Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Final Day 3 Boot Ca...

Final Day 3 Boot Camp - Cal & TB  

RSS

Deez
 Deez
(@deez)
April 14, 2019 12:02 pm  

Final Day Report for Caledonia & True Blue (Saturday April 13th) 

First Round @ Caledonia (8:20 Tee time). 

Upon arriving, there were many carts lined up for starting & I know they double book & was very concerned about starting out on the back. My fears were correct & we could not convince the pro shop or starter to get us out on #1 (even with large monetary tip!) . My rationale is that Caledonia #9 is a 105 yard par 3 to finish on & I really would have liked to finish going into that green on #18. So we were paired up with 2 fine ladies who could really play & were a ton of fun to play out with! That in itself made up for starting on #10. On to the conditions - GREENS; as was reported previously, there is concern for some Caledonia greens. #10 green is in bad shape. Numerous bare spots, damaged areas & we were fearful the rest of the greens would be in this shape. When we reached the 11th green, our fears were diminished, the green was in good shape & rolled true - no bouncing along the way. The greens are cut tight & firm but not as fast as I recall in the past. The greens were receptive & would hold shots. In most part, from what I can recall, 75% of the greens played were in good shape - not great. The remaining 25% did have bare spots & less than ideal with some bounce. It could be due to the amount of play or other issues since, but hopefully they will get these back to what I remember playing on. Would I play here now knowing what I know now - Yes. Personally, I love the layout & can get past the few greens that were less than what you would expect. Tee boxes were fine (we played Mallard) but the forward tees seemed to be getting beat up from play. Fairways were fine with great cover & color. Some damp areas could be found in the fairways but mostly near low lying areas on the course. Overall I just wanted to report out on the greens since there was concern. Better to know ahead of time what to expect if you plan on playing there or choose to play elsewhere. 

2nd 18 @ True Blue: Tee time @ 2:20

We were not able to play the full 18 due to time & only played 13 holes (finished on the par 3 & came within 6 inches for a hole in one - great way to finish before heading out! Yes, I did get the birdie).

Conditions: Greens are worst than Caledonia - My estimate is 50% of the greens were bouncing balls all the way to the hole. It may be due to the amount of play or pin placement but there are areas of these greens that are fine that could be used for pin placement.....The greens are much softer than Caledonia. It was disappointing to see TB in this condition but I love the track. Based on the conditions of the greens, I would not play there but that's my opinion only. Tee areas were fine - a little thick as I prefer a tight cut on the tee boxes. Fairways had good cover but again, softer than Caledonia. Bunkers were damp but that was expected since there was some wet weather that moved thru the area the night before. 

In closing, I would wait to hear reports from other members on Cal & TB before making your decision to play if greens are a high priority for you. Wish the report had a better green ratings for these 2 courses that I really love to play. Just want to let you all know what to expect before playing there.

Enjoy all,

Deez

Skippy
(@skippy)
Eminent Member
April 14, 2019 12:46 pm  

Thanks for all your well written reports. 

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Estimable Member
April 14, 2019 3:00 pm  

Thanks for your report, tough luck on the greens being sub par this time of year, it should not happen with the kind of winter we have had here.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
April 14, 2019 4:47 pm  

Thanks for a great report, concentrating on greens conditions.  

Maybe Cal + TB didn't recover so well from last year's problems? 
I don't think they overseed, so that makes it worse if the hybrid greens are slow
to come out of dormancy.   

If you see a lot of carts lined up on the 1 + 10  tees, that usually means big groups,
where the starter gave one speech to all and sent them out to the tees.   
If a course would move you from 10 to 1, with big groups they can't do it. 

Thanks!

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
April 14, 2019 6:17 pm  

When you pay that much, you expect better conditions. Too bad as both are premium layouts. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Trusted Member
April 14, 2019 7:41 pm  

Hoping that Caledonia greens get better planning on playing first week in June.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Estimable Member
April 15, 2019 3:09 pm  

Thanks for the update on your courses and great report!!!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Eminent Member
April 15, 2019 3:46 pm  

Thanks for the trip reports from a hell of a great lineup

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
April 15, 2019 4:47 pm  

Thanks for the reports on your trip. Too bad the greens weren't in better shape.

ReplyQuote
Share: