Notifications
Clear all

Tony's Italian in Calabash

leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Went here today, on the same road as The Boundary House, right beside Ella's, have to say the pizza is decent and price is good.  Also they have a full array of Italian food on the menu.  Beer is cold and wine is okay.  Could be a nice place to stop by after a game at the area courses, Sea Trail, Oyster Bay, Thistle, Pearl, Sand Piper.  Large enough inside for a good sized group, ( 16 to 20 say ) not a lot of ambiance, but seating is comfortable.

OBBlues
(@obblues)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the report. We tried and liked this place for a casual meal after a game, Pizza was decent and cheap at that point. 

leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member

Passed by it more times than I can count and have never stopped.  Thanks for the info!

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Estimable Member

Tony's has the best pizza available anywhere within 20-30 minutes.

It doesn't hold a candle to Roberto's (which had some of the best pizza in the United States), but they don't make pizza anymore, so it was nice to discover Tony's as a decent option. Everywhere else we've tried since Roberto's stopped making pizza wasn't very good.

leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Good to read your thoughts on Tony's, we enjoyed the pizza there plus there other Italian dishes are not bad either, to us on a Par with Chianti South with less acidic sauce.

jw11 and uncgolf liked
ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Estimable Member

@leftygar1 Chianti South used to be incredible (one of the best places to eat anywhere on the Grand Strand), but I haven't been back in several years because the last two times I ate there it was mediocre.

I notice it's still very busy, so maybe they've turned things around? I hope that's the case, but haven't wanted to risk it when there are so many other options. 

jw11 and leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Not sure if Chianti South has turned things around, hope they have, we always found the sauce although tasty to be quite acidic.  Places like Gino's in Gator Hole Plaza ( very unassuming ) to have good spaghetti and meatballs and terrific manicotti, not much for atmosphere but prices are good, best to take out we found.  Tony's in Calabash is a nice spot to eat in, large enough as well to accommodate a group of 16 golfers no trouble.

jw11 and uncgolf liked
ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Posted by: @uncgolf

It doesn't hold a candle to Roberto's (which had some of the best pizza in the United States), but they don't make pizza anymore, so it was nice to discover Tony's as a decent option. Everywhere else we've tried since Roberto's stopped making pizza wasn't very good.

Wonder why- if Robertos had great pizza - they stopped making it

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @jw11
Posted by: @uncgolf

Wonder why- if Robertos had great pizza - they stopped making it

The chef/owner said it was a combination of being bored with it and that they didn't make as much money on it as other dishes. For the latter, though, they could have just raised the price -- people would have still been willing to pay considering how good it was.

It doesn't make any sense to me. The place has been around for like 40 years, and for the first 10-15 years of its existence it was solely a pizza place with a counter and a few tables in a little strip shopping center. The quality of the pizza is what originally made them enough money to expand into a full restaurant.

I think the current chef/owner is the son of the original owners, though, so that could be it. Maybe he was never that interested in making pizza and finally took the opportunity to just stop.

jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
w082828
(@w082828)
Trusted Member

We ate at Chianti South on our trip to MB in mid April.  We eat there every year.  This year, as usual, the food was excellent and the portion sizes are huge.  Good wine selection too.  

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member

Roberto's did have excellent pizza.  Everything else I had there was not very good.  

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Estimable Member

@w082828 That's good to hear -- a few years ago it really went downhill, but I've been wanting to try it again to see if it's back up to the previous standards.

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Estimable Member

@polekat914 I agree. The rest of their food is mediocre -- the pizza was the reason to go. There are better options nearby for regular Italian food (La Cucina is fantastic).

But the parking lot is full every time I drive by there in the evenings, so it doesn't seem to have hurt their business any.

ReplyQuote
Share: