Notifications
Clear all

September 2020 Random Musings  

RSS

Skippy
(@skippy)
Reputable Member
10/02/2020 12:39 pm  

So 2020 MB is a wrap for the Larry's, after a 6 month virus delay. First, the courses.

Tees....Best were at TPC. Perfectly flat, good grass coverage. Worst were at the Witch. We played the senior tees....tiny tee boxes, most have a dome shape, & the markers usually only 5-6' apart.

Fairways....really hard to make a call here due to them all being so wet due to recent rains. I would say the thinnest coverage were at Rivers Edge. Thistle & TPC seemed to have the most grass. For the most part I drove the ball really well, & would loved to have seen how far I would have been from the tee if there were even average runout.

Roughs.....Rough is rough, no one stood out to me as being worse than the others.

Greens....slam dunk here, TPC greens were as fast as I've ever seen, rolled perfect, & held shots well. Arrowhead was a close 2nd, after the dew dried out. Worst, also a slam dunk...the Wizard. Still healing from last aeration, looked heat stressed and heavily top dressed with sand.

Bunkers....again, hard to say due to all the rain, butTPC had obviously been worked by hand that morning, so they get the nod.

Staff...clear winner..Grande Dunes, where you get a warm welcome from everyone you deal with. Arrowhead a close 2nd, along with Farmstead. Worst...the Witch. Not treated badly, but the bag drop guy looked like the mechanic who works on the mowers. Older Asian woman in the pro shop said maybe 3 or 4 words to us as we checked in. Later in the day on our way to the grill, the guy who appeared to be the head pro never even looked up ad we walked thru the pro shop.

In general.....

The Witch looks & fells like a course that's about to go under. They had an empty tee sheet the day we were there, clubhouse is run down. The "beverage cart" is a girl in a regular golf cart with 2 coolers. A shame, because it's a fun track, & if it had been dry, would have been in good shape.

Lodging...Barefoot Yacht Club North tower has never let us down.

Food & nightlife. The Barefoot Marina Seafood Grill behind the towers is still open & hopping every night.  We ate there once, fairly cheap, but don't order the burger...not good. Also ate at Putters Pub one night, everybody's food was excellent. Met Brian & Minta one night at Chucks, we just had drinks & appetizers,  all ok. Lasagna at Umberto in BF landing was phenomenal!! Tried to eaat at California Dreaming & House of Blues, both closed..not sure for how long.

Virus....everywhere you go, there's a sign on the door that says masks are mandatory, & most people comply, restaurants & bars, they come off & stay off once seated.

& for the first time in 30 years, we did not make an appearance at any GC's....yea, I know, lame. But it just seemed like a not so smart idea, especially for those of us with a spouse at home, but we're all 65+, a couple of us smoke (medicinal for me) We decided back in the Spring that until a proven vaccine is available, best not to tempt fate. Besides, kind of figured might be a lack of talent on hand, & those that were there would be pushing hard for the $'s, trying to make up for lost time.

Best Golf Packager...Brian Noblin, who's held that title for about 20 years now.

That's about a I can think of....happy to try & answer any questions I can if you got em. 

Now to start planning Spring, 2021!

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle.

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/02/2020 12:45 pm  

Here's a couple of pics Skip took of me that can be shown - he's good with the camera. #4 at GD  #17 at RE

gj on 16 at RE
17 RE

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

Skippy liked
ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
10/02/2020 1:15 pm  

It's good that you got your 2020 MB trip in.    

The Witch amenities have looked old for a long time, including the
standard golf cart for the drink cart, although the course has
usually been OK.     

I am thinking the same things as you about the GCs.   
A smoke filled place seems more likely to carry any CV around the
entire place.    

I'm also planning for Spring 2021.  Hoping for the vaccine before then.  

Thanks for all of your great reporting! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

Skippy liked
ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
10/02/2020 2:34 pm  

Glad you were able to make that trip @Skippy!

And I can't wait to see your next trip report, in Spring 2021!

Take care and my most sincere thanks!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

Skippy liked
ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
10/02/2020 3:04 pm  

Glad you got your trip in finally and smart move with GC's not worth tempting fait. 

Wait UGP in a Red hat didnt think he had one. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

Skippy liked
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/02/2020 3:32 pm  
Posted by: @jbshepherds

Wait UGP in a Red hat didnt think he had one. 

A gift from the bandit - it's his club in Texas  The Hideout Golf and Resort

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Trusted Member
10/02/2020 4:24 pm  

Thanks for the report. Glad you got your trip in. I'll miss the annual GC report

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
10/02/2020 6:18 pm  

Glad that someone got to visit MB this year.  Thanks for the reports & rankings.  Brian has been my packager and friend for the past 25 years.  Will be back in 2021.

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Reputable Member
10/02/2020 8:09 pm  

From the afternoon round at River's Edge.

3 pretty good tee shots on #5.

Shot 37 on the front & 5 over after 15, when the rain just got to be too much & we ran for cover.

Frank warned me when I got a speeding ticket on the way down that it was a bad omen about the week to come.

I called bullshit, & gave myself 1 over on the last 3 for a 78. 

aviary image 1601682336833
aviary image 1601678840999

aviary image 1601682691647

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
10/03/2020 10:14 am  

Thanks for posting your thoughts on your MB trip.

ReplyQuote
kio57
(@kio57)
Estimable Member
10/04/2020 10:54 am  

I'm shocked that the GC's are open. Likewise, I will not be frequenting any until there is a vaccine. Glad you got your trip in.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/04/2020 5:33 pm  
Posted by: @kio57

I'm shocked that the GC's are open

During the height of the pandemic, probably the safest place to be was the golf course - and it still is. I refuse to stop living. The odds of dying are extremely low - especially with no underlying conditions

ReplyQuote
chaz
 chaz
(@chaz)
10/04/2020 5:48 pm  

@undercover-golf-pro I know its a golf forum but just to clarify for you .  GC is not golf course but Gentlemens Club.  I agree the golf courses are very safe but the other GC is far from a safe place to be.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
10/04/2020 6:36 pm  

Great report and pictures. 

I know I will be an Honorary Larry on one these years.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

Skippy liked
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/05/2020 4:05 am  

@chaz

Posted by: @chaz

GC is not golf course but Gentlemens Club

It's obvious I have a one track mind