Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Your Top 3 Most Ple...

Your Top 3 Most Pleasant Surprises  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Estimable Member
January 8, 2019 10:56 pm  

I've been pleasantly surprised as a first-timer at some courses I talk a lot about ..like the Pearl's, the Witch , Shaftsbury Glen ,Farmstead and River Hills... but I will go with  these three lower tier courses.

1) BURNING RIDGE 

This was 7 or 8 years ago and I was just looking for an inexpensive place for my wife and I to golf and there was a coupon in the paper for this course.

I had not heard much about it , and was not expecting much

But I was very pleasantly surprised at the very good conditions of the course and the workers there were very friendly.

It was a great experience

2) LITCHFIELD

I played the River Club, Founders , Caledonia and True Blue on the same trip and I was expecting Litchfield to be the worst of the bunch from what I had read ,but I actually thought it was better than River Club and Founders 

It was in much better shape than both.

3) BEACHWOOD

This course was 1/2 a mile away from where I was staying 2 years ago.

My girls wanted to use the car so I had them drop me off .

I was just expecting a low tier experience,  and was sort of shocked at the better than average conditions. 

I was also surprised by the amount of people that played there . I could tell a lot of them were regulars .

Good subject!

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
January 9, 2019 5:18 am  

Beachwood gets a lot of local play, but they also sell one month memberships to visitors in the winter. And the location is excellent for the out of towners too.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Estimable Member
January 12, 2019 4:02 pm  

Great question, for me I would say River Hills it was in very good shape and Pro Shop guys were great.  Then I had a chance to play Wachesaw Plantation, man a good course with so many nice holes and views.  Last I would say Cape Fear National, it was solid for all 18 holes and conditions were great.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
January 12, 2019 4:15 pm  

The pro at River Hills is Sam one of the only woman PGA head pro's in the area - she's awesome. Bag guys and all the shop guys too. RH is the hidden gem of MB

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Estimable Member
January 12, 2019 10:11 pm  

Just remembered another pleasant surprise.

The first time I ever played Tidewater ..about 10 years ago.. I went into the Pro Shop and paid and then I was looking for a straw hat and found a real nice one that had a Tidewater  band on it.

..went back up to the counter to pay and the guy told me that the hat was on him,and thanked me for coming out.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
January 13, 2019 9:11 pm  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

The pro at River Hills is Sam one of the only woman PGA head pro's in the area - she's awesome. Bag guys and all the shop guys too. RH is the hidden gem of MB

I agree. Great course.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: