Clear all

Toughest Opening/ Closing Holes

9 Posts
8 Users
21 Likes
ScottyMTL
(@scottymtl)
Topic starter  

Hi Boys,   Thought it would be fun to throw around opinions on thoughts of Toughest opening/ closing holes on the Strand.

Been lucky enough to come down 14 times from Montreal, and play 55 courses.  For me the Toughest opening hole stands out clear,  Willbrook #1  They throw out a 400 yrd banger for you out the gate,  Handicap #1   with a well protected right side of the fairway with some of Willbrooks Beautiful trees

For the Toughest closing hole, had to debate in my mind a little bit.  Decided on Tidewater 18,  pretty as ever finishing hole,  but what a beast,  always seems to play it into the wind lol.     Prestwick 18  and Glen Dornoch 18 were a close second.         

Would love to hear thoughts,   maybe ill change my mind after hearing other holes i forgot about.

Cheers 

Scottie 

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

My first thought was the same as yours: 
Willbrook #1  +  Tidewater #18   

Other possibles #1: Meadowlands    

Other possibles #18:  BF Dye - Moorland - Long Bay - River Hills    

There aren't many hard first holes, since designers usually avoid that. 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Estimable Member

The toughest closing hole by far is if you get sent off 10 at Rivers Edge and have to play 9 as your 18th hole.

Tidewater 18 is a really good choice for toughest closing hole as the course was actually routed, though.

jw11 and DenisGilbert reacted
ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Great topic @scottymtl!

I totally agree with Wilbrook for the toughest opening hole in all the Grand Strand area.

As for the hardest finishing hole, I would opt for Barefoot Dye!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

jw11 and jbshepherds reacted
ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

@uncgolf 

We start on #10 often in MB, so I thought about that on some of the courses 
and didn't think of many.    Oyster Bay #10 can be a tough start. 

RE #9 is a good choice as a tough 18th hole.   
It grows tougher as the hdc rises, but isn't an automatic par for a low hdc.     

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

jw11 and uncgolf reacted
ReplyQuote
BrianK
(@briank)

@artmbgolf Spot on with Long Bay #18.  Why is it every time I play there, I am also dealing with a 20 mph+ headwind.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Honorable Member

I'll throw in another vote for Meadowlands #1.  I don't think I have ever made par on that hole!

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Hole #1 at Willbrook sure comes to mind, I'll toss in #1 on the Fazio course at Barefoot.  For  a finishing hole The Wizard #18 can be brutal into the wind as #18 at Tradition can be.  RE #9 is just a white knuckler every time we play there, as a finishing hole might be the toughest in MB.

jw11 and DenisGilbert reacted
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Famed Member

#1 Meadowlands in an unfair starting hole. #1 at Willbrook is unfair to short hitters - and is too easy from the senior tees. #1 at Sea Trail Jones is a long narrow hole that doesn't give up pars too often, #1 Burning Ridge is a very difficult starting hole - even as a par 5. #18 at Long Bay, Tidewater, #9 Rivers Edge, and Barefoot Dye all play tough no matter what tee. 18 at Fazio from the White tees is long and tough. Super easy from the seniors

Flip side is easiest #18 - Rivers Edge ( and a great hole)

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

DenisGilbert reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: