Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Day 1 - Dunes Golf ...

Day 1 - Dunes Golf & Beach Club  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Deez
 Deez
(@deez)
04/11/2019 8:08 pm  

Boot camp started at 2:30 AM with revelry.  Caught my Spirit flight out of Boston with many other golf groups heading for MB at 5 AM. After landing, got picked up & headed straight to Eggs Up Grille for a hearty breakfast & coffee (Yes!). Staying at the Myrtlewood villas for this short stay & play. Myrtlewood is fine & central for most everything. I checked out whatever course is outside the condo & fairways look green & lush but the rough is somewhat dormant & looks thin in places. 

Course: Dunes golf & Beach Club

I played here 4 years ago & was very impressed with the conditions & staff. I wasn't disappointed today. Check in went quick & the pro shop folks offered advice on the course setup. They mentioned the changes that have taken place since my last visit like the bunkers were done & cleanup to areas. Warm up area is great - hit as many balls as you wish & use the chipping/bunker area  to work on your short game. I wish more courses allowed unlimited warm up. We started on #10 because members were scheduled & Dunes double books.

Tee boxes: I have one complaint (which I mentioned in earlier reviews on other courses). The Gold & White markers look very similar & we didn't notice we were playing the tips until the par 3 (14th maybe) where the card read 156 but the laser read 186. I guess if we were paying more attention, we would have noticed earlier....so we continued playing the tips for the 9 & then moved to the whites - the scores certainly bear witness to the change! Tee boxes were in great shape & cut clean. Fairways were green & good roll out. The rough is still coming in but there are some thin spots around the greens especially near elevated greens which made chipping very difficult. These greens are superb - absolutely smooth & fast! No issues on any hole regarding the greens other than knowing the pace to putt downhill! Great test of putting here. Bunkers (which are everywhere) have good fill & clean. It's good to see the bunkers raked properly by others. Pace of play was good & played in 4:20 with multiple stops for the cart girl. She came to check on us often (tipping helps!). We weren't rushed or pushing the group in front of us which made for a great day of golf at a fabulous course. I will say this course is worth the expense to play. Headed out to eat at Villa Romano for Italian after the round. Had the Fruti Di Mare which was very good. Service was great - Now to watch the Masters recap. I'll report out on Barefoot Dye & Love tomorrow if we don't get rained out.

Enjoy all - 

Deez

lndnwd2
(@lndnwd2)
Member Moderator
04/11/2019 8:14 pm  

Thanks for the report Deez. Usually at Villa Romano I get the Chicken/Shrimp/Veal Parm Combo.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
04/11/2019 10:07 pm  

Serious Boot Camp, off the plane and to The Dunes.  🙂 

Thanks for a great Day 1 Report!

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
04/11/2019 11:34 pm  

Thanks for the report. We're there in a little over a week.. looking forward to it. 

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
04/12/2019 8:56 am  

Skip - I have set up to play with you at Surf and Dunes - should be a lot of fun!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Vtgolfnut
(@vtgolfnut)
04/12/2019 9:00 am  

Gotta love the Dunes course, a great track that is always in fantastic condition. If the price dropped anywhere close to $100 we would play there every year 

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
04/12/2019 10:05 am  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

Skip - I have set up to play with you at Surf and Dunes - should be a lot of fun!

So....we finally get to see the face behind the hat!!!

Looking forward to it, just hope we don't drag your game down to our rusty level. Looks like we'll have about 4 rounds played in about the last 6 months when we hit town. 

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
04/12/2019 10:25 am  

We're out there to have fun and enjoy the day on two very difficult and beautiful courses. Might try and join you at River Hills too.

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
04/12/2019 11:26 am  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

We're out there to have fun and enjoy the day on two very difficult and beautiful courses. Might try and join you at River Hills too.

Absolutely! Some of our best days in MB are measured not by score, but how many laughs & great stories we came away with. 

Couple years back we played Caledonia on Easter Sunday, & that round is referred to as the "Tears of Joy" round. Never had so much fun trying to break 100 before or since.

If you're looking for sympathy after a bad shot in this group, you will find none....but you may find your "friends" doubled over in laughter. 

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
04/12/2019 12:37 pm  

Skip - That's my kind of group - new goal for when we play - no shot that causes peels of laughter!

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
04/12/2019 12:41 pm  

Dunes has so much History in the Clubhouse to see, then a great course to try your game on, thanks for your report.

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
04/12/2019 6:56 pm  

Deez thanks for your report enjoyed the read.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
04/12/2019 9:44 pm  

2 Great reports .

Good luck with Boot Camp /Day 3

jw

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
04/13/2019 7:18 am  

Deez - how many in your group?

ReplyQuote
mborbust
(@mborbust)
04/14/2019 7:53 am  

Great report Deez..our course here in SE MA rounding into shape,but MB is the best,enjoy!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: