Clear all

Full time residents, or those who know them  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

coastalguy
(@coastal-guy)
Trusted Member
11/19/2020 6:35 am  

I would recommend you look into the Murrells Inlet, Pawley's Island, or the Litchfield area. you are still close to Myrtle Beach, but these areas have more "local-oriented" amenities compared to downtown Myrtle and surrounding areas such as Carolina Forest or River Oaks area. Plus houses in these areas have only gone up in value because of the amount of people moving down here such as yourself, so the quicker you can buy the better. I love living in this area and so does my family, no more snow and taxes and year round golf! Hope your transition goes well!

ReplyQuote
GolfdawgZ
(@golfdawgz)
Trusted Member
11/19/2020 7:24 am  

@undercover-golf-pro....As soon as Troon allows guests again....You and Brian will get an invite.  Most of the folks in the hood aren't traveling and playing golf instead.  We'll have over 200,000 rounds this year.  With the vaccine coming should be summer time before guest are allowed back in.  Troon wants guest back as well...Cost them almost $2M  at St James alone since the virus.  Let's see if Brian can get a day away and play somewhere in MB??   GDZ

daz

ReplyQuote
DCBogeyman
(@kladusky)
11/19/2020 12:30 pm  

We have vacationed in both HHI and Myrtle Beach (North End - Cherry Grove Section and South End - Pawley's Island) for years.  We decided in early 2019 to buy a home in the HHI/Bluffton, SC area.  We contacted a local Real Estate agent who gave us a lot of good input.  He convinced us not to live on the island.  (To many weather related evacuations - more than the HHI Chamber of Commerce will ever admit too - plus the HOA fees and assessments can be very burdensome.)  

So, we looked at a number of homes both new and existing in Bluffton, SC.  While we found a home we liked, we were concerned with the amount of new home building taking place in and around the Bluffton area. On our way home from HHI we stopped by to look at a new home in Pawley's Island we had seen on the Internet.  We bought it.  (After closing we rented it back to the builder to use as model home.) 

Why we chose the Pawley's Island house over the Bluffton house: Pawley's Island area has little to no room for large production builders such as Pulte to build large tract housing, read - laid back area. We are a ten-minute drive to the Pawley's Island beach which has plenty of public parking.  While I like and enjoyed playing many of the golf courses in and around HHI, the Grand Strand has about three times as many courses.  Dinning - HHI wins here but, Pawley's Island and Murrell's Inlet have some very good choices.  Our home has no HOA fees.  I can get to 10 golf courses in 3 - 10 minutes.  

Update:  We took a mini vacation in early October (Pawley’s Island) to meet with an interior decorator to start picking out furnishings.  When we got back home (Wash., DC) we decided to sell the DC house and move to Pawley’s v. split time between the two. We plan on moving in February 1. (Lot’s of work to do to get the DC home ready for sale!)

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/19/2020 6:49 pm  

Glad you liked Pawleys - a beautiful area - very down home there. And good to get out of the cesspit that's DC!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
11/19/2020 8:22 pm  

When playing Brunswick County courses back to back with Pawleys area 
courses, during the Spring and Fall transition periods, I have noticed that 
the south courses are a few weeks ahead coming out of dormancy in the
spring and they don't get frosted into dormancy as soon in the fall. 

It's a small though regarding moving.  Average highs aren't much different, 
but the nightly lows seem just enough lower on the north end to affect 
the bermuda for a few weeks in the spring and fall.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Eminent Member
11/24/2020 12:52 pm  

Thanks for all the feedback, it's really been great to read.

We had largely ruled out NMB and that area as we prefer the Murrells Inlet/Pawleys area. All the posts touting it made us look at it again. While it's definitely a beautiful area, and we could definitely be happy there, visiting it did confirm our preference for the south strand.

We've got it narrowed down (for the moment) to three possibilities: a second-row Intracoastal Waterway home in a gated section of Arrowhead, new construction in a development off Forestbrook Ave in Myrtle Beach (far enough back from 501 to be able to avoid it), and new construction in a development off McDowell Shortcut Road in Murrells Inlet. We've got a bit of work to do on our MA house before it goes on the market, but we're hoping for January. If the Arrowhead house is still available at that point, that's our first choice. Can't beat the view of the intracoastal, and we'd have the walking paths and docks along the waterway that are part of the development. 

We like the Murrells Inlet location better than Forestbrook, but like the house options better in Forestbrook. Both properties have water views (good sized retaining ponds). Pricing is a little cheaper in Forestbrook, but not enough to make it a clear winner.

This could all change depending on what is on the market for resale homes when we close on the MA house.

Going to be a fun decision to make. 

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
11/25/2020 2:50 pm  

So, it could be "thirdandgoal" when it will be time to make your final decision! 😉

That said @secondandgoal, more seriously, whatever the decision you'll make will be the best one for sure (I'm always trying to be on the optimistic side)!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Eminent Member
11/25/2020 3:33 pm  

@denisgilbert

As long as I don't wait until 4th and goal, I'll be safe!

In reality, I think it's near impossible to make a "wrong" decision about where to live down here. It's a matter of making the "most right" decision!

ReplyQuote
bkmgr1
(@bkmgr1)
11/29/2020 8:12 pm  

@secondandgoal

My daughter had a house in Sugarmill Plantation off of Forrestbrook and loved it. The location was easy to get around by either 501 or 544 or the side streets. 

Brian

ReplyQuote
om18v
(@om18v)
Eminent Member
12/03/2020 8:36 am  

@secondandgoal

We considered Arrowhead Grand back in 2012 and again in 2017.  Most of the entire gated section is in "proposed" flood zone.  A few years ago a hole that runs along the waterway was underwater and there was partial street flooding in the community.

Just a heads up.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: