Notifications

Bunkers and no rakes....  

RSS

kio57
(@kio57)
Estimable Member
03/22/2020 10:02 am  

I forget which one of our UK friends posted the letter from their club. I noticed that when they listed the no rakes in traps they also stated that bunkers should be played as GUR. I was playing Friday and our course had removed the rakes. I got in a trap and asked if traps were designated as GUR and no one knew. Anyone else's clubs making the designation or are we just supposed to play it out of the trap and "foot rake"? 

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
03/22/2020 11:02 am  

We're moving it in the bunker only if a bad lie due to no raking.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
03/22/2020 11:15 am  

My home course has gone take free. Our bunkers are horrible & schedule for reconstruction this spring. Some can be played out of, others are a free drop...subject to approval by your playing partners

ReplyQuote
coastalguy
(@coastal-guy)
Eminent Member
03/22/2020 12:12 pm  

I'd say if its rake free, then splash a little sand around in a bad lie and replace the ball. Should not be penalized for no rakes, but you should be penalized for hitting it there as I usually do, lol. I think we all could use some bunker practice 😆 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Prominent Member
03/22/2020 2:08 pm  

Whether it's your foursome, group, league, etc, create your own local rule. 

I feel if the sand is level and not full of holes, play it.  Otherwise it's more
realistic to smooth the sand and place your ball there, instead of removing
from the bunker or playing from a foot print.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
kio57
(@kio57)
Estimable Member
03/22/2020 5:23 pm  

This all makes sense and I wonder if the GUR in the UK notice meant a free replacement in the trap as well. All the traps I hit were machine raked so no issues and I played them from the trap and "foot raked".

ReplyQuote
mborbust
(@mborbust)
03/22/2020 9:27 pm  

USGA has a statement on flagsticks and bunkers.

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Eminent Member
03/23/2020 6:48 pm  

The Pointe Golf Club, just to the south of me and just to the north of the Dare County Outer Banks (currently closed to visitors) recently posted a set of guidelines from the National Golf Course Owners Association that they are following. Here are the major points:

• Our golf shop will be closed to all members and guests.
  • Our food and beverage facilities are closed as well.
  • Restrooms in the clubhouse and on the course will still be available
  • When possible, please pay for your round in advance.
  • Only credit and debit cards are being accepted as forms of payment (Visa, M/C, AMEX, Discover).
  • To facilitate payment for your round or if you need assistance, please call our golf shop staff at 252-491-8388.
  • Clubhouse door handles, counters, light switches, etc. are being cleaned/sanitized on a continual basis.
  • Golf carts are being sanitized with a disinfecting cleaning solution after each round, with special focus on steering wheels, seats, and handles.  Clean carts will be stocked with a fresh scorecard & new pencil each morning
  • All flags on the practice putting green have been removed
  • All water coolers have been removed from the course.  Please plan accordingly
  • Please putt with the flagstick left in the cup.  TEMPORARY LOCAL RULE: Take a “gimmie” if your putt is within a putter’s length of the cup.
  • All bunker rakes will be removed.  Please smooth over any disruption to the sand to the best of your ability. TEMPORARY LOCAL RULE: Free relief from all bunkers; nearest point, no nearer the hole.
  • Golf ball washers have been temporarily removed from the course.

I play here and at several surrounding courses on a regular basis. This sounds like the way forward for us golfers.

ReplyQuote
GolfdawgZ
(@golfdawgz)
Eminent Member
03/24/2020 10:05 am  

ST James Plantation has done the very same.....they also put a small piece of pool float in each hole so the pin never has to be touched.  I'm just glad we are still able to play.  Please remember all service employees during this time and tip a little more.  They are getting killed. Pray for some hot weather to burn this thing off.

Fairways & Greens,

GolfdawgZ

daz

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Eminent Member
03/24/2020 10:11 pm  

Since I get emails from various associations, including my club in Scotland, I thought it was worth letting you know that in the past 24 hours, I've gotten emails from the Glen in Scotland, the Southern California Golf Association, and the Metropolitan Golf Association in Maryland that courses are closing. Courses near my home in Virginia as well as those just over the border into North Carolina are still open, and it looks as if Myrtle Beach is trying to hold onto business as normal. But I have to say, the trend is now towards closing golf courses as well.

ETA: And consistent with the policy throughout the UK, St. Andrews and all of the other courses in Scotland are apparently now closed.

This post was modified 3 days ago by lwildernorva

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Eminent Member
03/25/2020 7:01 pm  

Unfortunately, more closings in Myrtle Beach, including Wild Wing, Willbrook, and River Club: https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/coronavirus/article241501881.html . I'm supposed to play Friday at Kilmarlic, another one of the courses between my home and the Outer Banks. We'll see if things change by then.

ReplyQuote
RickK
(@rickk)
Eminent Member
03/25/2020 9:31 pm  

Simply out of curiosity, I have a question about course closings.....

If in an area where people are told to stay home or shelter in place...are they allowing golf course maintenance personnel work?

Have to wonder how long you can really go without mowing and be able to bring a course back within a reasonable amount of time.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Prominent Member
03/25/2020 10:58 pm  

I stopped in my nearby course (Not MB) and could see by the grass that they
were still mowing.  It's early in the season here in DE, so the grass isn't
growing much yet. 

If the grass is growing, they need to be able to mow it occasionally. 
Maybe this would fall under something like the car dealer sales being closed, 
but the service dept still open, which we have.   

I walked on the putting green to see the conditions, good for March, and
noticed they filled all the holes, I guess to discourage some from
practicing.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Honorable Member
03/26/2020 11:31 am  

MY Local course is still maintained but it is the owner and his Super(Nephew) doing the mowing daily. They are also Aerating soon so when we can play it will be ready to go. He said they are doing whole course even fairways with Aeration so they come back nice and strong. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Honorable Member
03/26/2020 7:49 pm  
Posted by: @jbshepherds

MY Local course is still maintained but it is the owner and his Super(Nephew) doing the mowing daily. They are also Aerating soon so when we can play it will be ready to go. He said they are doing whole course even fairways with Aeration so they come back nice and strong. 

Hope you’ll be able to enjoy your local pretty soon my friend!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Share: