Several courses las...

Notifications
Clear all

Several courses last week

uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I played a bunch of golf in the area last week and here's a quick conditions report. Most courses had dry brown fairways due to a lack of rain, which was fine -- it's fun to play bouncy, rolling fairways as long as they're not just dirt.

Glen Dornoch: This was the worst course I played. It wasn't terrible, but the fairways were really thin and the greens were bumpy with bad spots. It's a shame because it's a very fun, scenic course but I won't be playing there again this year.

Barefoot Fazio: Conditions here were okay, but a bit disappointing for Barefoot considering what they charge. The greens weren't as good as normal/you'd expect, although I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid it.

Myrtlewood PineHills: Very good conditions. Smooth, fairly quick greens and the fairways were actually green -- you could tell they'd been putting a lot of water on the course.

Legends Heathland: First time I'd ever played here and absolutely loved it. Definitely jumped into my top 10 and maybe top 5 of public courses in MB. Conditions were excellent tee to green; they were probably the second best greens I played on all week.

Rivers Edge: Greens were very good and comparable to Heathland. The fairways and tees were very thin in places with not much grass at all, but the greens were so good that it was easy to ignore the bad tee boxes.

Barefoot Dye: Easily the best course I played in terms of overall conditions. Fairways and greens were both perfect.

Farmstead: As usual, in very good shape. I don't think the greens were quite as good as the above three courses, but certainly nothing to complain about.

Carolina National: The fairways were very good here and the greens on one nine (Egret) were pretty good, although they had a lot of encroachment from common bermuda. The other side we played (Ibis) had been aerified and were not healed; they were very slow and bumpy. The Heron nine was closed, presumably for ongoing aerification. 

Thistle: In very good shape tee to green.

Overall, Barefoot Dye was a step above everything else I played, including the Reserve down in Pawleys Island (which, as is typical, was in very good shape but not quite as good as Dye). Glen Dornoch was the only course I'd avoid due to conditions. Hopefully the area will get a couple of days of rain sometime in the next few weeks because it's desperately needed.

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Thanks for a great condition update report on a bunch of the courses.   

Good to hear about the RE greens. 

I have noticed that the BF Fazio greens usually are firmer, faster, less 
plush than the other BF courses.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The BF Fazio greens were a little on the slow side and not as smooth as normal. They certainly weren't bad, but the greens on the Dye course were significantly better.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the report.  Glen Dornoch is on our schedule in October so I hope that conditions improve by then.

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@tadpole I wouldn't be too worried about it.

As I said, I wouldn't go back and play there right now when there are so many other options, but it wasn't bad enough to make me want my money back. The greens weren't dead or anything like that.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Wonderful report @uncgolf!

You're making me quite envious for sure! 😉

Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Thanks for your take on several very good courses.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Good stuff UNC

exactly what this forum is here for.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member

Thanks on a great read of the many courses you played. Will be in MB in 2 weeks we are playing Heathland and Fazio so very good info on those courses.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Thanks for the update on all the courses on your Trip!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the report.  From driving up & down 17 often, Myrtlewood has been looking really good despite us not receiving any substantial rain in a while.  It seems like inland received some rain over the past few days, but along the coast, we haven't had much.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

Thanks for your report. Like you i consider that Heatland is a great design. I like to play this course during my trips in MB.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
Share: