Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Was wondering if th...

Was wondering if this is still true today....  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

RickK
(@rickk)
Eminent Member
09/07/2019 11:28 am  

Under the heading of this very part of the forum..

"Myrtle Beach has over 100 courses that you can play. And this is the place to talk about them"

I can't seem to find a list of all the courses in what is considered to be the general Myrtle Beach area.  I realize it includes courses far south of MB and far north of MB.

But, was wondering if it is still over 100 with all the closings or how close it is getting to 100 if still over that number with the potential closings we have heard about this year.   

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by RickK

2manyputters
(@2manyputters)
Eminent Member
09/07/2019 11:49 am  
Posted by: RickK

Under the heading of this very part of the forum..

"Myrtle Beach has over 100 courses that you can play. And this is the place to talk about them"

I can't seem to find a list of all the courses in what is considered to be the general Myrtle Beach area.  I realize it includes courses far south of MB and far north of MB.

But, was wondering if it is still over 100 with all the closings or how close it is getting to 100 if still over that number with the potential closings we have heard about this year.   

I think the number dropped under 100 some years ago. A quick search told me it’s over 80 courses now. I’m sure someone will get an accurate count.

IMG_0649.jpg

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
09/07/2019 12:53 pm  

Courses that have 27 holes are counted as 1 1/2 not many of them left now can only think of Carolina National and Brunswick off the top of my head.  The total number of courses from Pawley's area up to Cape Fear National and Southport areas would make it close to 100 I am guessing.   

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
09/07/2019 1:49 pm  

I count 96 counting 2019 closing.   My list is below.   
It has the year courses opened, closed, changed and a running total.   

MYRTLE BEACH GOLF COURSES -- CHRONOLOGICAL

YEAR ### COURSES OPENED
1927 1 Pine Lakes (originally Ocean Forest Club)
1948 2 The Dunes (hosted SR Tour Champ 1994-1999)
1960 3 Surf Club
1962 4 Whispering Pines
1966 7 Brierwood - Litchfield - Myrtlewood(Pine Hills)(Rebuilt in 1993)
1967 9 Sea Gull - Quail Creek
1968 12 Beachwood - Possum Trot - Robbers Roost
1971 15 Azalea Sands - Eagles Nest - Cypress Bay
1972 18 Bay Tree (Gold-Green-Silver)
1973 21 Myrtle Beach National (Kings North-West-Southcreek)(North rebuilt as Kings North in 1996)
1974 24 Arcadian Shores - Myrtlewood(Palmetto) - Wedgefield Plantation
1975 27.5 Waterway Hills (27) - Deer Track(Toski) - Carolina Shores
1976 29.5 Raccoon Run - Ocean Isle Beach
1978 "Year of Art's first MB trip."
1970s -- Built 17.5 Courses

1980 34 Burning Ridge(West) - Gator Hole - Island Green (27) - Marsh Harbour(Starts Upscale/Moves MB North)
1981 35 Deer Track(South)
1983 36 Oyster Bay
1984 37 Indian Wells
1985 39 River Club - Wachesaw Plantation (Private)
1986 41 Heritage Club - Burning Ridge(East)
1987 50 Heather Glen (27) - DeBordieu (Private) - River Oaks (27) - Pearl (East-West)
Brick Landing - Sea Trail(Maples) - Sandpiper Bay (First 18)
1988 57 Lockwood Folly - Eastport - Colonial Charters - Long Bay - Willbrook - Pawleys Plantation - Rolling Hills
1989 65.5 River Hills - Sea Trail(Jones) - Prestwick - The Witch - Ocean Harbour - Heron Point - Black Bear - Aberdeen (27)
1980s -- Built 34 Courses

1990 71.5 Tidewater - Indigo Creek - Blackmoor - Legends(Heathland - Moorland) - Sea Trail(Byrd)
1991 73.5 Lions Paw - Wild Wing(Woodstork)
1992 78 Wild Wing(Hummingbird) - Founders Club SJ - Brunswick (27) - Legends(Parkland)
1993 79 Wild Wing(Avocet)
1994 82.5 Wild Wing(Falcon) - Caledonia - Arrowhead (27)
1995 86.5 Tradition Club - Wicked Stick - Panthers Run - Belle Terre
1996 92.5 Angels Trace (36) - Man O War - The Wizard - Wachesaw East - Glen Dornoch
1997 96.5 Calabash - Meadowlands - Members Club - Players Club
1998 101.5 True Blue - Carolina National (27) - Winyah Bay - Magnolia Greens (27)
1999 109.5 TPC - Diamond Back - Rivers Edge - World Tour (27) - Thistle (27) - Reserve Club (Private) - Crow Creek
1990s -- Built 44 Courses

2000 114.5 NEW COURSES: Barefoot (Fazio-Love-Norman-Dye) - Tigers Eye - International Club
Members Club SJ (New Cate 9) - Sandpiper Bay (New Bay 9)
COURSES CLOSED: Gator Hole - Ocean Harbour
New Tifeagle Greens: True Blue
2001 119 NEW COURSES: Farmstead - Grande Dunes - Shaftesbury Glen - Crown Park (27)
2002 119 "No New Courses opened for first time in 22 years."
New Tifeagle Greens: Tidewater
2003 116.5 COURSES CLOSED: Marsh Harbour - Robbers Roost - Crown Park (closed 9 holes)
New Tifeagle Greens: Parkland, Blackmoor, Indian Wells
New Bent Greens: The Dunes, Sea Trail(Maples)
2004 116.5 New Tifeagle Greens: Moorland, Oyster Bay, Burning Ridge(East)
New Tifdwarf Greens: Myrtlewood(Pine Hills)
2005 110.5 NEW COURSES: Grande Dunes(Members)(private)
COURSES CLOSED: Winyah Bay - Raccoon Run - Ocean Isle Beach - Burning Ridge(West) - Belle Terre
Calabash - Sea Gull
COURSE TURNS PRIVATE: Surf
New Tifdwarf Greens: Wedgefield
New Tifeagle Greens: Island Green
New Champions Greens: Caledonia, Long Bay
2006 100 NEW COURSES: Reserve Club ST James - Leopards Chase
COURSES CLOSED: Bay Tree (Green,Gold,Silver) - Angels Trace(North,South)
Wild Wing (Woodstork,Hummingbird,Falcon) - Island Green (Dogwood 9)
Deer Track (North,South) - Pine Lakes - Green Acres
New Bent Greens: Pearl (West)
New Champions Greens: Willbrook, Black Bear, Brunswick
2007 101 COURSES CLOSED: Eastport
OLD COURSES ADDED: Oak Island - Bald Head Island
New Champions Greens: Heathland, Heritage, River Oaks
New Mini-Verde Greens: TPC
2008 103.5 NEW COURSES: Founders Club Pawleys (Formerly Sea Gull)
RE-OPENED: Eastport - WW Hummingbird 9
Renovated: Palmetto Greens (Formerly Colonial Charters), Eagle Nest
New Mini Verde Greens: MBN South, Eagle Nest, Eastport, Sandpiper (Sand 9)
2009 105.5 NEW COURSES: Pine Lakes (Rebuilt) - Cape Fear
Renovated: Tidewater - River Oaks(Otter 9)
New Mini Verde Greens: Sandpiper (Piper 9), Arrowhead
New Champions Greens: Sea Trail(Byrd)
New Paspalum Greens: Rivers Edge
2000s -- Built 16.5 Courses -- Closed 25 -- Rebuilt 4

2010 105.5 Renovated: River Oaks (Fox 9) - Bald Head Island (Rebuilt by Tim Cate)
New Mini Verde Greens: Sandpiper (Bay 9), Panthers Run, Bald Head Island
2011 105.5 New Mini Verde Greens: Quail Creek - WW Avocet - MBN West - Lions Paw - Brick Landing - Pearl East
New Champions Greens: Magnolia Greens - River Club - BF Fazio - BF Norman
2012 105.5 New Mini Verde Greens: World Tour
New Champions Greens: BF Love - BF Dye - Kings North - Grande Dunes Resort
New Tifeagle Greens: Prestwick - Meadowlands
New Bent Greens: Pearl West
2013 105 CLOSED: International 9 at World Tour
New Champions Greens: The Dunes - Carolina National
2014 103 CLOSED: Cypress Bay - Heron Point
New Champions Greens: Carolina National(IBIS)
New MiniVerde Greens: Tidewater
New Tifeagle Greens: Thistle (MacKay 9)
2015 100.5 CLOSED: Waterway Hills(27) - Wicked Stick
New Tifeagle Greens: Thistle (Stewart,Cameron)
New Sunday Greens: Rivers Edge
New Champions Greens: Black Bear
2016 98.5 CLOSED: Wedgefield - Island Green - Black Bear
NEW: Compass Pointe
New Sunday Greens: Lockwood
New Champions Greens: ST Jones - Surf Club - Wachesaw Plantation
2017 96 CLOSED: Brierwood - Heather Glen (27)
New Sunday Greens: Arcadian Shores
New Tifeagle Greens: Tigers Eye
New V8 Bent Greens: Crow Creek
2018 97   New Sunday Greens: Tradition - MW Pine Hills - International Club - Indigo Creek
Diamond Back - Brick Landing
New Tifeagle Greens: Panthers Run - SPB Bay 9
New Champions Greens: Glen Dornoch - Moorland
RE-OPENED:  Wedgefield
2019 96  CLOSED:  Possum Trot (Sept 30)
New Sunday Greens: Shaft Glen - MW Palmetto
New Mini-Verde Greens: Pearl West

SUMMARY: (Through 2019)
85.5 Public
10.5 Private Wach Plant - Reserve Litch - Debordieu - Surf - GD Members - St James (4.5) - Bald Head
96   Total

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by ArtMBGolf

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
09/07/2019 1:54 pm  

Like Gary posted, I count 27 hole courses as 1.5, MBN as 3, BF as 4.....  

Some ads are saying in the 80's, because they only count the courses they have listed
for package play.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
ZiggyGolfer
(@ziggygolfer)
09/07/2019 2:23 pm  

Sandpiper and Arrowhead are also 27

ReplyQuote
RickK
(@rickk)
Eminent Member
09/07/2019 3:04 pm  

Thanks guys.  Interesting info Art.  

So, with the potential demise of Indian Wells, some or all of Man O War and Wizard, and possibly some of those in NMB between Business 17 and the Waterway (Possum Trot, Beachwood, Azalea Sands) that number could drop even more.  

I guess Possum Trot is a sure thing already but who knows about the other 2.  

Oh...and I forgot...supposedly Wedgefield in Georgetown has reopened.  Not sure when, how it is, or anything about it but I got an email from them a while back.  So, take away a bunch, add 1.  

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by RickK

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
09/07/2019 3:19 pm  

Thanks Ziggy, knew I missed a couple.

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Trusted Member
09/07/2019 6:16 pm  

River Oaks is still 27 holes. The deal to build on the Bear 9 fell through. And yes, Wedgefield is open for play!

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Trusted Member
09/07/2019 6:37 pm  

I've got 99 active courses total in the three counties (Georgetown, Horry, Brunswick). Art's list has 96 with Wedgefield & River Oaks Bear nine still open. The additional courses I have are listed below. I include them in my list for two reasons: (i) they are located closer to Myrtle Beach than some other courses considered within the Grand Strand and (ii) for historical reasons. Back in the 1960s Cherry Hill and Northern Pines were frequently covered in the Sun News when Myrtle Beach was just starting to be known as a golf destination. In addition, the Lakes used to be in the list of courses advertised by On The Green magazine back in the 1970s.

Olde Fort (18)
The Lakes (18)
Cherry Hill (9)
Northern Pines (9)

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
09/07/2019 10:18 pm  

I updated my list.   

River Oaks website still shows 3 nines. 

Wedgefield website is mostly about the clubhouse food.  They aren't proud enough of
the course to show course photos, except for a few from people.  They have food photos 
galore.  It looks like their strategy is to have a working course to sell food related 
outings.   

ReplyQuote
RickK
(@rickk)
Eminent Member
09/07/2019 11:04 pm  

Noticed that too Art about Wedgefield.  And $35 for Saturday morning tee time...they are not real proud of their product so far.  

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
11/07/2019 7:05 am  

One year ago I made a prediction that in 10 years a new course will be built. I base this on the number of people moving into the area and make the assumption that a lot of them play golf. There is a huge development going up between Long Bay and Crown Park on hwy 9 that isn't getting much notice, as well as all the others on going. Being a developer doesn't make you smart and I have to believe that there is too much on the drawing boards now. MOW/Wizard are prime locations, though I wouldn't want to live there in the mess of traffic around Carolina Forest Blvd and 501.Northerners are flocking down south. I also predict that it will get more expensive to play as the courses fill up. This spring there were several courses so busy that did not allow comp play. I also predict that if a new course does open up, it will NOT be me doing it.

Art - you are a fount of information thanks for that with an assist from 1putt1

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
11/07/2019 1:41 pm  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

One year ago I made a prediction that in 10 years a new course will be built. I base this on the number of people moving into the area and make the assumption that a lot of them play golf. 

Do Jaguar's Lair completion  or  Marsh Harbour  rebuild count as new?    

A totally new plan for a course most likely will include a development with it.    

If many moving to MB for retirement are golfers, you would think the 
Calabash, Rt 9, Pawleys, etc, areas would be more popular than the more congested 
middle of MB.      

ReplyQuote
2manyputters
(@2manyputters)
Eminent Member
11/07/2019 2:07 pm  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

One year ago I made a prediction that in 10 years a new course will be built. I base this on the number of people moving into the area and make the assumption that a lot of them play golf. There is a huge development going up between Long Bay and Crown Park on hwy 9 that isn't getting much notice, as well as all the others on going. Being a developer doesn't make you smart and I have to believe that there is too much on the drawing boards now. MOW/Wizard are prime locations, though I wouldn't want to live there in the mess of traffic around Carolina Forest Blvd and 501.Northerners are flocking down south. I also predict that it will get more expensive to play as the courses fill up. This spring there were several courses so busy that did not allow comp play. I also predict that if a new course does open up, it will NOT be me doing it.

Art - you are a fount of information thanks for that with an assist from 1putt1

Speaking of growth and Rt. 9, do you know anything about the building that was Horry Seafood? I have never been in it, but it has been closed for a while now with no lease or for sale signs present. I keep thinking  a casual (non dive bar) food/drink spot further west might become more viable as population in that area increases. It's six miles from Long Bay for anything now, save for Seamans, which from the outside doesn't appear to be what I'm thinking about.

IMG_0649.jpg

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: