Notifications
Clear all

The Witch Closing

Page 1 / 2

BNLongdriver
(@bnlongdriver)
Administrator/Golf Director Admin
Topic starter  

Just got word that The Witch is closing it's doors for good on Nov 21st ... there were a few really nice holes out there, wonder how they'll be able to build enough houses on that land to make it worth their while.  Houses/condos should come with lifetime supply of bug spray and a raft! I just hate all that wild life will be displaced, that is a thriving eco-system that back up to the Waccamaw Wild Life Refuge/Flood Plain. Thanks for the memories Sharon, Howard, Elwin, Graham, Claude, etc .. 

Brian Noblin
Myrtle Beach Golf Talk
Myrtle Beach Golf Packagers
Tidewater Golf Vacations
844-706-7503

mdixon57
(@mdixon57)

That is sad to hear that, another housing plan going up and more wild life displaced.

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Reputable Member

Articl I read said only the back 9, clubhouse & range were going to be developed. 

Front 9 floods too often to try & build there. Glad we played it last year...really a good track.

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member

Always liked playing The Witch.  Fun course, good layout and more gator sightings than just about any other course in MB!  

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member

Enjoyed playing that course the last couple of years.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

The article talks about increased flooding.  If you look at google maps 
with the satellite option, you can see that there are already 
housing developments on The Witch side of 544, both East + West of 
The Witch, so maybe the ground is high enough on the back 9. 

Besides what the article says, the course needs modern greens, 
tree trimming, clubhouse renovations, etc, so that probably factors
into the decision.        

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article253141413.html

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

According to the article, the Wizard and Man O'War will stay open. But we will lose the Witch. I will try to play the course this fall one last time. Thanks for the information.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member

Been putting off visiting The Witch because I hate 501. I will play it before its demise.

Posted by: @bnlongdriver

wonder how they'll be able to build enough houses on that land to make it worth their while.  Houses/condos should come with lifetime supply of bug spray and a raft! I just hate all that wild life will be displaced, that is a thriving eco-system that back up to the Waccamaw Wild Life Refuge/Flood Plain.

bnlong, my playing partner-a lifetime Myrtle Beach resident-has echoed these sentiments many times. Sad to think so many negative repurcussions seem imminent.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

This is a course we play often over the winter time, we will miss it for sure.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

One of the top Mid tier courses you can play... even if it needs updating. The layout,  tge bridges over swamps, tge wildlife are all amazing.

One of a kind!!!

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Estimable Member

Played there on my second trip to Myrtle Beach in October 1990. Great course, but played it in a steady rain and then drove home to Virginia from there. I was lucky I had good rain gear! A very good course, and a shame to see it join the list of others that we've lost in the last 15 years.

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Trusted Member

The Witch was one of the few courses on the Grand Strand that I both hadn't played and actually wanted to play. I'd been meaning to get out there the last couple of years after the earlier rumblings that it might close, but just never got around to doing it. It doesn't look like I'll get the chance now, which is too bad.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

@uncgolf.

You missed a very special ,amazing layout

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Reputable Member

A few shots from our day at the Witch last September. 

Note the water line on my shoes from just walking across fairways (CPO) Casual water everywhere.

aviary image 1601510384985
aviary image 1601505772432
aviary image 1601679050734
aviary image 1601496798519
aviary image 1601661347260
aviary image 1601496692102

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle.

S***H, jw11 and leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
CBP Section 205
(@cbp-section-205)
Trusted Member

Really fun course.  The front 9 is really good.  Back not on the same level.  Worth playing for the first 9 without a doubt.  We are reworking our fall to make sure we get a last crack at it before it is gone.  Thanks for the information Brian.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: