Notifications
Clear all

Oyster Bay 5.15.20  

RSS

Peter
(@say8pet)
Trusted Member
05/15/2020 4:55 pm  

Played OB for the first time today-mainly because I had never been there before and its under the Legends "royalty club" umbrella. Wanted to see for myself about its condition. PoP was 4 hours which seemed awful given the recent pace of courses in MB thanks to single rider carts.

TEES: never been that particular about the "beauty" of teeing grounds because you've got ball in hand and afforded some latitude from where you can start. Very inconsistent in condition and very few are level. Below are the 2nd (nice) and 17th (naughty).

Oyster Bay2nd (2)
Oyster Bay17th (1)

FAIRWAYS: Much better than I expected from recent reviews. 1st and 3rd shown below.

Oyster Bay1st (3)
Oyster Bay3rd (4)

But again, not as nice as this throughout. The 12th in particular was in bad shape.

GREENS/COLLARS:

Greens were above average(again, a surprise!)-except maybe three of them. Collars were very good all around. Picture below is of par three 6th-the worst green on the course. The player in the red shorts is putting through dirt-not brown grass. The front third of the green is essentially dead.

Oyster Bay6th (4)

The left hand green on the dual-greened third hole has apparently been abandoned. Just a sheet of sand. A shame. Makes the hole much more interesting.

PERIPHERY:

Without question, the worst cart paths I've seen in Myrtle Beach. No big deal-golf was meant to be walked. However, if you find yourself a little loose off the tee-close to those paths-I hope you have an equipment endorsement deal or strong wrists. In forty years golfing, I've never seen so many exposed tree roots on a golf course.

VERDICT:

I'll go again-in a different season to see how it plays but not dying to do so. Some views are nice but nothing that bowled me over. If you're a local, get it off your list. As an out-of-towner, especially with a group, there's better experiences.

jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
05/15/2020 8:24 pm  

Thank you for a great report and pictures to back your opinions. 

The fairway & teeing grass looks a lot better than it has been the last few years.

That is a start..

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
05/15/2020 8:51 pm  

The 17th tee has gotten bigger over time, so being able to move the tee 
markers helps, but when most are hitting wedges, a par 3 tee will suffer. 

The fairway photos look grown in well, with no overseed like we read.  
The #6 green looks like it may get too much shade.   It looks good in your photo. 

In the early 5 years, maybe 10 years, #3 was a par 5.   The tee was farther back
and there were more trees on the left, close to the green.  Being a possibly 
reachable par 5 for some or a challenging 3rd shot for most, it was a bottle neck 
hole, so they made it shorter into a par 4, but now it was a long par 4 and still
had a long challenging 2nd shot.  Some trees were also lost on the left in a
hurricane.   It was still a bottle neck, so they built the straight away green.         

Marsh Harbor + Oyster Bay began the unique/upscale course boom in the 
early 1980's, so those of us who remember OB as a top course, would like
to see it return to a course that we can be proud to bring others to.   
The interesting holes are still there....   

Thanks for reporting on OB.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Trusted Member
05/16/2020 4:58 am  

@artmbgolf

thanks for the info on #3-very interesting. Can't believe the teeing area on 17 was actually smaller. It's still very tiny.

Many locals have told me how great OB used to be. You would have a difficult time convincing a first time visitor that it was considered a premier course if they saw it today.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
05/16/2020 12:22 pm  

Peter, thanks for your report on your findings at Oyster Bay, it will be encouraging for some who wish to play it soon.  Pics are nice to, again thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
05/16/2020 9:04 pm  

Thanks for your report on Oyster Bay. The best time to play Oyster is in late summer (July/Aug/Sep). So if you get a chance to play it again I'd recommend that time of the year for improved conditions.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
05/17/2020 5:42 am  

OB was always a must play in the 90's

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Estimable Member
05/18/2020 3:14 pm  
Posted by: @mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer

Thanks for your report on Oyster Bay. The best time to play Oyster is in late summer (July/Aug/Sep). So if you get a chance to play it again I'd recommend that time of the year for improved conditions.

Agree.  I posted this elsewhere but when I've played here in July or September, the conditions were good and the greens were very good.  A few tees needed help (I've never seen 17 tee in good shape) and the cart paths are terrible.  Other than that, I guess I've been lucky.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Honorable Member
05/18/2020 6:37 pm  

Thanks @Peter for this detailed and fair report!

I’m quite convinced that OB will be back on track in a future not that far away from now!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Honorable Member
05/21/2020 1:53 pm  

Thanks for the update!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
05/22/2020 7:50 am  

Thanks for the update. I appreciate.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
05/22/2020 5:18 pm  

It's unfortunate the course doesn't get many positive reviews regarding conditioning. I recall playing there back in July of 2011 and the greens were phenomenal. Reason why I remember it so vividly is that the very next day I played Kiawah's Ocean course (which would host the PGA championship the following year). The greens at Oyster Bay putted much better and truer than Kiawah, presumably because the latter had Paspalum greens which just don't putt as good as a good Champions or Tif-Eagle Bermuda. So it's a shame that OB hasn't been able to maintain the conditioning level of a decade past.

This post was modified 1 week ago by 1putt1

leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
Share: