Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Pearl East - the lo...

Pearl East - the lost course  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
09/18/2019 6:40 pm  

The Pearl is an excellent 36 hole facility that somehow gets lost in the shuffle. Played East which has many excellent holes. Conditions were good - can easily play the ball down - roughs were a little difficult, tees OK, and greens good at about 9. I understand from a lurker that west course new greens are really good though a little slow. I don't understand why the Pearl doesn't get more love from the golfing public. In the 90's and early 2000's when I came with groups we would always play 36 here. Marsh views, good holes, on the East the final 3 finishing holes are terrific and tough along the marsh. Don't hesitate to put them on your to play list. I hope to play West next week and report. As a bonus, it's in Calabash, a nice little town that has some of the best sea food restaurants in the MB area. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
09/18/2019 9:42 pm  

Pearl used to be popular in MBGT.    Then there were some greens problems.  East got 
new Ultradwarf greens about 7 years ago, West tried new bent greens a few years ago
and now West has new Ultradwarf greens to match East. 

I think Pearl is very popular with the locals. 

Thanks for reporting!    It will be good to read about the West.      

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
09/19/2019 3:03 am  

One of my favorite properties in the MB golf area. So peaceful...no homes, a lot of wildlife  very little traffic noise. Seeing an alligator or two is virtually assured.

To get there from South Carolina, you drive through Calabash NC ,then you drive through Golf Heaven.

The Pearls, The Cats, Thistle and others  all within 10 minutes.

Used to be the home of Marsh Harbor and Ocean Harbor too.

Golf Heaven.

Thanks for reporting UGP and I'm glad you got to enjoy Pearl East.

JW

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
09/19/2019 10:44 am  

Thanks for the Update UGP!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
09/19/2019 12:59 pm  

I do completely agree with you UGP about the fact that the Pearls should deserve more love!

Two good courses and when I played there, conditions were also really good!

Thanks for reporting!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
09/19/2019 3:39 pm  
Posted by: @jw11

no homes

JW hit on a very important point - there are no homes on either Pearl track - really makes for a peaceful round of golf

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
09/19/2019 5:54 pm  

Played both courses several times in the past really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing UCP.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
09/19/2019 9:18 pm  

You can see a couple Oyster Bay holes across the marsh too.

I played in in April and there were 3 big gators, including the gator that is always near the pond behind the clubhouse 

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
09/21/2019 12:45 pm  

I agree with you UGP that both Pearls are decent to play, other then hole 6 on the East course. Unfortunately conditioning caused the troubles at both Pearls and groups stayed away.  We play there often and our only complaint has been thin fairways in the months we are down.  Should add the tough undulating greens on East course can also keep golfers away.

This post was modified 1 month ago by leftygar1

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
09/22/2019 6:39 am  
Posted by: @leftygar1

hole 6 on the East course

Agree on this hole - poorly designed.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
09/22/2019 9:46 am  

@undercover-golf-pro

It's one of those holes that we just can't get comfortable on, funny angle into the green as well.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
09/22/2019 10:00 am  

@leftygar1

Played it from the senior tees, hit it over the water off the tee - but went through the fairway into the trees - from the whites it's a layup and a long shot into a very tough green. Wouldn't be an issue if it was 100 to 130 yards in. 

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
09/22/2019 11:59 am  

May give those Senior Tees a try this year, with my patented draw it could be the shot for me.  See you soon.  5 weeks and counting.

This post was modified 1 month ago by leftygar1

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
09/22/2019 7:30 pm  
Posted by: @leftygar1

@undercover-golf-pro

It's one of those holes that we just can't get comfortable on, funny angle into the green as well.

An uncomfortable hole is a good description.   The green angle is not good. 

I agree with UGP that a shorter shot into the green would make it a better hole. 

There isn't enough fairway on the other side of the water to carry the water, unless 
hitting a left to right curved ball in a scramble. 

Possibly the green wasn't positioned as intended.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
09/22/2019 7:41 pm  

Every hole is not a easy birdie hole. UCP just man up and that hybrid on second shot. LOL 

Brownwood Bandit

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: