Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Supergilbys Golfapa...

Supergilbys Golfapalooza 2019 - Lockwood Folly (05/03/2019)  

RSS

DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
05/14/2019 4:30 pm  

Hi all!

Last chapter of this eight rounds golf vacation in 12 days in Myrtle Beach, this time under the clouds ... with a few rain drops on just two holes, and with a temperature of around 25 degrees Celsius.

We finished it all at Holden Beach, more specifically at Lockwood Folly, a golf course that will for sure please golfers who are on a budget and want to get their money's worth.

Lockwood Folly is a course we could consider "unpretentious" if you compare it with all that Myrtle Beach has to offer. Offering a traditional design as we find many in Quebec (it is wooded almost everywhere), here is an environment where you will quickly feel comfortable and confident. Almost perfect for people who opt for a golf package and who stay in the northern portion of the Grand Strand (about 15 minutes from Rivers Edge, to locate you geographically).

Playing on nearly 6150 yards of white markers and 5029 yards for the ladies, Lockwood Folly is not a golf course that can be considered difficult. The fairways are wide, the water, when there is, is clearly visible or identified (the scorecard is very explicit in this regard) and the greens are of good size. Be careful however about the sand traps (very well maintained during our visit), wich are very present on 16 of the 18 holes of the course.

During our visit, the Greens were spiked a few days prior, to be ready for a big tournament coming in a few weeks. Nothing to complain about, except that they were a little slower than the other places we played in the last two weeks.

We would be regret to not letting you know that the 18th hole (a short par 5 of 453 yards from the whites and 393 yards for the ladies) is incredibly beautiful. It’s a dog leg to the right then, when it comes time to go for your second shot, take a moment to immerse yourself with the view you’ll have. First, the green is ready to welcome you, then a view of the marshes who surround it... and the ocean. It's really a “Wow” effect!

To conclude, have you ever been to Lockwood Folly? If not, feel free to give it a try on a future trip. And for those who have been there before, we are quite convinced that you will agree with us about the fact this course represents a very good quality/price ratio for the golfers who want to save on a golf package.

Unfortunately, this is it for me about Myrtle Beach golf for 2019, since I won’t be able to come back this summer. It makes me a bit sad, but can’t wait to come back in the near future!

Take care all and “Merci beaucoup” for reading my little reports.

P. S. : please forgive me for my English! As a French-Canadian, I’m not really bilingual, but always trying my best!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

kio57
(@kio57)
Trusted Member
05/14/2019 5:01 pm  

Thanks for all the reports Denis! Safe travels home if you are not already there.

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
05/14/2019 5:55 pm  

Thanks for the Report Denis. Yank could always translate if needed.

ReplyQuote
lndnwd2
(@lndnwd2)
Member Moderator
05/14/2019 8:52 pm  

Thanks for all your reports Denis, Very much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
05/14/2019 9:02 pm  

Denis thanks for sharing sorry you want be back this summer. 

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
05/15/2019 6:40 pm  

I have played Lockwood Folly a long long time ago. So it is fun to have a recent report of this course. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
05/15/2019 8:41 pm  

With new greens and new clubhouse, Lockwood is now better than ever. 

Thanks!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Trusted Member
05/15/2019 10:00 pm  

Thanks for all your reports Denis. Your English is fine, but celcius temperatures always look funny to me.?

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
05/16/2019 11:20 am  

Thanks for your reports Denis, good reading.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
05/16/2019 1:36 pm  

Denis that was a excellent report, it is a course i will look at adding one day in my future trips!! Your English is better then mine, people dont believe him. He is a well educated and intellectual person to go along with that awesome personality. He is someone that i am happy to say is a friend. You will be missed my friend this summer. . 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
05/16/2019 4:41 pm  
Posted by: jbshepherds

Denis that was a excellent report, it is a course i will look at adding one day in my future trips!! Your English is better then mine, people dont believe him. He is a well educated and intellectual person to go along with that awesome personality. He is someone that i am happy to say is a friend. You will be missed my friend this summer. . 

A portion of my paycheck is on its way Sheppy Baby! 😉

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
camy
 camy
(@camy)
Trusted Member
05/16/2019 5:59 pm  

Denis.... thanks for all the great reports!!  

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it back this summer.... but you will return i am sure in 2020
and make more great memories!!!

ReplyQuote
wolfpackguy
(@wolfpackguy)
Eminent Member
06/09/2019 2:05 am  

Great reports Denis, your English is better than 86.5% of our natives born in the area.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
06/09/2019 5:08 am  

I lke the accuracy of this statistic ( 85,6 %).

ReplyQuote
Share: