Notifications
Clear all

Sea Trail Byrd - 01/26/20  

RSS

leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
01/26/2020 2:44 pm  

Played here today under sunny skies, a cool north wind, temps around 46 at tee off time.  1st off the tee today and our POP was 3:30, CPO on 4 holes.

The course is in decent condition, all tee areas had an over seed on them, coverage was okay.  Fairways also over seeded and bit soft due to late Friday rains, mud balls an issue on a few holes.  Roughs are not as good as the Jones course with many areas having roots to deal with.  On the plus side trees are beginning to be cut down to open up the spots that the sun does not touch this time of year.  Greens were surprisingly good with better then average speed, they rolled very smoothly.  In the past the greens here have had a problem with a patchy looking growth, but today nothing at all.  Traps had not been raked yet, but lots of sand in them once they are.  Overall not to bad for the price, a good value course though to help in keeping costs down for you if the budget is tight. 

Finally fixed my computer problem so here are a few pics at ST Byrd.

sea trail 018
sea trail 015
sea trail 014
sea trail 011
sea trail 005   Copy
sea trail 001

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
01/26/2020 8:03 pm  

Sounds good for ST improvements.  

Thanks! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
01/27/2020 11:07 am  

Great to hear Lefty!  Especially happy to hear the greens are in good shape.  I played the Byrd course within the last year or so and conditions were good at that time as well.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
01/27/2020 12:01 pm  

thanks for the update on the course. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
01/27/2020 12:52 pm  

Thanks for reporting once again Gary and happy to read that Sea Trail people are working hard to improve their courses!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
01/27/2020 3:23 pm  

@denisgilbert

Denis, it is good to see the mid tiers begin to upgrade the courses, cart paths are also on the schedule as the tree roots have many of them tough to drive on.  Best thing though was the no tufts of grass growing on the greens causing them to be bumpy.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
01/27/2020 3:26 pm  

@polekat914

Greens on the Byrd course were very good, nice to see that they were that way when you last played it.  Maples is up next but maybe pushed back a week as it is very busy there next Friday when we wished to play.  Everyone I have spoken to say the wall to wall over seed is good and trees have been removed, can't wait to report on what we find.

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Trusted Member
01/27/2020 6:39 pm  

Thanks for the report. I haven't played any of the Sea Trail course since I played all 3 for $93 which goes to show how long ago that was. I remember Maples being my favourite of the bunch. Nice to hear they're starting to come back. 

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
01/27/2020 7:36 pm  
Posted by: @obblues

Thanks for the report. I haven't played any of the Sea Trail course since I played all 3 for $93 which goes to show how long ago that was. I remember Maples being my favourite of the bunch. Nice to hear they're starting to come back. 

I remember that deal!  That was a popular choice for my family and I when on vacation.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
01/28/2020 8:54 am  

Thanks Gary for this update.

Played all the three courses at Sea Trail. I would rate this a close second to the Maples course. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
01/28/2020 1:24 pm  

I visited ST Maples in Oct.   It was closed.  The bent greens on 9 + 18 looked
good, like they had been rested and not ball marked up.  The putting green 
didn't look so good, but I don't think it ever looked good.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
01/30/2020 7:53 am  

@artmbgolf

ST Maples will change eventually his bentgrass greens (A1/A4 blended Bent grass) like many other courses have done in the last 2 years. Just a question of time. It is a no brainer. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Share: