Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

26th Annual Plutoni...

26th Annual Plutonium Open H  

RSS

Ploots
(@ploots)
Eminent Member
April 15, 2019 1:26 pm  

This year we had 7 guys participating.  We have had as many as 16 and as few as 4.  It seems  to be harder to get guys to go on a week long trip anymore.  I drove down from Parma,Ohio on Friday April 5th and checked in at the Woodsprings Suites for 1 night.  I would not recommend this establishment to anybody.  The office was being renovated and there were no signs as to where it was temporarily.  After having to ask somebody in the hallway I found it.  The room was fine but I ended up not getting much sleep at all due to the person above me playing rap music loudly all night long.  

Saturday I went to pick up one of the guys at the airport and off we went to play some golf.  We went to Azalea Sands as we were looking for something cheap.  I found a rate of $29 online so we booked it.  We got what we paid for as the course was not in good shape.  Some of the greens were unputtable.  I had heard rumors that they were closing but the bag drop guy said no, new management had just taken over with a 5 year lease and planned to put money into it.  My silent thoughts were it had better be millions.  It was a beautiful day in the 70’s with abundant sunshine so the course conditions did not matter at that price.  Shot 84 today as I was a little rusty.

All of the others arrived by Saturday night so we settled in at the Grand Atlantic in 4 and 3 bedroom condos up on the 17 th floor overlooking the ocean.  Our first day of golf was at Farmstead and weather conditions were perfect again.  This course was in perfect condition with quick greens.  No complaints here and everyone enjoyed the par 6 finishing hole.  I did bogey it to shoot 80 but one of our guys did make a birdie 5, which sounds funny.  At night we took in a Pelicans game which is always fun.  It was even more so for me as they were playing my Indians farm team so I got to see some future Indians.

monday had us playing Meadowlands with again perfect weather and course conditions.  Today was the first round of our 72 hole net tournament.  I keep everyone ‘s handicaps over the years as early Myrtle Beach scores are usually higher than home handicaps.  Today I shot 81 so still pursuing the elusive score in the 70’s.  This score with my 7 handicap left me tied for first place with a net 74.

Tuesday had us at Thistle with 90% chance of rain predicted.  It turned out much better however, and only drizzled a little bit .  The course was in great condition with the only complaint being the greens were very slow.  The guard at the gate had told us watch out for the greens as they were fast. Boy was he wrong.  He should keep in touch with the pro shop to tell us the truth or nothing would be better.  Saw our first alligators today which is alway a treat for us Northerners.  Finally broke 80 today but barely with a 79.  This kept me tied for first again with the same guy. We had opened up a big margin over third place of 13 strokes.

Wednesday had us at Rivers Edge and today we were joined by the Undercover Golf Pro.  What a pleasure he was to play with as he is very friendly and unpretentious.  And a good golfer. Our group was impressed as almost every drive and approach was straight as an arrow.  He did not have a good putting day or he would’ve broken par.  Part of the problem may have been the greens as they were very slow but had lots of grass on them.  The rest of the course was in great shape.  Another ho hum sunny day in the 70’s.  This week has been why we come to Myrtle Beach for April golf , to play in shorts and on great courses to serve as spring training for when we go back home.  Shot81 again which put me one stroke ahead going into the final round.

Our final round was held at the Surf club.  For those of you who have not played this gem don’t hesitate to try it.  It is private but Brian can get you on.  Another perfect weather day was only surpassed by the course conditions.  These greens were fast and perfect.  After slow greens the last two days these must have been a shock to my system.  After 41 putts later and an 86 my first place lead was gone quickly.  My opponent putted and played well and had a net 69 for a 9 stroke victory.  He will have his name engraved on our giant trophy and have his picture with our periwinkle blue jacket holding the trophy adorned on next years invitation and newsletter.

Our final round of the week was at Shaftesbury Glen and again there was a 70% chance of rain.  And again we only had a few sprinkles so don’t ever let the forecast deter you from trying to golf.  Course was in good condition with their bent greens smooth and fast although not quite as fast as the Surf.  The greens were very firm though as if they were new greens .  Today I shot 83 and parred the last 3 holes in a row to make th drive home go much quicker.

Some of the restaurants we hit were Flying Fish, Fuddruckers, Sam Snead’s, Carolina Seafood and Steak, Angus Steakhouse, Mr. Fish and the Barbecue House. All were good.  While this was the 26th year of our tournament we actually had 2 years prior to that without a tournament giving us 28 years of trips.  Looking forward to year 29 already.

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
April 15, 2019 1:57 pm  

You have a good long running trip. 

If some want to go, but don't want 7 days, you can fit them into 3-4 days as desired.   

Did you hear a new management name at Azalea Sands?    With PT closing, it might 
work to bring AS up to PT/Beachwood conditions, but I agree on Millions and new greens.

Thanks for a great report!    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Vtgolfnut
(@vtgolfnut)
April 15, 2019 3:05 pm  

Thanks for a great report. You played a great lineup and were fortunate that the weather worker out. We play both Thistle and Rivers edge in 6 weeks on our trip, your report on their  greens has me a bit apprehensive. Rivers edge greens have always been a little slow but I had heard good things about thistle green conditions and speed. Is this a factor of dormant grass or overseed that will remedy itself by late May? Appreciate any help from the experts 

ReplyQuote
ugulini
(@ugulini)
April 15, 2019 3:14 pm  

Thanks for the report, playing Thistle and Farmstead (and likely Meadowlands) in 2 weeks, so it's good to hear conditions are great

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Estimable Member
April 15, 2019 3:15 pm  

Thanks for the great report on your courses and tournament. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Eminent Member
April 15, 2019 3:52 pm  

Thanks for the report.  Always nice to have rainy forecasts not come true

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Trusted Member
April 15, 2019 4:30 pm  

Thanks for the report.  A great group of courses with the exception on AZ.  You are right about the weather report.  It can be raining in one part of MB and others stay completely dry.  

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Trusted Member
April 15, 2019 4:32 pm  

Thanks for the report

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
April 15, 2019 5:06 pm  
Posted by: Vtgolfnut

We play both Thistle and Rivers edge in 6 weeks on our trip, your report on their  greens has me a bit apprehensive. Rivers edge greens have always been a little slow but I had heard good things about thistle green conditions and speed. Is this a factor of dormant grass or overseed that will remedy itself by late May? Appreciate any help from the experts 

After the greens problems last year at various courses, some courses might be extra 
cautious with transition this year.   I haven't seen any speed at RE since the first couple 
years, when they still had good bent grass greens. 

If it's overseed, that will be gone by late May.     

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
April 15, 2019 7:25 pm  

Ploots was a joy to play with - hits it good. RE greens were slow - but I'm seeing that a lot right now around MB - other than Surf and Dunes - played Prestwick today and will report shortly (Hint - greens were slower than normal)

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
April 15, 2019 8:17 pm  

Thanks for your report, agree  with you on UGP saw many laser like shots land close to many pins, he is good to play with and as you said unpretentious.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
April 15, 2019 11:41 pm  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

RE greens were slow - but I'm seeing that a lot right now around MB - other than Surf and Dunes - played Prestwick today and will report shortly (Hint - greens were slower than normal)

What is the story/theory on slow greens in the middle of peak season?    
Let the hybrid grass get going as it starts up?  Maybe cautious after last spring?  

While a few courses like Dunes + Surf might have greens around 11 stimp.  
Courses stimping around 9 probably shouldn't be called slow, but if they are 7 at a
premium course, they aren't earning their peak season $$$.    

This post was modified 2 months ago by ArtMBGolf

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Estimable Member
April 16, 2019 11:54 am  

Thanks Ploots for such a great trip report!

Really enjoy the read!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Share: