Notifications
Clear all

Sponcia shorty report  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

jtsponcia
(@jtsponcia)
07/06/2020 4:55 pm  

Long-time member here.  Booked and played with Brian many, many times and know personally many trip leaders.  Family trip last week...so not much golf.  Sorry.

Stayed at the Maisons Sur Mer.  I always feel gay and pronounce it with a weird accent when I explain that's where I stay, but it's nice and has senior citizen security that could probably run a 20 second 40 makes me feel safe.  I book on VRBO.  You should too if you like a nice place.

Golf:

My Dad moved to North Myrtle a year ago, so got to play with him and my son (15).

Most places are in the process of healing up from being punched.  My rule of thumb is 3 weeks.  I know, they'll tell you small tines and shit, but stick to three weeks.  

Prestwick:

Why Prestwick seems to always be under most people's radar is beyond me.  It was in astoundingly amazing shape, but when isn't it?  It used to be a country club and you can see it with the non-boring ass greens.  Front side is hard as Algebra I.  A little tight, but manageable unless you use golf as a verb and wear cargo's.  Back side is as good as any on the strand. Lots of movement, elevation change, really really cool side after 10.  

Course was in (no shit) 9.6/10 shape.  Greens, fast, firm, fun.  Very hard to putt if you aren't used to that much slope.  Fairways were mowed tightish, bunkers were very fair.  

Pace:  3.5 hours with my dad that shot 110.  No double tee!

Staff laughed at my mask jokes and TN accent.  

If you are thinking about where to play, drive 30 minutes out of your way to do it.  It's that good!

Barefoot Love:  

With the other Barefoots punched too close (ok, Norman is terrible) to my arrival, I opted for the snooze-fest called LOVE.  If you take the faux ruins away...I don't know if it cracks the top 20 on the strand for me.  It's just...a waste of a decent piece of land.  Rough mowed right up to the greens in most spots where some chipping areas would have been welcome.  Not really any good risk/reward shots to speak of.  It's just ok for me...and not worth even summer rates.  Greens were way way slower than Prestwick for double the price. Tee boxes were like a short brush T.  

Staff was great. Pace was the normal...

If you're thinking of Barefoot, please choose Love or Norman when I'm in town, and if not, Fazio and Dye so I can get back to the Maisons and lay at the beach and listen to Van Halen.

Food:

Luigis - This place is loud AF, but food is amazing.  I nearly have an anxiety attack every time I eat there and have to be settled by great food. Place is tiny.  If you can deal with flys, sit outside.  Food is always 10/10 and so is service. Early bird menu is good for you cheap asses or people with noise issues (like me).  

Harry the hats (appetizers/beer) - When tatted up, potentially very high server dropped off the wrong beers, my girlfriend person said one beer and done.  The place looks like 1989, and smells like it too.  I think Jeff Yank Gehm likes it, so I thought, it can't be that shitty.  It was.  Place needs an update (sorry Jeff, love you).

Chucks - on a whim, girlfriend person and I went to Chucks.  It was 10 removed link  Happy hour menu is ridiculous.  Great items.  Good prices.  They have carpet so sound is absorbed.  High ceilings.  We ordered a little of everything.  Crab cakes.  Prime rib sandwich.  French onion soup.  Deserts.  Service was amazing.  My son got the BBQ and it was spot on.  Just go.

Pawleys Island Tavern - Overpriced and fair.  Crabcakes were 6 removed link  Scallops at lunch were good but overpriced.  Cool little spot, but food was so so. 

River City Cafe - We go to the one near my gay sounding condo at the Sands.  Don't let 1985-era Sands fool you, RCC is separate and clean, nice.  Staff is on it.  All the food, burgers, salads (yeah, I'm old now, so I have to eat them), fish, all amazing.  Bands, still really bad 80's.  They play probably the worst music:  Mony Mony, Taking care of business, Mustang Sally.  The pool area, if it had a website, would rival people of walmart.  It's amazing.  I think you need at least 7 Tat's to enter the pool.  I still have none and fell like a weeny, but it's a short walk, good food, good price.  

Duccati's - Tried their pizza.  It was ok.  Not the best, not the worst.  7 removed link  Benito's is still the best.  Don't argue. It's always consistent.  Real Italian kids work there.  

Dino's - went for breakfast.  Prices up 25-30%!  Same great staff though.  Bacon, I could almost see through and almost broke my teeth.  $25 for my son and I to eat french toast and bacon!?!?!?  No more golfers specials to speak of.  I wish we would have went to Cracker Barrel.

Finn McCools - ok, this place..man.  It's right by our place, but a bit dated.  Loud AF, not as loud as Luigis, but loud.  Got probably the worst wings I've ever had in my life.  Not even joking.  Zero flavor.  Rubbery.  Tasted like they never changed their grease.  Also got the flavorless broccoli balls.  Don't order either item!  BUT!!!! GF person ordered their mushroom sandwich on pita and she said best sandwich she'd ever had.  I ordered their stew.  Holy shit!  10 removed link  I borderline wanted to take some home.  It was life changing.  Service is spotty as hell.  They were out of lots of beers.  Weird.

Fire and Smoke - Everything about the outside says, "shithole", everything about the inside and menu is out of the world!  Smoked Caesar is as good as you'll ever eat!  Elk - wut!  Braised Short rib with perfectly cooked carrots and risotto!  Macaroni and cheese is rich.  This place is rarely busy + bonus NO KID MENU!  I go here every time and am never disappointed.  

Several places were shut down due to the Flu.  I've lived 48 years now and never would dream they'd shut shit down over the flu...but sad to say, we've raised a generation of pansy's.  

Masks are probably required now but was calm when I was there.  I think the only place that was Nazi about it was the outlets.  We didn't venture downtown, as we didn't want to get shot.  Hoping vigilantes come back into vogue ala' Charles Bronson removed link  

All in All, a fun trip with little golf unfortunately.  

This topic was modified 1 month ago by jtsponcia

Estreeter, hookybass, DenisGilbert and 1 people liked
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
07/06/2020 8:15 pm  

Joe Sponcia is back! We missed you ! How is the life now for you?

I have always like to read your trip reports Sponcia. You have a sense of humor very rare. 

Prestwick was on my list last winter before this covid-19 situation. If it is possible to cross the borders next winter, this course is the first that i will play. 

I am hoping that we will read you again in a near future. Thanks for sharing this report with us.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member
07/06/2020 8:24 pm  

Thanks for sharing agree about prestwick nice course.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
BNLongdriver
(@bnlongdriver)
Administrator/Golf Director Admin
07/07/2020 9:39 am  

We sure have missed you!!!! 

Brian Noblin
Myrtle Beach Golf Talk
Myrtle Beach Golf Packagers
Tidewater Golf Vacations
844-706-7503

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
07/07/2020 12:16 pm  

Joe always has interesting and fun comments.   

Fire and Smoke is very good.  They do get busy on the weekends, so 
reservations are sometimes needed.    

Thanks!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
07/07/2020 8:52 pm  

Whare ya been ?

Thanks for reporting.

Good info.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
07/08/2020 12:56 pm  

Thanks a lot @jtsponcia for this special report!

I'm always glad to read you and, most of all, have great memories of playing with @bnlongdriver and you at BF Love a few years ago!

Take care!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/08/2020 2:10 pm  
Posted by: @jtsponcia

I don't know if it cracks the top 20 on the strand for me.

Love is an good course but I agree, not all that exciting. If ruins are your thing, go to Rome. On a golf course - not that big a deal!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jtsponcia
(@jtsponcia)
07/08/2020 2:17 pm  

Thanks Guys!  Been a rough last couple of years at home, but starting to feel like a human again.  Was good to get back to Myrtle, see my Dad, and relive my youth with writing my whatevereth trip report!

If at all possible, I'd love to meet the Trip leaders if that event is still going this fall/Winter?

Joe

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
07/08/2020 6:36 pm  

Welcome back to the human race JTS

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Bob Washburn
(@bob-washburn)
Eminent Member
07/09/2020 10:05 am  

I've missed the Sponcia Style.  Nice report.  

ReplyQuote
GolfdawgZ
(@golfdawgz)
Eminent Member
07/09/2020 12:25 pm  

Great report...Love the personal commentary.  I have many of the same feelings about this China Virus.

GolfdawgZ

daz

hookybass liked
ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
07/09/2020 1:33 pm  

Joe, thanks for your take on your trip down to MB, 2 nice courses, agree with you on Prestwick one solid course for the buck.  Tough luck on your food spots, happens in MB though, one day great the next no so.  Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
07/09/2020 9:13 pm  
Posted by: @jtsponcia

Long-time member here.  Booked and played with Brian many, many times and know personally many trip leaders.  Family trip last week...so not much golf.  Sorry.

Stayed at the Maisons Sur Mer.  I always feel gay and pronounce it with a weird accent when I explain that's where I stay, but it's nice and has senior citizen security that could probably run a 20 second 40 makes me feel safe.  I book on VRBO.  You should too if you like a nice place.

Golf:

My Dad moved to North Myrtle a year ago, so got to play with him and my son (15).

Most places are in the process of healing up from being punched.  My rule of thumb is 3 weeks.  I know, they'll tell you small tines and shit, but stick to three weeks.  

Prestwick:

Why Prestwick seems to always be under most people's radar is beyond me.  It was in astoundingly amazing shape, but when isn't it?  It used to be a country club and you can see it with the non-boring ass greens.  Front side is hard as Algebra I.  A little tight, but manageable unless you use golf as a verb and wear cargo's.  Back side is as good as any on the strand. Lots of movement, elevation change, really really cool side after 10.  

Course was in (no shit) 9.6/10 shape.  Greens, fast, firm, fun.  Very hard to putt if you aren't used to that much slope.  Fairways were mowed tightish, bunkers were very fair.  

Pace:  3.5 hours with my dad that shot 110.  No double tee!

Staff laughed at my mask jokes and TN accent.  

If you are thinking about where to play, drive 30 minutes out of your way to do it.  It's that good!

Barefoot Love:  

With the other Barefoots punched too close (ok, Norman is terrible) to my arrival, I opted for the snooze-fest called LOVE.  If you take the faux ruins away...I don't know if it cracks the top 20 on the strand for me.  It's just...a waste of a decent piece of land.  Rough mowed right up to the greens in most spots where some chipping areas would have been welcome.  Not really any good risk/reward shots to speak of.  It's just ok for me...and not worth even summer rates.  Greens were way way slower than Prestwick for double the price. Tee boxes were like a short brush T.  

Staff was great. Pace was the normal...

If you're thinking of Barefoot, please choose Love or Norman when I'm in town, and if not, Fazio and Dye so I can get back to the Maisons and lay at the beach and listen to Van Halen.

Food:

Luigis - This place is loud AF, but food is amazing.  I nearly have an anxiety attack every time I eat there and have to be settled by great food. Place is tiny.  If you can deal with flys, sit outside.  Food is always 10/10 and so is service. Early bird menu is good for you cheap asses or people with noise issues (like me).  

Harry the hats (appetizers/beer) - When tatted up, potentially very high server dropped off the wrong beers, my girlfriend person said one beer and done.  The place looks like 1989, and smells like it too.  I think Jeff Yank Gehm likes it, so I thought, it can't be that shitty.  It was.  Place needs an update (sorry Jeff, love you).

Chucks - on a whim, girlfriend person and I went to Chucks.  It was 10 removed link  Happy hour menu is ridiculous.  Great items.  Good prices.  They have carpet so sound is absorbed.  High ceilings.  We ordered a little of everything.  Crab cakes.  Prime rib sandwich.  French onion soup.  Deserts.  Service was amazing.  My son got the BBQ and it was spot on.  Just go.

Pawleys Island Tavern - Overpriced and fair.  Crabcakes were 6 removed link  Scallops at lunch were good but overpriced.  Cool little spot, but food was so so. 

River City Cafe - We go to the one near my gay sounding condo at the Sands.  Don't let 1985-era Sands fool you, RCC is separate and clean, nice.  Staff is on it.  All the food, burgers, salads (yeah, I'm old now, so I have to eat them), fish, all amazing.  Bands, still really bad 80's.  They play probably the worst music:  Mony Mony, Taking care of business, Mustang Sally.  The pool area, if it had a website, would rival people of walmart.  It's amazing.  I think you need at least 7 Tat's to enter the pool.  I still have none and fell like a weeny, but it's a short walk, good food, good price.  

Duccati's - Tried their pizza.  It was ok.  Not the best, not the worst.  7 removed link  Benito's is still the best.  Don't argue. It's always consistent.  Real Italian kids work there.  

Dino's - went for breakfast.  Prices up 25-30%!  Same great staff though.  Bacon, I could almost see through and almost broke my teeth.  $25 for my son and I to eat french toast and bacon!?!?!?  No more golfers specials to speak of.  I wish we would have went to Cracker Barrel.

Finn McCools - ok, this place..man.  It's right by our place, but a bit dated.  Loud AF, not as loud as Luigis, but loud.  Got probably the worst wings I've ever had in my life.  Not even joking.  Zero flavor.  Rubbery.  Tasted like they never changed their grease.  Also got the flavorless broccoli balls.  Don't order either item!  BUT!!!! GF person ordered their mushroom sandwich on pita and she said best sandwich she'd ever had.  I ordered their stew.  Holy shit!  10 removed link  I borderline wanted to take some home.  It was life changing.  Service is spotty as hell.  They were out of lots of beers.  Weird.

Fire and Smoke - Everything about the outside says, "shithole", everything about the inside and menu is out of the world!  Smoked Caesar is as good as you'll ever eat!  Elk - wut!  Braised Short rib with perfectly cooked carrots and risotto!  Macaroni and cheese is rich.  This place is rarely busy + bonus NO KID MENU!  I go here every time and am never disappointed.  

Several places were shut down due to the Flu.  I've lived 48 years now and never would dream they'd shut shit down over the flu...but sad to say, we've raised a generation of pansy's.  

Masks are probably required now but was calm when I was there.  I think the only place that was Nazi about it was the outlets.  We didn't venture downtown, as we didn't want to get shot.  Hoping vigilantes come back into vogue ala' Charles Bronson removed link  

All in All, a fun trip with little golf unfortunately.  

Good report and a fun read.  Will have to try Fire & Smoke on a date night with my wife.  

Fun fact, I grew up in the next town over from where Charles Bronson was born and raised.  I didn't know him, but my grandparents and Dad did (when he was Charlie Buchinsky).  My sister-in-law's parents still live in the same town where he was born & raised.

ReplyQuote
djgoodmansr
(@djgoodmansr)
Eminent Member
07/10/2020 3:34 pm  

@jtsponcia

If you're talking about the Forum Outing it's still in October. Number of attendees is way down this year. I am not going to make it to the Outing either, but me, Yank and another friend of mine are supposed to be in MB October 1-8. Haven't seen you in like 5 years when you last attended the October Outing. Good to see you back in Myrtle and reporting in your customary entertaining style. Chuck's is my go to place so glad to hear your review. Soured on Finn McCools several years ago. Stay connected my friend.

P.S. I will never forget meeting you for the first time. I was going into 2001 and Yank was carrying you out. LOL!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: