Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Supergilbys Golfapa...

Supergilbys Golfapalooza 2019 - Thistle (04/27/2019)  

RSS

DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
14/05/2019 4:19 pm  

Hi all!

On this beautiful Saturday under a cloudless sky and a temperature of 23 degrees Celsius, but again a bit windy, we went in the Sunset Beach area, more precisely at Thistle for another wonderful round of golf.

For the vast majority of golfers who visit Myrtle Beach, very few will think of Thistle as a potential place to play golf. And yet, here we are talking about a 27-hole course that can easily be considered as an upscale facility that deserves to be better known... and recognized.

Thistle is a links style golf course with lots of water and sand on every hole! Even if the fairways are wide, beware, because if your game is not the way you want, you may feel that the day could be a bit long. But as we say so well: "We could have been in the office instead!"

Today, we played the nines named Cameron and Stewart (the third is called MacKay). And let us tell you that the general conditions were excellent (the best we have had since we arrived in Myrtle Beach until now), whether it's the teeoffs, the fairways, the greens ... and the sand traps.

The greens were pretty fast and for people who like to make the ball bites, there was really something to be happy with.

That said, even if, on arrival, it looked a bit like a zoo (an organized one) at the bag drop, take for granted that the machine is well oiled and that your departure will be on time. And once you’re on the course with your playing partners, it's crazy how the place becomes quieter, even serene. Something that will help you focus on the task for what’s coming next on the course!

A little bit of deception when we came to register: the employee seemed a bit overwhelmed and not really focused on the public relations aspect. But we will forgive him... this time!

All in all, if you have never played Thistle, do not hesitate at all to add this course to your "wish list". And for those who already know of the place, we are 100% convinced that you will agree with us!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

S***H
(@s333h)
Reputable Member
15/05/2019 6:51 pm  

Thanks Denis for an another great report. It is appreciated.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
16/05/2019 11:18 am  

Once more you played a very good MB course, Thistle has yet to disappoint.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
16/05/2019 1:38 pm  

thanks for the update Denis!!!!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
23/05/2019 5:13 pm  

Thanks for the report

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
24/05/2019 10:35 pm  

Great report Denis.

Played Thistle once and it was an outstanding golf course for sure.

A bit pricey for me, but I played at a discount when they were coming out of their "bad greens" problem a couple years ago. The blame went to bad fertilizer.

Fortunately for me...the greens had just gotten a lot better.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Reputable Member
25/05/2019 7:36 am  

Thistle is a great course. Always fun to play this golf course.

ReplyQuote
wolverine12
(@wolverine12)
28/05/2019 10:27 am  

I really like this course too, especially good memory from the last time I played there, I was able to get into a draw for some Callaway clubs & won an XR16  fairway wood. Cost me $5 for a $250 club which is still in my bag.

Frank

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Reputable Member
28/05/2019 3:32 pm  

Good return on your investment Frank! 😉 

ReplyQuote
Share: