This is a darn good question!

Would personnally choose the southern part, because of the overall environment, then central... because it's central.

And even if there are plenty of good golf options in the northern part, I wouldn't go past Barefoot in terms of location.

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
11/21/2019 1:25 pm  

When in MB in April, it usually appears to me that the bermuda grass is a lot more 
out of dormancy at south end courses, compared to the courses around the NC/SC 
line and especially compared to Rivers Edge.   

It may not feel warmer on the South end, but there is some temp difference, even
if it's only the night time lows in the winter and early spring, that affect bermuda
going dormant in the fall and coming out of dormancy in the spring.       

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
11/21/2019 1:43 pm  

North, South or Central, makes no difference to me, so many good choices all up and down the Strand.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Estimable Member
11/21/2019 3:32 pm  

I'm a north end guy.  We have stayed in NMB for at least the last 15 years.  Quality courses, good restaurants, and easy access (Hwy 31) to central and south MB.  

ReplyQuote
CBP Section 205
(@cbp-section-205)
Eminent Member
11/21/2019 3:39 pm  

We seem to stay in NMB and play middle/north or lower Myrtle Beach and play south/middle courses.  Really - hard to go wrong.  

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Eminent Member
11/21/2019 5:53 pm  

We have been part time residents at Brunswick Plantation for nearly 15 years now.  Obviously, this is a northern location.  Most of the time I spend my golf time at mid tier and upper level courses, namely Tidewater, Thistle, Leopard's Chase, Tiger's Eye, Glen Dornoch and the occasional round at the Surf Club.  Others on the rotation include Crow Creek, Brunswick Plantation, Oyster Bay, Pearl, River's Edge, and the occasional round at Cape Fear National.  One very special experience is Bald Head Island... if you have not taken the time to put this to the test, please make it a priority as it is so worth the time.  The experience of taking a ferry, getting picked up on the island and taking in the exquisite Bald Head landscape will be unforgettable, this is a full day experience.  Located in the north also allows easy access to some terrific central locations including Arcadian Shores, Barefoot, and, the very best, Dunes Golf & Beach Club (it's #1 on my list).

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Estimable Member
11/21/2019 10:43 pm  
Posted by: @artmbgolf

When in MB in April, it usually appears to me that the bermuda grass is a lot more 
out of dormancy at south end courses, compared to the courses around the NC/SC 
line and especially compared to Rivers Edge.   

It may not feel warmer on the South end, but there is some temp difference, even
if it's only the night time lows in the winter and early spring, that affect bermuda
going dormant in the fall and coming out of dormancy in the spring.       

Don't know if there is any weather difference(don't think so between NMB and South Strand) , but when you start getting to Murrels Inlet and below you start getting into more of a low county of SC "feel".  I am not a turf expert but, it could be soil conditions(lots of courses on old Rice plantations on South end)  or when they plant the Rye and it starts to burn off. I have not noticed a difference, but there sure could be.

ReplyQuote
rickatagf
(@rickatagf)
11/22/2019 3:55 pm  

South for me:

1) Caledonia

2) TPC

3) True Blue

4) Pawleys

5) Heritage

This is pretty well a dream lineup under any circumstances. As to North-- Tidewater, Dunes, Barefoot is a pretty good starter list as well. 

For me-- the low country water courses and the scenery are what South Carolina golf is about.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
11/25/2019 10:31 am  

I always stay south but i dont mine traveling north to play. 

I think southern and Central have great courses that keep me challenged and entertained. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: