Clear all

sea trail courses  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

jchez444
(@jchez444)
Eminent Member
06/29/2020 9:22 am  

heading down this week and a buddy of mine gave me a free round at the sea trail courses. which one is in best shape, looking to play wither 6/30 or 7/1

Its a family vacation and looking to see best place to take the kids fishing both freshwater and saltwater. 

thanks

joe

leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
06/29/2020 11:20 am  

Back in March, Jones and Byrd where in decent condition, Maples was okay but first 2 greens were poor and roughs were not good.  With warm weather down there I am sure all 3 are better then the time we played, for me though I love the Jones and would say go with that.  You will also see gators on all 3.

jchez444 liked
ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Estimable Member
06/29/2020 11:25 am  

Don't know about the current conditions at Sea Trail.  The last time I played the Byrd Course it was in good shape but it has been a while.  Sea Trail has been receiving more positive reports over the last year or so.

As for fishing, I do a good bit of that around here.  Where are you staying?  The Market Common pond is a good spot for bass, panfish, & the occasional cat.  There's a pier over the Great Pee Dee River where you can catch anything in brackish water.  I've pulled some nice cats, some eels, and saw some monster reds jumping (didn't hook any of them).  There's also nice bass as it is just at the top of Winyah Bay.   You could also head to Lake Moultrie or Lake Marion, where there's some of the best largemouth fishing on earth, as well as several other species.

For saltwater, hitting piers or chucking bait from the surf is OK.  The bite tends to slow in hot weather but I've had good days in July.  Huntingdon Beach State Park has a jetty (it's a long, hot walk, but can be worth it) where you can fish inlet side & surf side.  It's a good way to get into deeper water without a boat and there's lot of structure to fish around.

jchez444 liked
ReplyQuote
jchez444
(@jchez444)
Eminent Member
06/29/2020 11:28 am  

@polekat914

staying at a buddies place near broadway at the beach. Will be shorefishing and just trying to get the kids a bent pole. in md we have electric only reservoirs so no point in towing the boat down lol

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Estimable Member
06/29/2020 11:59 am  

@jchez444

Market Common pond for freshwater fishing then.  It's not far away from Broadway at the Beach.  There's plenty of parking and easy access around the pond, from the dock, etc.  Not sure how old the kids are but there's also an incredible playground across the pond called Savannah's Park.  Depending on how you feel about COVID, it's something else to do.  We take our little one there often (before COVID).

Soaking bait in the ocean this time of year will be tricky because of the amount of people around you.  You could try heading to MB State Park but you may have to walk a ways to get into the clear.  There are some public parking spots around 38th, 40th, and up where the crowds (can be) a little lighter.  You still may have to walk a bit to avoid people.  Early morning/after 5 or 6 PM will be your best bets.

Let me know how you do.  Feel free to Private Message me if you need anything else.

jchez444 liked
ReplyQuote
mperna2001
(@mperna2001)
Trusted Member
06/29/2020 1:14 pm  

Jones course was in pretty good shape the end of May when I played it. Find it to be a better layout than Byrd, have yet to play Maples but by most indications I've seen seems it's 3rd best. Cant speak to that personally. Enjoy your time.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
06/29/2020 6:15 pm  

@mperna2001

Play the Maples course. It is worth the try. You will like this one.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Honorable Member
06/30/2020 2:08 pm  

From what I read here over the years, I would opt for ST Jones, by a nod over ST Maples.

Have a great stay in Myrtle Beach and make the most of it with your family!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Estimable Member
06/30/2020 3:14 pm  

If all three are in good shape, I would go with Maples > Jones > Byrd.  Most people would recommend Jones > Maples > Byrd.  With that said, all three are good courses.  

ReplyQuote
jchez444
(@jchez444)
Eminent Member
06/30/2020 5:33 pm  

thank you everyone for the responses, got in at 230am and was up and out the door by 9. Played the Maples course with two residents both very nice a Mo and Ricky who lived there. They were playing up and I shoulda played the blues at 6400, insureds I opted for the whites at 5900. Course was in good shape, was pretty lush around and u can tell they didn’t want to cut low to prevent burn outs. Greens were hairy and slow but enjoyable, shot 79 with 3 3putts. 

neat little course tho and will try and play the other 2 this week

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
06/30/2020 6:50 pm  

I like Jones the best with Maples a very close second. Jones was in pretty good shape when I played it a couple months ago.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
07/01/2020 12:28 pm  

@jchez444

Glad you enjoyed the Maples course, it is fun and that 9th hole is one of the best Par 4's to play anywhere..

ReplyQuote
jchez444
(@jchez444)
Eminent Member
07/01/2020 12:44 pm  

If was I enjoyed it. I’ll be playing and early around again. Either fri, mon or tues, haven’t fully decided where yet. If anyone here is playing and has an opening let me know might be able to meet up 

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
07/01/2020 4:56 pm  

I agree with LeftyGar concerning the ninth hole. One of the best in the North Carolina.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
jchez444
(@jchez444)
Eminent Member
07/04/2020 11:40 am  

Played Byrd course yesterday, longer then maples, greens slightly faster then maples but still slow. Course definitely doesn’t drain as it was soaked but shake was ok and playable. I enjoyed this course more then the maples. Struggled early couldn’t buy a par then settled with a cpl of birdies. Finished with an 80 but definitely left 3-4 dumb strokes out there lol

next

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: