Notifications
Clear all

Recent Trip

Kano Mike
(@kano-mike)
Topic starter  

I did a golf trip a couple of weeks ago. Started on January 14 and finished on February 6. Usually go to South East Asia this time of year but it is closed for now. I was in Myrtle Beach from January 24th to February 6. Would have played more but got rained out on January 31. Played 17 rounds of golf at the following courses:

Tradition

Caledonia

Crow Creek

MBN West

Sandpiper Bay

True Blue

International Club

Blackmoor  

Lockwood Folly

River Club

The Pearl

Pawleys Plantation

Tidewater

Carolina National

Prestwick

Besides these course, I played 11 other rounds in other areas, so my memory is a little hazy. My handicap is 18.5, so keep that in mind when reading my comments. I try to play from 6000 to 6400 yards and 125 to 135 slope if possible.

Most courses were extremely wet. At least 75% were CPO.

Most difficult course was Prestwick

The courses in the worst condition:

Tidewater. Greens were wildly inconsistent. Even the starter said before we started.

Carolina National. Only course I played where none of the grass was green

International Club. Has these little green grasses growing on the green that made the greens extremely bumpy.

Favorite area was Pawleys Island. Enjoyed all the courses in the area. Pawley's Plantation was my favorite. However, True Blue, Caledonia, Prestwick and the Pearl were very close.

Used Brian for 11 of the rounds. Was extremely happy with his service.

I was surprised at how chilly it was. Morning rounds were iffy, afternoon rounds were ok. Part of this trip was to figure out where I want to spend the winters and I have narrowed down to MB or Las Vegas.

Thanks for reading.

Ploots
(@ploots)
Trusted Member

Don’t base your opinion on your winter base on this year as it has been abnormally wet and cold this year. The last two years have been great so we were due for a bad one. Don’t know what a bad one is in Vegas though so may want to go with the better bad winter if that makes any sense.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the report.  Prestwick is one of the most difficult courses in MB, but one of the most intriguing with consistently good conditions.  

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Interesting that you had Pearl as one of your favorites. 

I like it there too.

Was going to play Pawleys Plantation last Oct, but the greens were not good then. 

Thanks for reporting

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

You played a good mix of courses, especially if you are trying to learn MB. 

Based on fewer reports than usual, due to winter + Covid, it has been colder 
and wetter in MB this winter.   

Maybe they were dragging green covers over the greens at TW, if it was
cold the day before.  

Int Club may have Poa Spots.     

Everyone keep in mind if Carolina Natl doesn't overseed.  

Thanks for reporting! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

Thanks for your trip report. You played a lot of very good golf courses during your stay. I noticed that most courses were extremely wet. According to you at least 75% were CPO. The winter was colder and more rainy than the last two previous years. Combining these weather conditons with the Covid situation in the USA, and in particular in South Carolina, we should not to be surprised if we have not readed many golf trips reports during this winter. Even our regular locals golf reporters, not naming them but your know them, seems not to have play a lot of golf during this winter. I regret that but i understand the situation. So it was with a pleasure that i readed your trip report this morning while drinking my coffee and my english muffins. Thanks for that. You made my day!

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Thanks for your report, you had a chance to play a good variety of MB courses.  Agree with you that using Brian is never a bad thing, he is the go to guy to play golf in MB.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member

Thanks for taking the time to report @kano-mike!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the report.  Excellent mix of courses.  Surprised to hear that Tidewater was the worst conditioned.  It's usually good to great.  Carolina National has been hit or miss, although the last time I played it was very good.  As others have said, it's been very wet recently.  This coming week should be better.

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the report. Good mix of courses, too bad about the wet weather. 

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member

Thanks for the report on a ton of courses. like others said been a weird year with weather. Normally in South East Asia i am guessing good golf there? I think Vegas this time of year would have warmer temps and less rain then MB area. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
coastalguy
(@coastal-guy)
Trusted Member

Good range of courses, I agree your rankings shouldn't be based on just this winter as it's been incredibly soaked everywhere from all the rain. Next time you come down try TPC Myrtle or Grande Dunes Resort Club, two of my favorites I saw missing form your group. Good trip.

ReplyQuote
Kano Mike
(@kano-mike)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jbshepherds

Thanks for the report on a ton of courses. like others said been a weird year with weather. Normally in South East Asia i am guessing good golf there? I think Vegas this time of year would have warmer temps and less rain then MB area. 

Thailand golf is decent, not particularly inexpensive but fun. Always above 80 degrees and either hot & humid, hot and dry or hot and raining. Vegas is in the 60's and dry. The high cost of golf when on a fixed income is the only downer I see in Las Vegas

ReplyQuote
GolfdawgZ
(@golfdawgz)
Trusted Member

Vegas baby!!!!   Can't compare to MB.....GDZ

daz

ReplyQuote
hookybass
(@hookybass)
Trusted Member

Thank you for the report.  We've been staying in PI for 20 years.  You have great access to all the wonderful things that Murrells Inlet has to offer.  The restaurants are amazing in the PI/MI area.  Try Willbrook next time.

ReplyQuote
Share: