Notifications
Clear all

10 Day in Paradise-11/5-11/14  

RSS

bkmgr1
(@bkmgr1)
11/17/2020 8:22 pm  

10 Day in Paradise-11/5-11/14

It has been a while since I’ve been on the forum, but preceding our trip, I was reading quite a bit. This trip was originally to be in March, but got pushed back to November due to Covid. We were originally 12 but lost 1 to work(couldn’t travel to SC as it is on the PA no travel list). Lost another to health reasons and 1 week before departure, we lost another due to caving into his kids about Covid. All golf was arranged by Brian- handled every issue perfectly.

This was our first time coming in the fall. Temps in the 70’s all but last day of the trip. And CPO only last 2 days. I had been to the forum outing many times but that was usually before courses had overseeded. We enjoyed it so much that we are coming next year in November again.

We booked the Legends package this year because a lot of us like their breakfast buffet. Due to Covid, they are serving a full plate of food that each day was French toast, scrambled eggs, sausage links, bacon, tater tots and biscuit.

Accomodations

A couple of us come early to get a few extra rounds and to get more away time from PA. So, we stayed in Malibu Pointe in 4-BR condo. I usually try to get extra days on our main condo or house but they were unavailable. Group stay was at Ambassador Villas 202 on the ocean side of Ocean Blvd in NMB. It is an 8BR place as we all like to stay together. We stayed in this unit 5 years ago and I don’t think they did a single thing to it, including clean it. It was filthy and run down. Worst place we have stayed in the 10 years this group have been going.

GOLF

11/5- Called Brian on way down Wednesday to see where he could get us out. He arranged for us to play Glen Dornoch. This was my first time here and it was in excellent shape. We all loved it. Overseed was very good. POP was also good as we played under 4 hours

11/6- Played Meadowlands through Golf Now for $54. Played the back nine a few years ago during forum outing as a drinking scramble. Greens were actually faster than previous day. Conditions were excellent as well as POP. Finished in under 4 hours again. Will definitely come back. Side not from starter to us was Do Not Go Left as that is where all the trouble is. Right is good. Seemed to be good advice.

11/7- This is moving and arrival day. Rest of gang showed up and settled in.

11/8- Burning Ridge- First time here and was very pleasantly surprised by this course for the money. Low level but in excellent condition. Greens were a little slower than Meadowlands but smooth as silk. POP excellent here also as we are 3 for 3 in under 4 hours.

11/9- Legends Heathland- Conditions were like the movie Groundhog Day. Same as the days prior. Greens were in excellent shape, especially as compared to when we would play here in March time frame. Overseed  perfect but not cut yet in fairways. A lot of the guys complained about hitting out of the rough as well because the Bermuda was not dormant. Definitely got your attention. POP exactly 4 hours.

11/10- Heritage- This was our afternoon round for the Legends package. POP here was terrible. 1:00 t-time so we knew we were in trouble to get it in before dark. 2 groups ahead was playing a scramble against the group 3 ahead which slowed us down terribly. Waited on every shot and our last group finished in conditions I don’t know how they could see. Course was in excellent condition also.

11/11- Dunes Club- A friend of mine is a member there and he got 4 of us on there with him which means we played as a fivesome. The first 4 holes were CPO but it opened up after that. I love this course due to its conditions and layout. This is one of the few courses I could play every day. It reminds me of Tanglewood Park in Clemens, NC that I played frequently when visiting my sister. Greens were the fastest of the week but smooth as silk. Played in under 4 hours and stayed ahead of the group behind us.

11/12/- Legends Moorland- Weather was not cooperating with us this day. Was not supposed to rain until somewhere around 11:30. We were first off the tee at 8am. CPO. Skies opened up 3 times on front nine so we got 9 hole rainchecks. Course was extremely wet as Moorland seems to be the wettest of the 3 when it rains. Was a very tiring 9 holes.

11/13- Legends Parkland- CPO but this course had drained very well from all the rain the previous day and night. This plays the longest of the 3 courses there and the ranger gave us a tip to play the green t’s except for the par 5’s where we played the red t’s which brought the yardage down to around 5800 yards. Course was again in excellent shape for all the rain. The greens rolled well. Overseed in fairways was the longest here probably because of all the rain and warm temps.

FOOD

Grumpy Monk- Old Overtime- food was good and beer cold after a 10 hour ride from NE PA

Dockside in Calabash- This is usually my go to for Calabash seafood but we were all disappointed here. Portion not as large and my brothers Prime Rib was cold like it came out of the fridge.

Molly Darcy’s- Food was very good. Had the Fish and Chips

Benito’s- Love their pizza

Chuck’s Steakhouse- Salad Bar as good as ever. Not big and fancy but excellent. Had the Surf and Turf and it was fantastic.

Dead Dog Saloon- Very good. Had the scallops and it did not disappoint.

Jersey Mikes- Subs were very good and enjoyed by all

Walk On’s- Sports Bar by the entrance to Legends. Huge amount of tv’s and food was very good also.

Hickory Tavern- Excellent place to eat

Boardwalk Billy’s- also excellent

Capt Georges- My favorite place to eat in MB. I love crab legs and they did not disappoint. Fried oysters were melt in your mouth also.

Golden Griddle- This is our breakfast place in NMB. Service is fast and excellent as well as good. Large groups-In-Out and fed in less than half hour. Cater to golfers.

Summary

Even though we had one drop out due to covid fears, we had no issues or fears of it. Every where we ate and went, all wore masks. Anywhere that had salad bar or buffets, you had to glove up each time you went to get a new plate. Saw numerous hand sanitizer stations as well. All in all a great time of year as the rates were much cheaper than the end of March. To our group the golf is only a small part of our trip. We are all friends that like each others company. We also like to go to good places to eat also.

Brian

DenisGilbert and jw11 liked
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
11/17/2020 9:05 pm  

Thanks for posting a great report.  Glad to hear you and your group were able to make the trip.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
11/17/2020 10:18 pm  

Thanks for reporting on what looks like a perfect golf trip.. other than the condo.

Nice job.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
11/17/2020 10:43 pm  

Sounds like you ended up with 9. 
Could you sit together at the restaurants?   
Were they allowed at 50% or full capacity? 

Thanks for a great report.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
11/17/2020 10:54 pm  

I walked into Grumpy Monk on a football Sunday and the place was packed with strangers sitting right next to each other at the bar. Not cool in my opinion.

I ordered a beer and sat in a chair near the lobby.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
11/18/2020 9:25 am  

Thanks for the report. Glad you were able to enjoy the trip despite dealing with covid.  I certainly agree with you about Molly Darcy's, Golden Griddle and Broadway Billy's.  

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
bkmgr1
(@bkmgr1)
11/18/2020 10:29 am  

@artmbgolf

Yes Art, 9 it was. At the Legends they would not let us bring another chair to a table for 8. They had signs on each table telling you max capacity. Most nights we only had 8 as one guy doesn't eat dinner.

Boardwalk Billy's let us have 9 but we were outside. Dead Dog wanted to put our 9 at a booth in the restaurant, but due to our size, that wasn't going to work. I was told that everything was 100% and the restaurants looked it

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Trusted Member
11/18/2020 12:04 pm  

Thanks for the report. Glad to see the weather was warm for the most part. We always do the third Monday in November trips with the start of winter rates and we have had a real mix of temperatures with layers usually coming off during the day.  Always nice to read a new report. 

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member
11/18/2020 7:23 pm  

Nice report thanks for sharing on a good trip. My first trip was in the last of October first of November. The weather that year was great and the courses were in great shape oop's that was in 2000.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
11/18/2020 7:48 pm  

Wonderful trip report that I enjoyed reading from start through finish!

Thanks very much @bkmgr1 for sharing!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
11/22/2020 9:43 am  

Paradise is the key word here!

A very good read. Very interesting your group golf trip. You played very good golf courses. I appreciated to know about the POP and the conditions on each golf course. Thanks for that!

P.S. I like also the pizza at Benito's.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
11/23/2020 10:15 am  

Good report Brian, glad you made it back to MB.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
11/25/2020 9:28 am  

Thanks for the detailed report!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member
11/25/2020 3:56 pm  

Wonderful trip report... Dunes Club is a special treat for sure; that day had to be a highlight.  

ReplyQuote
Share: