Clear all

New Golf Galaxy  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
12/09/2019 1:29 pm  

With this new twin format, Dick's won't need space for a golf dept.   

My Dicks has been growing their golf dept, but it's still not as big as a Golf Galaxy
store, which isn't as big as a PGA Superstore. 

I think Golfsmith's Extreme store in MB closed mostly due to Golfsmith folding.   

It's nice having another golf store, but it's difficult to drive past the PGA Superstore, 
where we know they have what we want, unless it's out of stock.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
12/09/2019 2:32 pm  

@artmbgolf

I try to give PGA Superstore some business in Myrtle Beach even if I don't frequently buy new clubs from them. I usually purchase used clubs, gloves, apparel discounted from them. Its a good store with a very good inventory. At Golf Galaxy, it seems to me that the selection is poorer. It is surprising for a "specialty" store. I would say that the PGA Superstore is in general superior all around. Maybe that i am wrong, just my opinion.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
12/09/2019 7:28 pm  

Good prices on indoor lessons at Golf Galaxy.

I've never had a lesson , but have inquired about lessons "for a friend" .

The instructor tapes your swing for a few minutes then the instructor and student watch the tapes together and the instructor points out the students weaknesses,  then they work on them at the indoor hitting bays.

Fyi.

Maybe something to consider during the winter season.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
02/18/2020 11:53 am  

I am interested in the new store to see how it goes, i do like the PGA superstore but dont buy clubs, i get other things there when in town. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
02/18/2020 3:48 pm  
Posted by: @jw11

One positive thing about Golf Galaxy though is I went there asking about getting fitted for irons and the gentleman told me it was $100 to get fitted but if you end up buying the clubs the $100 goes into the price of the clubs.

So,basically you get your $100 back (or you don't pay for the fitting).

Fitting=$100

Clubs=$500

Total out of pocket=$500

Which is a great deal compared to all these new club fitting stores that are opening up.

Most of these stores want $150 for the fitting.... and you do not get that money back if you buy the clubs.

Clubs =$500

Fitting=$150

Total out of pocket=$650

FYI

jw11

JW - who knew you are a math wizard - had to use some calculus figuring all that out!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
02/18/2020 3:50 pm  
Posted by: @jbshepherds

I am interested in the new store to see how it goes, i do like the PGA superstore but dont buy clubs, i get other things there when in town. 

Best case scenario for us golfers is that prices come down (especially on used clubs) due to competition

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
drmelotti@aol.com
(@drmelottiaol-com)
Trusted Member
02/20/2020 4:22 pm  

I to am a used club buyer, for the most part all my buying is Callaway for Callaway, you can not beat their prices off the preowned site, just purchased a Callaway Epic Flash in Like New condition (It may of been an indoor demo or closed store stock) but still have the stickers on it, my price $285 with OEM headover, Dicks was still selling them for $539 and Pro Golf for $500, I do this with irons, wedges, and putters. Plus Callaway will give you about 30% more trade in value for your clubs than the PGA Blue Book values, our Ping rep loves to call me a Cally slappy, but their equipment and particularly their customer service is second to none.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
02/20/2020 7:41 pm  
Posted by: @drmelottiaol-com

I to am a used club buyer, for the most part all my buying is Callaway for Callaway, you can not beat their prices off the preowned site, just purchased a Callaway Epic Flash in Like New condition (It may of been an indoor demo or closed store stock) but still have the stickers on it, my price $285 with OEM headover, Dicks was still selling them for $539 and Pro Golf for $500, I do this with irons, wedges, and putters. Plus Callaway will give you about 30% more trade in value for your clubs than the PGA Blue Book values, our Ping rep loves to call me a Cally slappy, but their equipment and particularly their customer service is second to none.

Good to know

thanks

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
03/07/2020 2:22 pm  

@drmelottiaol-com

I'll second this. My last two iron set purchases have come off the Callaway preowned site. Each set was in "Like New" condition, and I couldn't tell that any of the clubs had ever been hit. Savings were significant off retail prices--my last set, Apex CF16s, cost about $450 at about the same time my local Golf Galaxy had my exact set, 4-AW with the same shafts, for over $1000. Stock is spotty so if you're interested, it's probably worth signing up for their emails or, if not, checking the website regularly. About six months ago, I developed a deep nick in the sole of my 7-iron. On one of my recent visits to the website, I noticed they were selling at clearance a 7-iron CF16 with exactly my shaft flex and lie. For $28 with free shipping, I put the nicked 7-iron in my practice bag of clubs and put my unblemished 7-iron in the rotation.

Callaway preowned is definitely a site worth checking out.

I'm not sure I'd hold out much hope for Golf Galaxy offering significant competition on club prices. I like them and have bought from them, but their club prices can be a bit high. On the other hand, I used their club repair services on an old Hogan 62 degree Tom Kite wedge, and they (or perhaps more accurately, the company they shipped it to) did a spectacular job.

This post was modified 7 months ago by lwildernorva

ReplyQuote
drmelotti@aol.com
(@drmelottiaol-com)
Trusted Member
03/07/2020 6:14 pm  

Was on the range today at Barefoot, gentleman next to me asked about my driver (Epic Flash), told him how pleased i was and how much better it performed vs my Ping G400, he was from Canada and didn't know about Callaway preowned, I gave him the low down regarding price savings and quality of equipment plus customer service, he couldn't get back fast enough to his computer to check the site out, will be another happy customer.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: