Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

jw11..PEARL EAST an...

jw11..PEARL EAST and WEST..WILLBROOK  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
08/04/2019 1:57 pm  

I have a lot to say so I am going to speak into my phone to make my report otherwise it would take me forever to type it.

Flew Chicago to Myrtle Beach on Spirit Airlines and there is no problem getting there or getting back home on time.

Unfortunately when we arrived Friday it was raining pretty hard and steadily so we had to cancel our round at the Legends Parkland course. We had lunch at Wild Wings in Barefoot Landing and it was outstanding ..wings and burgers.

Went to the grocery store just to get some fruit and cereal for the 3 days. We wouldn't be in our condo at the prince resort long ..we just wanted to golf and go somewhere for lunches and dinners.

Friday after it stopped raining about 5 p.m. we went over to Possum Trot and hit some balls and chipped and putted and by the way the course looks pretty nice.. it is on my bucket list and I was hoping to play 9 holes there but there were large puddles in the fairways and we ended up just practicing but the course looks real nice and a couple guys said it's in good condition ...they also heard the rumors about Possum Trot closing in October. Went to the Cherry Grove Pier restaurant for dinner and that was very good too.

We were supposed to play Pearl West on Saturday at 1 30 p.m. but we called out there Friday and got a 11:20 tee time on the East course ... they single tee.

We wanted to replay 18 on the west but there was some confusion in the clubhouse and they told us we would have to go off on the East again so we had lunch and then we got down to the starter and he said we could go out on the west and we ended up playing nine holes on the west.

Now I can tell the difference between the two courses the East course is Tighter and it has those smaller greens with crowns in the middle of it and it makes it very difficult to even make 6 foot putts because there is movement on every Putt ... those are Bermuda greens. The West course has less trees and is wide open and has at the moment better greens that are very smooth and they are larger and they are bent grass. Both courses have the three finishing holes along the marsh. We played the back nine on the west. The course conditions were pretty good but the fairways you had to roll the ball because a lot of times your ball would end up in Pockets but I'm sure they will fill in soon. It is enjoyable to see the fairways are very green off of the tee but the rough is still a little bit dormant and mostly brown ..a cool "look"...it's nice to see your target a bright green. We don't get that here in Illinois because we don't have Bermuda so like I said it's nice to see that.

The Pearl golf courses are very enjoyable to play and it is a peaceful setting out there and we saw four or five pretty big alligators which was a plus for my golf partner because he had never seen a gator on a golf course.

One complaint...uneven tee boxes.

The people in the Pro Shop say that big Gator right behind the clubhouse in the pond is waiting on his mate to come and visit him they said that when the female arrives they swim around the pond all day and at night they do the dirty deed and then she leaves again.

On Saturday after golf we went to Bimini's for a great meal and for desert we went to the dollhouse for an hour. When we got there about 8 there was about 20 guys in there and 100 women it was a sight to behold. It's the only time in my life that I had 100 women wanting to be with me.

On Sunday we went to Willbrook and played golf with the undercover golf pro and had a great time.

Again the fairways were good but you might have to roll the ball if your ball ended up in a little air pocket because the Bermuda has not grown in fully but it will be good good soon.

Every other part of the course is in really good shape and it's a very enjoyable course to play with plenty of room in the fairways off of the tee most holes... except for of course the infamous first hole which is tight to play from the whites or the senior tees.

It's always a good time playing with the undercover golf pro and if you ever get a chance ,take it. He is a very good golfer but you don't have to be a very good golfer to Tee It Up with him he enjoys the company of all golfers and he might even give you a tip or two to improve your game (,but only if you want him to).

We had a lot of laughs .

After golf we went to the Dead Dog Saloon in Murrells Inlet and had another great meal before heading to the airport. I highly recommend the Dead Dog Saloon and all the other restaurants near it on the marsh walk ....it's a great place to hang out.

Saturday and Sunday weather was perfect for golf it's unfortunate that we missed Friday but we made up for it on Saturday a little bit and enjoyed our quick trip immensely.

jw11

This topic was modified 4 months ago by jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
08/04/2019 6:08 pm  

Good trip JW - look forward to October!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
lndnwd2
(@lndnwd2)
Member Moderator
08/04/2019 7:09 pm  

Thanks John for your report.

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Eminent Member
08/04/2019 7:10 pm  

Thanks for the report, too bad about Friday

ReplyQuote
Crenshaw7
(@crenshaw7)
08/04/2019 8:32 pm  

John.. nice little weekend trip!! Like the 2 Pearls also!!   

Gary

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
08/04/2019 9:58 pm  

One report on Possum Trot was closing end of Sept.  You would think they would wait
until November/Dec, if they have a choice.  

Nice spring warmup. 
Thanks for reporting! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
08/04/2019 11:09 pm  

JW11 thanks for sharing my friend glad you got to play and the rain stopped. Will be playing with the UCP in June for a few rounds. I will try to give him a game but he is the pro.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
09/04/2019 5:13 am  
Posted by: 6542Golf

JW11 thanks for sharing my friend glad you got to play and the rain stopped. Will be playing with the UCP in June for a few rounds. I will try to give him a game but he is the pro.

A question to all on this thread - Is it just me, or am I getting played by 6542? 

I expect that we are pretty even, but more importantly, as JW and Lefty have learned, it's not about score to me - it's about enjoying the day with friends and beating the course to smithereens! 

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
09/04/2019 8:41 am  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro
Posted by: 6542Golf

A question to all on this thread - Is it just me, or am I getting played by 6542? 

I expect that we are pretty even.

Well...his nickname is Brownwood Bandit,lol.

I've golfed with both and I'm thinking you are pretty even, but UGP may have the local knowledge /home course  advantage .

It will be on pay-per- view, correct  ? 

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
09/04/2019 8:57 am  

We are just playing for the brotherhood of golf. Going to be enjoyable no matter what we shoot. Of course I'm playing senior tees and he's playing the tips.

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
09/04/2019 9:39 am  

I totally agree it is the love of the game and the brotherhood. Golf changes from day to day but friends last forever. That is what is so great about golf is you meet people on the course that last a lifetime. 

P.S. I am way to old to play the tips unless I want to break 100.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
09/04/2019 9:44 am  

We're the same age - but you're taller.  Is it June yet?

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
09/04/2019 10:21 am  

You two were both born on July 11 of the same year.

Crazy stuff right there.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
09/04/2019 10:24 am  

Also while talking to other golfers in Myrtle Beach and at the airport I heard this...

CALADONIA is NOT in good condition and a couple guys were complaining that they shouldn't have had to pay full price for "that".

TPC is in tip-top condition.

FYI

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
09/04/2019 12:32 pm  

You should come to Myrtle Beach more often John (because your reports are terrific)!

Thanks for sharing and hope your local season will come up pretty soon!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: