Clear all

Full time residents, or those who know them  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Eminent Member
11/15/2020 10:03 am  

After yet another great visit, and seeing what the real estate market is like back in MA right now, Mrs. Secondandgoal and I have decided to pull the trigger and make the move down full time. We're down for a couple weeks right now, but once we get back and finish off a couple projects, the house goes on the market. 

So here's the question for those who live down here full time, or have friends who do: What area do you live in, are you happy with it, and why or why not? Are there any areas that you'd avoid, and why?

Our plans are fairly wide open right now. The plan is to sell the house in MA and stay in our condo in Murrells Inlet while we house-hunt down here. Golf is definitely a focus, though we're not sure if we want to pay a premium to be in a golf course development, unless the HOA fees included golf and it was a great course. EDIT: One thing is that we are definitely looking for a stand-alone house, not a condo. We have beagles, and don't want to have to worry about them making enough noise to annoy someone with a shared wall. That's one thing we hate about our current place down here.

msp3455
(@msp3455)
11/15/2020 3:41 pm  

I moved here to Myrtle Beach in August from Braintree.  Been coming here for about 20 years for the World AM and was pretty familiar with the area having stayed everywhere from North Myrtle all the way down to Murrells Inlet.

I bought a house at Legends and so far have no complaints.  In fact, the house is twice the size of the one back home and sold for $100k less.  Have everything you need within a 15 minute drive.  I know people complain about 501, and it can be problematic at times, but it's not so much of a problem for me that it deterred me from buying here.

I have always been a fan of the Legends Golf courses.  The staff can be a little rough around the edges but for the value I can deal with it.

ReplyQuote
SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Eminent Member
11/15/2020 4:15 pm  

Good feedback, msp, and thank you. I hear ya on the more house/less money thing. We're looking to downsize a bit, and are looking at new construction for almost half what our house back home will sell for. That's a big part of why we decided to make the move now.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
11/15/2020 4:44 pm  

I don't live in MB, but have visited often over 40 years.  It's still hard for me 
to decide what area I would want to live in.   

The north end around the NC/SC border has lots of value courses nearby.  
Central is more congested, but you are near everything. 
South end has mostly premium and fewer courses, were tee times can be 
harder to get in peak season.     

If you are going to join a private or semi-private course, you don't want
to be too far from it.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
GolfdawgZ
(@golfdawgz)
Trusted Member
11/16/2020 12:08 pm  

First off congrats on the move!  You'll never regret it!!  Check everywhere before deciding.  We live in Brunswick County NC - just above Horry Co. SC.  Many great courses nearby and we live in an 81 Golf hole complex called St James Plantation.  No outside play, 4 great clubhouses and courses owned by Troon. It all depends what your budget is and how often you plan to play golf, and what other social activities you want/need.  We are truly spoiled for choice in St James.  We built a new home 3 years ago....but there are resale homes, condos, & townhomes, New homes, and duplexes in side of the 'hood. 

I am a full golf member playing 4-5 times per week.....but other levels of membership are available if you play less often. We get local rates at Horry and Brunswick county courses as well when we want to play outside the neighborhood.   

All the best in your search!!

GolfdawgZ

daz

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Eminent Member
11/16/2020 3:35 pm  

Thanks for the feedback, GolfdawgZ. As nice as it looks, that area isn't a viable option for us. We are planning on keeping our condo here as an investment property, and there's a HUGE tax advantage to being SC residents. We also want to be relatively close by to handle any emergencies, and my mother is here in Myrtle Beach, which is a bonus to the move. Ideally we'd like to be within 30 minutes of both the condo and my mom's place.

I definitely love the idea of a place like St. James. I wish there was something like that in this area.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
11/16/2020 4:33 pm  

Barefoot, The Reserve, Wachesaw Plantation, DeBordieu, Pawleys 
are some upscale communities.  

A couple months ago there is a topic from a member moving to MB, where 
he posted about exploring various neighborhoods and courses, where he 
listed some price ranges.    Try to find that topic.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
11/16/2020 10:40 pm  

I moved to MB in 2015 and was very familiar with the area between Ocean Isle Beach to Little River.  Because I travel often for business (although not currently because of COVID), being close to the airport was a big plus.  After searching for apartments in Sunset Beach, Little River, and all over Myrtle Beach, I rented in the Market Common area.  After living in the Market Common area for about a year, my wife and I bought a place in Emmens Preserve, which is one of the Market Common developments.  We really enjoy this area.  It's close to the beach, walkable/golf cartable to shops, restaurants, parks, exercise trails, etc., and is very well maintained.  It's very close to the airport and easy to drive to many golf courses.  We are very happy here.

ReplyQuote
ZiggyGolfer
(@ziggygolfer)
Eminent Member
11/17/2020 10:33 am  

I recently moved here in August also. I had been looking for a couple of years at where? I had been coming down since '75 on and off and sort of knew when I retired this was the place. I looked from Murrels inlet to as far north as Shallotte, NC. It seemed for me the north end of SC fit the bill for what I wanted. As Art said many more mid priced courses than the south end and away from the congestion of the tourist season in the Mid area. My primary area of search was Little River, SC. After much looking on what I want and from MUCH input from the girlfriend we found it nice place just across the border in Calabash, NC (mailing address) just north of 17. we are away from the hustle and bustle of the main area yet so close to everything. the difference between SC and NC was not much of a factor for me as it may be for you so do your due diligence before deciding. I went for new construction but there were a lot of others (used) available. Right now I live between two good golf courses when leaving either end of the development and not the worries of owning Golf course property or cost. I have found the whole area very friendly and affordable and the weather a plus so far. Once my hip and back issues are resolved plan to play much more golf as that's the main reason i came here.  Good luck on your search

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by ZiggyGolfer

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/17/2020 7:01 pm  
Posted by: @golfdawgz

I am a full golf member playing 4-5 times per week

Still waiting for my invitation!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/17/2020 7:32 pm  

I am 3 miles west of hwy 9 off 905 8 minutes from LB, Aberdeen, and Shaftsbury. I was in the country, however, there are 4 developments going up now between me and Hwy 9. If you're looking for housing in the low 200's, there is a lot of it in these new developments. I like the area as where I am it's still country - we have 5 private acres  The negative to where I live is that I average 30 minutes to most of the places I play. The shopping in North Myrtle is 20 minutes - most everything is there. If I had my druthers, I'd live in North Myrtle/Little River and join Surf Club, however my wife likes having a small farm. I like the north end better than the south - and MB proper is too busy for me.

UGP and Mrs 1

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Reputable Member
11/17/2020 7:36 pm  

@undercover-golf-pro

The St. James courses were a staple in our rosters until they went private. All good tracks.

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
11/17/2020 10:33 pm  

If we ever move down , we look from Little River to Crescent Beach area.

Easy access to rt 31 and can get anywhere in Myrtle Beach pretty easily... and it feels like home (away from home)

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
wolverine12
(@wolverine12)
Eminent Member
11/18/2020 11:46 am  

My buddy Pete bought a house in Plantation Pines across the 9 from Colonial Charters, nice 3 bed 2 bath house.

I've been going down 2-3 times a year from Canada to visit him since he moved down 3 yrs ago, previous to that he was doing the snowbird rentals for a few years.  Last trip was holidays 2019-2020, not able to go since because of Covid.

Last time there, there were a few homes for sale in the subdivision & he has told me that new units were being built further in.

Its about 7 minutes to NMB via 31 & Main St exit.  An area to look at.....

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member
11/18/2020 12:15 pm  

Although we have not made the commitment to reside full time in Brunswick County, we have owned a very comfortable townhome in Brunswick Plantation for 15 yrs.  We visit often and make an extended, four-month stay during the winter, Jan-Apr.  When we originally purchased our property, we made an extended visit to try some locations, see how it felt, kind of a deep exploration for each of the communities.  We stayed at Sea Trail, Pawley's Plantation, and an oceanfront high rise as well.  We knew the Grand Strand as many vacations had been spent in the area dating back to 1983.  In addition, we took self-guided tours and tours with a realtor at numerous locations including Sea Trail, River's Edge, Brunswick Plantation, Brick Landing, Golf Colony @ Oyster Bay, Crow Creek, Meadowlands, Heather Glen, just to name a few.  We looked at so many options that our heads were spinning.  The final decision to buy in Brunswick Plantation was an analysis of several factors including the northerly location which is essentially midway between ILM & MYR airports, getting out of the congestion of MB, convenience to NMB, convenient access to my desired golf courses, property price to value for our family, and a secure community.  We do enjoy our location as access to Sunset Beach is excellent, local restaurants are terrific, and we now have friends from our VT home that have moved into the community.

There's lots of great options for both NC and SC.  The lifestyle, weather, beach access, golf variety, and value are all great attractions; the area housing and residential communities continue to expand. 

Enjoy your search.  

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: