Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

The Open  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
19/07/2019 6:20 am  

Rory,Tiger,Phil.

A combined +20 after rd#1.

Rd#2...watching as I type.

Thoughts.

I wish they would have more aerial views of the golf course cuz that is why I tuned in to check out the golf course but they are pretty much showing a putting contest with an occasional approach shot or drive.

Tiger... he is wearing sweatpants at The Open everybody else is wearing slacks or golf slacks and tiger has sweatpants on like he is golfing a casual round with his buddies.weird. 

Spieth... he had birdie ,birdie, eagle ,birdie on front nine to put himself in contention. He's not acting squirrelly like in recent tiurneys. He is looking at his situation,  then hitting his shot.Not much banter with his caddy, which is good. To me ,it seems Speith annoys his caddy ???

Rory..hometown boy shot +8 first round.

Shanked his drive on first hole... quadruple bogie. Ouch.

JB Holmes.. on auto pilot. Love thefade on every shot. Makes golf easier if you know which way your ball is bending.

Course- from what I can see- looks to be in great shape. 

Thoughts ???

JW

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
19/07/2019 6:35 am  

Rory is a surprise Tiger and Phil not so much

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Reputable Member
19/07/2019 7:34 am  

I like this Open. Weather will be a big factor. Wind and rain are on the menu for the weekend. Patience. Patience. I like the odds for Koepka. He is my favorite to win the claret. Tiger and Phil will not make the cut.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
19/07/2019 1:28 pm  

Media exposure may have messed up Rory. 

I didn't see Tiger, but he may have had rain pants on. 

The greens are slower than other PGA tour events, but they normally are at 
the open. 

Duval had 2 lost balls and hitting a wrong ball on the same hole.  He probably
plays for fun and to talk about it on TGC.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
RickK
(@rickk)
Eminent Member
19/07/2019 2:00 pm  

I have been watching quite a bit of it the last couple of days.  Never played in Ireland but have played a number of rounds on links courses in Scotland.  This is true links golf...not the imitation we see here in the US.  From what I can see of this course, you have to know your line on your shots and hit that line.  If you don't the penalty(ies) can be severe.  The undulations on and around the green complexes are a big factor.  Of course the greens are way slower than greens in major championships in the US.  And, then there is the weather.  You can have all 4 seasons....in one day.  Golf course itself looks absolutely wonderful.  Would love to get to play it some day.

I don't know who will win...but I don't see it being anyone from the US.  

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
19/07/2019 2:52 pm  

Rory is making a run to make the cut. Should be an interesting weekend finish

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Reputable Member
19/07/2019 3:00 pm  

Lowry and Holmes are surprises. Westwood and Fleetwood can win. But Koepka will be the winner. These guys are good.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
19/07/2019 3:02 pm  

Would like to see Westwood win

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Reputable Member
19/07/2019 4:42 pm  

One of your favorite UGP? 😎 

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
19/07/2019 4:43 pm  

Rory shot a second round 65 but was a little far back after the first round to miss the cut. The weekend rounds should be interesting with the quality of players near the lead. it will be really interesting to see how they fair if the weather moves in.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Reputable Member
19/07/2019 5:06 pm  

Too much pressure on Rory for the opening round. He played like Rory is able during the second round.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
19/07/2019 5:17 pm  

Not a big fan of Westwood - but he's been so close. I don't expect him to come out on top, but you never know.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
21/07/2019 4:32 am  
Posted by: @rickk

I don't know who will win...but I don't see it being anyone from the US.  

Good call .

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
21/07/2019 4:54 am  

More thoughts. ..

When they show an aerial view of the entire property, the unused holes (for this tournament ) have fairways that are not nearly as green as these. I suppose it is a 36 hole facility. 

Makes me think they watered the fairways more than  usual  for the TV viewers. TV viewers don't like brown fairways and the ratings suffer (it's  true).

Tee time intervals are supposed to be 10 minutes apart, but I'm timing 15 minutes.

I'm watching at 3am central time ,so watching the Bubba's of the tournament  that are +3 & +4 to start the final round.

Speaking of Bubba... he went to tbe yellow ProV1 as soon as they were available. 

Molinari went into a funk after losing a big lead to Eldrick Woods at The Masters. He hasn't gotten out of that funk. I didn't  like how Eldrick "gamesmanshipped" his way to that Masters win, but, so be it (aka- standing 15 feet from the pin and staring down Molinari as he was shooting out of the sand trap. Or Eldrick standing in view of his opponent as his opponent is putting (the intimidation game).He won many a tournament that way. Bad sportsmanship in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.

Anyways, it looks like it is Lowery or Fleetwood for the win. Lowery knows the  course well and is up a few strokes.

JW

This post was modified 1 month ago by jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Reputable Member
21/07/2019 5:49 am  

For Molinari, he is such a good golfer. He is in a slump, he will win again.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by S***H

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: