Clear all

26th annual trip in the books

11 Posts
11 Users
1 Likes
(@valefty)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

We just finished our 26th annual "We Suck But So What" trip to Myrtle Beach. Over the years our group has numbered between 8 and 32 guys. This year we had 27 - an awkward number, but the courses were great to work with and everything went smoothly.

Some details:

Golf - Played BF Love on rain checks Thursday, 1/16. Course was immaculate! Sunny and windy but a lot of fun. The entire group was in town for BF Norman on Friday,  1/17. This course always seems to get second-level status, but I love it. Again, course was in tremendous shape and the crew at the BF clubhouse was exceptional. We shifted to Grande Dunes on Saturday, 1/18. Cold and very windy. I don't know who designed this course, but how they figured out to have 14 of 18 holes pay into the wind is a remarkable feat. A 400-yard par 4 into a 20 mph wind is not a good match with my 60-year-old swing. But again, the course was in excellent shape and the pro shop/bag drop folks were exceptional. We played BF Fazio on Sunday 1/19. Dark and spotty rain for the first few holes, but warmer than we expected. Broken record, but the course was superb and the pro shop/bag drop guys were great. Getting 27 guys organized and into their carts isn't easy, but these guys were great.

Food - This is VERY important to our group, as we all are single-digit eaters. Ate twice at Wild Wing Cafe, once at California Dreaming, and once at Angelo's. Each stop was outstanding, with excellent service. We always have a group dinner at Angelo's, and they are great to accommodate such a large group. But the highlight, even as good as their food is, always is the magician who works there. I can't remember his name, but for the past two years he's come over to our group and done a short show for tips. I'm never been big on magicians, but this guy is unbelievable. He also performs at clubs in the area. If you have a chance, go see him.

Accommodations - So, here is where things went sideways. For at least 10 years, we have stayed at the BF Yacht Club Villas. Sometimes the quality of the condos can vary, but usually they are at least adequate. Not this year. One of our groups had a condo that had: a) a couch that was literally ripped to shreds, with foam sneaking out of the cushions: b) a refrigerator that was as warm as toast, and had no ice maker: and c) cockroaches. Several others had issues with cockroaches, no towels, no garbage bags, etc. We called the rental company and received nothing more than "we will make a note of it." I know these units are individually owned and the quality will vary, but to get such an indifferent response from the rental company is galling. So consider this a word of warning - if you plan to stay at the Yacht Club Villas, you may want to reconsider.

Finally, thanks to Brian Noblin for booking us for what is probably at least 12 of our 26 years. There is no reason to go with anyone else.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by valefty

DenisGilbert reacted
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Prominent Member

Thanks for the report and you certainly had a great lineup.  Our group would also be classified as "single digit eaters" as we enjoy dining out almost as much as golf.  California Dreaming is an excellent restaurant with outstanding service.  We ate there 3 times last October.  

ReplyQuote
(@kio57)
Reputable Member

We have BF Fazio in our line-up next month, thanks for the report.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Famed Member

It's great to hear about good conditions.  The mild winter so far must have helped. 
Previously BF Yacht Club has had good reviews. 

Thanks for your report!    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Great info Virginia Lefty.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
(@polekat914)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @valefty

"We Suck But So What"

Lol!  This is brilliant!

Posted by: @valefty

single-digit eaters

And so is this!

Thanks for the update.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Good report on some very nice MB courses, thanks for posting VaLefty

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

Thanks for this report. Always interesting at this time of the year to have some golf news!

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
(@obblues)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the report on a great group of courses. Too bad about the accommodations

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Thanks @Valefty for taking the time to report!

Seems that the golf was great, as was the food!

But I'm really sad to see that you had a really bad at BFYCV. I don't really understand why do people aren't taking care of their properties... or visitors acting like real jerks when they rent...

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Thanks for the report you had a great lineup one that anyone would enjoy playing. 

Let the Big Dawg Bark!!!

ReplyQuote
Share: